Dubrovnik Cable Car and Hike Down Srd Hill

I can't help with all your questions but just wanted to pipe in as someone who enjoyed this hike and would encourage others who like to hike to try it. I get very tired of those who say it takes too much time. For those of us who enjoy something more physical in port than shopping and looking at old buildings (if only to justify another crème brule at dinner) it is not a waste of time but pleasant diversion.

The trail was hard to find and I can't recall where I found the best directions - maybe trip advisor? Once on it, you cannot easily stray - it is in most places wide enough for a four wheeler. The trial has a consistent uphill grade for most of its length. I can't recall how long it took us to go up and down but even with the hike we managed to see a lot of the old town afterwards, including walking the walls, during our one day stop.

In the interest of full disclosure, there were a few issues with this hike. While the views are spectacular along the way, this is because you are on a treeless hillside with absolutely no shade and no shelter if it rains. If it is hot you will need to carry plenty of water and there were no good spots for a picnic along the way, although there would probably be someplace to enjoy a lunch on top. The path itself is a series of switchbacks and the trail surface is dirt and cobbles so a hazard if you are prone to twisting ankles. There was more litter than I am used to but maybe it was off season and not well tended.

We are in mid-fifties and in reasonable shape and did not have any trouble managing this hike.

The trail is as badtwin describes above. It is finding the beginning which can prove to be difficult as it begins on our jadran highway above the old town. You may want to consider taking the cable car up and walking down, why hike both ways? Whatever you decide, bring plenty of water and do not expect to find any soft grassy areas to sit for a picnic at the top.

Thanks both of you for the info. We walked from Fira to Oia in Santorini last September -- not an ounce of shade but we'll worth it for the views.Furthermore we live in a rather sunny place ourselves and always hike with mucho water, brimmed hat and sunscreen liberally slathered. We can't wait to see Croatia. We have done over a dozen other Med cruises but somehow missed this part until now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Fira to Oia in May 2009 and it is incredible. We did Dubrovnik in November 2013. The Dubrovnik hike is similar in grade to the donkey trail part of the Fira hike, maybe a little more gently sloped, and thankfully without the stampeding donkeys and their "reminders."

Yes, nice to know we won't have to worry about those slippery and stinky "reminders" we encountered on the walk up to Fira from the tender stop-- though it would appear there are more dangerous things to avoid on this hike were we to make the mistake of wandering off the trail.Anyway we are looking forward to it. From the photos I have seen the views from the top look amazing.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from our wonderful trip to the beautiful Adriatic. Since we were on Seabourn we anchored in the bay next to the old city and took the tender to town. From the drop off point we headed out of the old city toward the terminus of the cable car. Once there we could not figure out which set of steps went up to the highway and the beginning of the trail. My husband made the mistake of asking a taxi driver for directions. Bad move! He told us it was very complicated and we would never find the way on our own but for 100kuna he would drive us to the beginning of the trail. I said it seemed like a lot for a short drive, he said oh it is quite far. Finally rather than waste a lot of time and energy before the hike we gave in. At most it was a 5 minute ride. I felt ripped off but it was not going to ruin my day. As others have noted, only the first quarter of the hike is in the shady woods. Then you come out into the full sun. What was fascinating to me was that at each switchback there was a large bronze plaque depicting one of the stations of the cross.We hiked up in about and hour --- grueling but worthwhile for the views. When we reached the top we heard the most beautiful choral music coming from the church. My husband said perhaps we had died and gone to heaven.We wandered around a bit and took some photos. One of the most amazing views from there is inland. Them we hiked back down to the highway where we started. Quicker and easier but a bit slippery and there are many loose stones. This is not a refined trail.From there we crossed the highway(Sunday--- not much traffic) and walked to the left. After about five minutes we found what looked like the small road down to town. A short distance down we picked up the pedestrian route and continued with no problem. When we got to the approach to the cable car building we came out on the street where we talked to the taxi driver. That point was less than 50 feet from where the pathway goes up. Now I felt twice ripped off.C'est vie! We had a lovely hike!

We are heading to Dubrovnik in September. Can anyone give us current information as to whether we can use euros/credit cards or should we make sure we have Kuna with us? Thanks! :)

We are heading to Dubrovnik in September. Can anyone give us current information as to whether we can use euros/credit cards or should we make sure we have Kuna with us? Thanks! :)

Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country. Some vendors will accept Euros but do keep in mind the exchange rate will not be in your favor at all.

Thank you for the info Dubrovnik Travel Lady. We want to take the cable car first and walk the wall next. We will follow your directions from where the taxi drops us off at Pile to the entrance to the cable car.

I assume you can buy tickets to the wall at the Ploce gate? Seems like it would be easier to enter here when we are done with the cable car since we will be coming back that way. TIA!

Thank you for the info Dubrovnik Travel Lady. We want to take the cable car first and walk the wall next. We will follow your directions from where the taxi drops us off at Pile to the entrance to the cable car.

I assume you can buy tickets to the wall at the Ploce gate? Seems like it would be easier to enter here when we are done with the cable car since we will be coming back that way. TIA!

Yes, do go up at Ploce entrance and be prepared to do the more difficult half first. Once you reach Minceta tower, the highest point on the wall, the rest is easier. Take lots of photos, bring your sun hat and lather on the sun screen. Our temperatures are not yet high, the sun is unforgiving. Enjoy!

Yes, do go up at Ploce entrance and be prepared to do the more difficult half first. Once you reach Minceta tower, the highest point on the wall, the rest is easier. Take lots of photos, bring your sun hat and lather on the sun screen. Our temperatures are not yet high, the sun is unforgiving. Enjoy!

Thanks again! :D

• 5 weeks later...
Do you know if the wall of the Old Town is handicap accessible in any portion? We have a wheelchair individual traveling with us. Thank you.

Yes, I have visited the old town with a friend who used a wheelchair. The entry at either Pile (busier) and Ploce gates are accessible. Our Stradun (main promenade) is good and you will find the crowds to be a bit daunting. The majority of the steps within the old town are either on the south or north sides of the Stradun. The majority of our historical sites do have a few steps at their entry. My friend will still slightly mobile and with assistance we did manage to get her inside of Rectors Palace and Sponza. It can be done, take your time and enjoy your visit.