Caye Caulker/water taxi ?

junglecat

In almost 2 weeks we will be in Belize. The guys and kids are doing the ATV/cave tubing. My BFF and I are planning to go to Caye Caulker. Should we go ahead and book a water taxi or is this something that's easily done once we get there? Anyone ever gone there? Any and all suggestions welcome.

We just went to Caye Caulker last week. We did not make advance reservations for the water taxi; we just walked up and bought tickets for the next boat. If you don't cut it too close, you shouldn't have any problems getting on. One thing I wish we had done is to catch an earlier taxi - by the time we got off the cruise ship and tendered to shore, the best we could do was catch the 12pm taxi. Then it's a 45 minute ride over to Caye Caulker, which only left us about 2 or 3 hours on the island before we had to head back. Barely enough time to get the feel for the place. But the time we did spend there was very relaxing - as soon as you get off the water taxi you just feel things slowing down to an easy pace.

Also, I wouldn't suggest buying round-trip taxi tickets. Just buy one-way tix instead. There are two companies that go to Caye Caulker, and depending on what time you need to leave, you may wind up coming back on the other company's boat. That's how it worked for us.

All in all, I would definitely go back to Caulker, but keep in mind that it does involve some time. You have to take a tender to shore (20 minutes) and the water taxi over (45 minutes). Then repeat the process on the way back. So if you're going to do it, get an early start.

Thanks for the great advise. That's what this site is all about. How far hard/easy was it to find the taxi service? Once on Caye Caulker is there anything you would recommend to do/see? Thanks again. ;)

Thanks for the great advise. That's what this site is all about. How far hard/easy was it to find the taxi service? Once on Caye Caulker is there anything you would recommend to do/see? Thanks again. ;)

I would definitely echo the thought of getting off the ship as early as possible to give yourself more time at Caulker.

From Belize City, the 2 water taxi companies do not use the same dock/location. One, the San Pedro Express, is located right next to the "Tourism Village" where the cruiseship tenders drop you off. You just walk out the gate of the TV, turn left, and then turn left to the first building you come to (you can see the San Pedro Express building from the tourism village, it's basically just separated by a chain link fence).

Go there first & see what time their next boat is leaving; they will also have a schedule for the other water taxi company (Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association, or something like that). The lady at SPE was very friendly & helpful, discussed times with us & suggested that we use the other company for the trip over (the SPE boat had just left) & then come back on the SPE boat; that's what we did.

The walk down to the other place isn't bad, maybe a 5 minute stroll. It's right by the "swing bridge."

Out on CC, it's very pretty & very relaxing. We strolled down to the end of the road & had a lunch & a few beers at the bar/restaurant at "the split." If you have a mask & snorkel, bring them - it's a pretty area for snorkeling.

You can also look up the taxi times on-line; just do a quick search of Caye Caulker water taxi and you'll come up with the schedule for both companies. That'll give you an idea of how quickly you need to get off the boat.

Just like SeaPA1, we walked around and wound up at the bar at the end of the island. It's called the Lazy Lizard, and I think everyone winds up there eventually. It was fairly lively scene when we were there; people swimming, snorkeling, lying out in the sun, hanging out at the bar. There are worse places to spend an afternoon!

Can anyone share the cost of the water taxi(s)?

Thanks!--CeleBrat

One way ticket is $20 Belize dollars; kids are half price. Exchange rate with US dollars is 2 to 1, so it is $10 per person (adult); US dollars are readily accepted, so no reason to exchange for local currency.

If you buy a roundtrip ticket, it's discounted a couple of dollars iirc, but as discussed the timing oftentimes works best if you use 1 company on the way & the other on the way back.

One way ticket is $20 Belize dollars; kids are half price. Exchange rate with US dollars is 2 to 1, so it is $10 per person (adult); US dollars are readily accepted, so no reason to exchange for local currency.

If you buy a roundtrip ticket, it's discounted a couple of dollars iirc, but as discussed the timing oftentimes works best if you use 1 company on the way & the other on the way back.

I believe that San Pedro Express is US $10 each way as this poster states. The Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association charges US $17.50 round trip. Another difference is that the San Pedro Express charges half price for young children while they are free on the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Association.

As for must things to see on Caye Caulker, there really aren't any. As you get off the water taxi, turn right and walk all the way to the split. There is a little beach area there and you will pass small shops, docks, etc along the way. On the way back walk the same route until you get to the main street Y and then walk the main street back until you get near the police startion and then take a left to get back to the dock. Take this route and you'll see everything there is to see on Caye Caulker. You really only need 2 hours to "see" it all at a relaxed pace, including having a drink along the way. Plan for a little longer to take a swim at the split, to use an internet cafe, have a more relaxed meal, etc. Caye Caulker is a fun, funky little place. The beaches are not great and you won't find any big resorts with huge pools or anything like that. It is a backpacker's type island. You might love it or you might not, but it certainly beats spending time in Belize City.

I should have some pictures up on my website in a week or two to share.

Archived