Need help thinking through St. Johns excursion

irishayes

Our ship is in St. Thomas on a Sunday, so I know the shops are only open half the day.

We want to go over to Trunk Bay, but realize that we should do our shopping in St. Thomas first.

However, it looks like the ferry only leaves at 10 and 1 from St. Thomas. We would have to take the 1:00 ferry in order to get some shopping in, but then the ferry coming back to St. Thomas leaves at 3:45 already.

Is there a private tour operator that makes trips to St. John so we could leave at, say, 11:00, leaving us a bit of time to do our shopping and then also enough time at Trunk Bay?

I suggest you get to St. John first. There are shops at the dock in Havensight, if that is where your ship is docked. I would take St. John over shopping ANY day. There are shops at each island, but there is only one St. John.

Also, the ferry starts earlier than 10 a.m., it starts at 7:30 a.m.

Passenger ferries operate between St. Thomas (Red Hook & Charlotte Amalie) and St. John (Cruz Bay).

From Red Hook:

Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures

Rates: One-way, $6.00/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $1.50 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2.50/piece for luggage/boxes. Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

Also, the ferry starts earlier than 10 a.m., it starts at 7:30 a.m.

Passenger ferries operate between St. Thomas (Red Hook & Charlotte Amalie) and St. John (Cruz Bay).

From Red Hook:

Rates: One-way, $6.00/Adults and $1.00/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $1.50 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2.50/piece for luggage/boxes. Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 15 to 20 minutes

Leaving Red Hook, St. Thomas Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

6:30 am, 7:30 am then hourly from 8:00 am to Midnight

Hourly from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm

Does the ferry leave from both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook? The ferry schedule I was looking at showed only 3 times leaving from Charlotte Amalie--10, 1 and 5, and then 3 times returning (can't remember those times.

Thanks for this info.

Does the ferry leave from both Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook? The ferry schedule I was looking at showed only 3 times leaving from Charlotte Amalie--10, 1 and 5, and then 3 times returning (can't remember those times.

Thanks for this info.

Yes, the ferry leaves from both places. The one from Charlotte Amalie takes longer.

Here is the schedule from Charlotte Amalie:

From Charlotte Amalie:

Rates: One-way, $12.00/Adults and $3.50/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $6.00 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2.50/piece for luggage/boxes. Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

10:00 am

1:00 pm

5:30 pm

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John

8:45 am

11:15 am

3:45 pm

The ferry from Red Hook is a 20-25 minute ride and leaves every hour on the hour both from Red Hook to Cruz Bay and the reverse. The early ferries (i.e. 7:30) leave at different times to enable workers to arrive at their jobs in a timely manner.

B.

The ferry from Red Hook is a 20-25 minute ride and leaves every hour on the hour both from Red Hook to Cruz Bay and the reverse. The early ferries (i.e. 7:30) leave at different times to enable workers to arrive at their jobs in a timely manner.

B.

So then do you need to take a taxi from the dock to Red Hook? How long of a taxi ride is that?

Thanks for the info!

Your time from Charlotte Amalie is pretty equal no matter which ferry you take. If you leave from CA the ride across the water takes up the time you'd spend riding in a taxi to Red Hook if you ferry over from there.

Archived