All things EARTH...

Anita, I'm so happy you are safe and sound. Margaret, you are probably getting some yucky weather right about now, yes? This was anticipated to miss our area, but they are now saying we can expect 2-5 inches of snow from it. This is fairly normal for our area, so we should be just fine.

I was sent home from work yesterday with another cold. Yes, another one! It is one of those years. I really tried, but they felt that with meetings and such, I was a walking petri dish of germs. I am home today as well, but I should be just fine for tomorrow. As a matter of fact, I'm feeling quite good today overall.

I had this huge post that I sent yesterday, but CC went down for the day, and it was lost. I will start over.

Margaret and Pam, I agree that I need to bring in another color on that ivory gold dress. I think the bronze shoes are perfect for it. I've seen some nice jewelry too. I'm struggling with finding a belt though. I will have to keep looking. If I can't find one, I could try a better gold one than what came with the dress. I would love to find bronze though. I had a fun idea for a necklace that I saw. I'm trying not to make the outfit too formal. There is an elegance to the fabric and I want to keep that going, but without being too serious. That is why I was thinking of this necklace:

http://www.charmingcharlie.com/sunburst-circle-necklace-1.html

This isn't as light as it looks....the white background is showing through. If you go the main page of Charming Charlie, click on what's new, and there is a section for smoky topaz. The model is wearing this same necklace. They have some cute stuff in topaz group that could add a bit more color.

I admit that I don't wear my hair up. I used to wear my hair really long, and it was too long to actually put up. I started going shorter, and was wearing my hair that way for a while. I've just recently grown it out where I can put it up. My daughter is really good at stuff like that. I think I will have her practice some things to see how it looks!

This isn't the greatest picture of my new shoes, but I really wanted you to see how sparkly they are in real life. Plus, the heel is actually a bit wide when you see the shoe from behind, which makes them very comfortable. They are going to be great with the coral dress. I could make them work well with the ivory gold dress too, and they may give the outfit the punch it needs. Still need a new belt though....

IMG_2002_zpsd44df408.jpg

This is a real mish mash picture, but I've never laid out my evening dresses before. I always do this with day time outfits, especially to see how well they mix and mash, and how I can limit the shoes that I bring. I've never tried it with my dinner attire, because there is no need to. But, I was thinking it could help me limit my shoes a bit. As I stated in an earlier post, it was very helpful to see too about color saturation and the level of warmth and mutedness (I think I just made up a word!) in colors.

IMG_1999_zpsd91ad000.jpg

IMG_2000_zps894581c2.jpg

Your new shoes are very pretty Laurie!

That's an interesting collage picture of dresses. Those shoes that I know are gold look absolutely silver on my screen. So weird. And so many of those fabrics have a kind of shift in their coloring depending on the angle and the way the light hits them...

That necklace is very pretty. I love smoky topaz. For me...I have such a hard time with jewelry...I really do. I'd have to see it! It's funny...I can read a recipe and imagine the flavors and and textures whether or not it will be yummy...I can imagine a room, the fabrics, the textures and see if it will come together...I can imagine plants...those textures and colors and varying heights...and see if it would be pleasing to the eye...but jewelry...there is something about jewelry that stumps me.

Belts are hard too...I would have a hard time with that one as well. So...is the ivory dress not a dressy dress for you? You are going for a more playful look with that dress?

Anita, when you used the word playful earlier, it hit the nail on the head. I don't want the dress to feel stiff in any way. I think that generally speaking, I've been trying to include some playfulness into my evening wear. I love to dress up, but I'm having a lot of fun so I want my attire to reflect that.

I was thinking about the hem line too. That could definitely be adding to the frumpiness I'm seeing. It just needs polishing up some how. A better belt is a definite need. As soon as I'm feeling up to it, I think I will try it on with different shoes and necklaces, to see what direction I need to head in. I'm going to try some belts in my closet as well, even if they don't work with the dress. It's just an experiment on the width and definition that a wider belt would bring.

I lost a post I was making yesterday, so I'm kind of going back and forth a bit. I want to tell you that I love, love, love your new scarf. That is so beautiful! The colors are both muted and vibrant. I love scarves too. I find they can be rather full for me, so I will just twist them lightly to bring down the fullness. I have a great one at home that I love, but it is definitely a fire scarf, not an earth. It has a great shade of brown (earth or fire) and then gold, orange and aqua. They are very clear and bright. I wear it from time to time, but I know it isn't quite right for me. I can't seem to give it away though! I have a few with really good colors in heavier fabrics.

Margaret, I think I just read that the NYC area is expected to get over a foot of snow!! Be careful!

Pam, you mentioned multi-colored sandals. I would love a pair like you've described. It is so hard to find things like that. JC Penney has this pair of pumps that have a super high heel, but they are covered in sequins. They carry a black/gray combo, and one with shades of brown! they are too high for me and wouldn't work with my clothes that great, but they sure are fun looking.

Anita, it sounds like the sandals you just got are perfect for you. I think it feels so good when you get something that has the right fit and the look you are after, don't you?

Okay...here's an idea...what if you treated that dress like a sundress? instead of a more cocktail like dress? what if it was just a lovely sundress in a fun metallic kind of material?

I like the idea of your knees peeking out...

What if you paired it with things that are more appropriate to a sundress...but fancied up, just like this dress is. Like, T-strap sandals...a braided corset type belt...and a gauzy scarf? Each element would have to have that kind of quality that would make it too fancy for normal daywear... I'll see if I can find examples of my thoughts...

This is what I'm wondering about...

I think we all think your dress needs a little something...and we are going off of the cue that you said that it needs more color...and because we all like you in a more saturated color better...or maybe we are just more used to seeing you in a saturated color...we are trying to figure out how to get some color into your outfit.

But I'm wondering if we don't need the color...we just need more texture and interest in the dress. You tried the route of the necklace...but I think that you could use a bit more volume than that...like more fabric...and that's why I was thinking about a gauzy scarf...and I think that it would be really classy like Margaret said...very elegant to go for a monochromatic look...so how about a scarf like this:

womens-fringed-gauze-scarves-yellow.jpg

Which is from Old Navy. I kind of like the fact that it isn't really metallic...but appears to be a non-metallic version of the colors in your dress...Old Navy is having a sale through Valentine's day to take an extra 15% off.

And what about a belt like this:

665317188_tp.jpg

That will create a really wide waist...kind of like your brown dress with the waist detail.

And then just a pair of simple gold T-strap sandals. Do you have some? Or are they brown? I can't remember. The idea being to not call attention to your feet...so any fade away sandals.

And then you could play with all your earrings to see what really went the best. Sometimes...when you do something like this...the outfit really becomes more about YOU in the outfit...everything working together to call attention to your face...the colors of the outfit all blending together...the scarf framing your face just so...

I'm posting the dress again...on my screen, all these colors look like they would totally blend.

IMG_1464_zps149fd80c.jpg

Anita, those are great ideas! I love the scarf, I can wear that with a number of things as well as that dress. The more use I get out of an item, the less guilty I feel about buying it! I think that belt would provide the definition the waist area needs, too. Where is the belt from?

As to sandals, I have quite a few overall. None are a T-strap style. I am thinking though that I have a few things that may work.

We have an Old Navy store right at our local mall, but I may look online for it instead. They often have great deals in basic knits that I like. I love that they don't shrink up funny the way so many other brands do. I am already pretty certain that I could use a couple for when the weather warms up. (whenever that is, right?)

I did a google images search for the belts...and that belt came up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Braided-Fx-Leather-Cord-Wide-Cinch-Stretch-Belt-Plus-Size-XL-2XL-Gold-New-/191063162217?pt=US_Women_s_Belts&hash=item2c7c407d69

It's probably too big for you...but I don't know if it could be altered. It's pretty inexpensive. My guess is that you could add a simple seam to the elastic portion, close to the back closure. Take the belt in by equal amounts on either side of that back closure.

Love that belt! And the scarf too, I may have to hunt that down myself! Anita's scarf reminds me of one of my favorite tank tops that went on the Goodwill pile when I lost weight. I always have my eye out for that stunning color combo but it's not as common as one might think.

Yes, we did have a blizzard today, and since they wouldn't close the schools I had an arctic trek to work (since I work for one of the public colleges). I just imagined all the calories I was burning, and then I didn't mind so much. Fortunately the subways were still running so I didn't have to walk the entire two miles.

Happy news, I just found out I'm an auntie again. :D:D:D I think he might be a FIRE baby... we'll have to wait and see.

to Pam: when you've trained your feet to do this, it stretches the arch enough to make the high shoes do-able. If you can get your ankle over the ball of the foot, your skeleton is bearing your weight, not your soft tissues. I actually find a 2-inch heel more tiring sometimes.

pointeshoes.jpg.fac7e79a8721a895e8fb24a57bda6456.jpg

SO! Here was the outfit that I put together to wear to DS's honor band concert. I'm wearing Curvy Skinny Jeans from Target, a blouse that I purchased from Goodwill, and some newer shoes that I ordered from Dillards that I had seen way back when.

711_zpsfec5ae8f.jpg

I had DH with me...if I hadn't gotten his opinion about the shoes with the jeans...well...I was about to take them off, but he thought I looked good...and the more I looked at myself...well...I decided that it did look good...I just was too focused on my flaws and what I wasn't liking about my current size to appreciate that I was putting together a fun outfit. I'm glad he helped me. We debated more neutral socks v. the socks I wore. The socks I wore showed off the shoes much better and just seemed more fun...here's a close up:

717_zpsa43da5ec.jpg

I actually put on some make-up, but as I said before, I was going for a more fresh faced look. And the BIG thing that I was wearing was the necklace. Mom and Dad gave me this necklace a long while back...they brought it back for me from Italy, but I haven't really figured out how to wear it. I think it is beautiful...and on this day...I figured out one way to wear it:

14829247-4cdf-4907-a1aa-3a11855f345d_zpse58f9f70.jpg

One reason why it is so difficult for me is that it is actually like a mini scarf...or could be described as an open ended necklace...there is no clasp.

And just so everyone can appreciate such a rare site in the Atlanta metro...here's that same view off my deck from this morning:

751_zpsb3df9841.jpg

This is definitely my FAVORITE sundress. It is very comfortable, for one...and I LOVE the print...and I think it is just too fun that I happen to have orange sandals to help bring out the orange in the dress. This is one of my go to outfits in the warm spring/summer whenever I want to look nice. I plan on wearing this one evening in the MDR:

755_zpsee8645b8.jpg

So this is a funny photo because I laid the jewelry out on my fuzzy cuddle blanket on my bed :o...but this is the jewelry that I normally wear with the dress...my mood dictates how many bracelets I wear...sometimes I am annoyed by the sound of them when I wear more than one. I have never worn a necklace with the dress...the neckline of the dress has such detail on it that I haven't ever felt like I needed a necklace...but this necklace had been broken and was recently repaired, so I will have to try it on to see.

758_zps3eed9849.jpg

Mom and I have talked about our day in Key West...and I anticipate that we will be doing a lot of walking. A LOT of walking, which I have no issues with...BUT...things to be prepared for...likely preferring closed toed shoes for touring the Maritime Museum which is actually a clipper ship...and being out in the sun for long periods of time.

Given these conditions...I decided that I needed my shoulders covered. My favorite shirt for that purpose has long been this one...it is basically a tank top with a flutter sleeve...there is no fabric under the arms. This is my new scarf, which I think looks pretty fabulous...and one of my new pairs of shoes. The bottoms will either be my shorts or skirt, both of which are the same color...and a simple khaki color. I also plan on wearing my wide-brimmed sun hat that I brought on the last cruise. I will be able to play with the scarf...There is a simple cord on that hat...I could even wrap this scarf around the brim, tie it, and have a tail. Very resort.

760_zpsf988a249.jpg

I'm debating which other short sleeved shirts to bring. I have long discovered that as much as I love my tank tops...when I go on vacation to sunny climates...and have to actually be out in the sun for longer periods of time...I tend to prefer to wear something that covers my shoulders...I always forget this...because at home, I HATE to wear short sleeves...and somehow I just toss in a short sleeved shirt, thinking that I won't wear it...but I always do...so here's one option. It's a teal shirt from Old Navy that I got way back when Curt told us that there were good blues there. Here it is with that same scarf:

763_zpse6bdff48.jpg

The thing I don't love about this T is the neckline...which is a simple crew...because it is too high...and I don't like this neckline on me. I know Laurie has talked about how much more flattering it is to wear a V-neck...but maybe wearing the scarf can help with the overall appearance.

Anita, that necklace that you wore with the gold shirt & skinny jeans outfit is fabulous. It works perfectly with the outfit. You look fun and polished!

Your sundress is really pretty. I love it when you have something that looks nice but is so comfortable too. Both the dress and sandals look really easy to wear. Although shoes that are a color other than black or brown can be hard to work with, I think it is so much easier once you know your colors. I have this fun animal print sandal that I purchased on a whim, because they were earthy looking and only $7.00. When I went on the cruise last February, I wore them a lot, way more than expected. Earth colors go together.

Margaret, I'm happy that you are safe. I thought about you a lot today. We've been getting a steady snow for about 3 hours now. The plows have been moving pretty good, and my husband just took my daughter to pick up her car from the shop. Even though this weather is old news for us, I still worry. Just like my daughter in Albany...I want a phone call, text, email or Facebook message each day, or I worry! I guess we could get a foot.

When my older daughter was younger, she danced. She didn't stay with it over the years, but she did enjoy it immensely. I think now I know why she can wear those high heels that I can't!

We were both posting at the same time, Anita. :D I love those two pictures, and your scarf works with both. If I wear a crew neck, I often wear a strong necklace or scarf that draw your eye away from the shirt neckline to the accessory. So, your scarf can take care of that very easily.

Boy, I love that scarf!!! Lately, I keep find all these striped or checked things when I look. Not that there is anything wrong with those patterns, they are just not for me. You really have me thinking though about scarves for the cruise.

When you mentioned not wanting to throw shirts with sleeves into the suitcase, I tend not to want to throw in scarves. I did last cruise, and quite honestly, I forgot about it when the time came to wear it. However, I am seriously thinking about bringing some this time.

Oh, and a few posts back, both of you were discussing swim suit cover ups. Most of the time, I throw in a swimsuit and don't use it. We will definitely be using swimsuits this time. We plan on being in the water quite a bit. Your discussion has made me realize that I don't have much in the way of cover ups. I have a cute brown knit dress style one that I got a little while back, and quite honestly, it's cute just as a dress! It's a scoop neck, so that works for me as well.

I am thinking I really need more than one cover up though. I will have to look, but I used to have a halter dress that I used when needed. I'm not sure I want to use it, if I still have it. It is in a fun print, very much fire like. I think I purchased it a few years before our eyes opened to color. Eek, it's been in the drawer that long????:eek:

Although shoes that are a color other than black or brown can be hard to work with, I think it is so much easier once you know your colors. I have this fun animal print sandal that I purchased on a whim, because they were earthy looking and only $7.00. When I went on the cruise last February, I wore them a lot, way more than expected. Earth colors go together.

Many years ago...Dad was gifting me with a pair of shoes. I honestly could not make up my mind between this one red pair and this one brown pair. I thought that the brown pair would be more practical and go with more outfits...but I really liked the red pair, but worried that I wouldn't be able to wear them much. Well...Dad, so nice, bought me both pairs. And Mom said...we often make up our mind about how things go when we really like something. And as it turns out...the red was such that it ended up being very neutral for me...and since I was attracted to it...I had a lot in my wardrobe that went with it.

The same thing happened with a muted, dirty purple like color Birkenstocks that I had. It was like the denim equivalent but in dusty purple...and it went with EVERYTHING.

So when I saw these orange sandals...I knew I would wear them a lot. I had no idea that I would wear them quite as much as I do. I am REALLY getting my money's worth on these because they were less than $20 at Target when I purchased them.

Red it my favorite color to wear. I bet I would have worn the red shoes a lot too!

Here is a picture of when I was planning for the February cruise last year. The shoes I wore so much were the snake print ones in the front, and they almost didn't end up in the suit case. By the way, when we were talking about comfy walking sandals, my go to ones are the ones on the left.

019.jpg

I'm in such a chatty mood!

Laurie...I'm all over the scarf look right now. And Debbie's story has really inspired me too. Of course I'm going to urge you to play with scarves too! :D

But seriously...you inspired me to try playing with scarves too...the photo that you used to create your avatar? I've LOVED that photo of you always...and I think one reason why is because of the scarf!

Those multi-colored shoes look like they would go with so much! With the dark sole but the lighter upper...with color in the upper though...they would be great. I, unfortunately, have a hard time with sandals like that. I got a pair with that more solid heel and they hurt my heel a lot. And when I tried on some special occasion shoes with kind of back? Ugh...they had to come off.

I still have that scarf, Anita! I love it to pieces:

LaurieGirls_149.jpg

I have trouble whenever there is a part that goes between my toes. These were very odd shoes...not sized right at all. I had to get a size smaller than usual, and I have a ton of room in them. I think that is why they don't bother me - they are bit big. I can't imagine wearing them when walking a lot off the ship though. Small walks okay, but when we are in port, we can put a lot of miles on our shoes sometimes.

*waves* Newbie here; planning my first cruise, but most distinctly a warm autumn. I admit I don't know a lot about fashion, but I've been trying to add a few pieces to my wardrobe that are fancier -- don't want to be turned away from the dining room on formal nights.

http://www.modcloth.com/shop/dresses/pine-all-mine-dress-in-evergreen

What do you think of this one I've been looking at? I think it suits me, though I'm still a little vague as to what category of dress code it'd be for.

Hey Molly! Welcome!

Tell us more! What cruise are you planning? To where? When? What line?

That dress had great lines. I think that it would be very flattering on many body types. We have discovered that it's really difficult to really tell how colors are online v. IRL...but this appears to be a good EARTH/autumn color.

I'm not sure that I would technically call this a formal dress? But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be acceptable for formal night on many cruiselines, if that is what you are looking for. Shoes/accessories can make all the difference in how the look is perceived. I love that houndstooth print.

We are very friendly here...so glad you jumped in!

My brother decided to treat my grandmother and myself to a trip; he's doing the planning, and while I did offer some suggestions after poking around online, I think he'll be the one making the final call on the line and ship. We did agree on the Caribbean, though.

I'm on the short side, and it's harder for me to find a fancy dress that doesn't leave me thinking I'd trip on it if I tried to walk, so I'll think of how to accessorize . . . I have a nice brown belt that'd go well with it, for a start.

Molly...it sounds like you have an exciting vacation coming up. Let us know when you know more details and definitely post pictures if you would like opinions about your dress, etc. Obviously...we do a lot of sharing and wardrobe planning here!

Another scarf I ordered arrived today. I thought it would be brilliant. It's an ombre color of purple/burgundy into red. Unfortunately, the wine color was fairly EARTHy, but the red was ICE. It's going back today...:( I'm sad because the style and material was otherwise perfect... Oh well.

Margaret and Laurie...hope all is well in the snow. Ours has just about melted all away. I think we are supposed to be close to 60 degrees today. :rolleyes:

On that note...all you FIRE ladies reading along...I hope all is well north of me with all of you...