All things EARTH...

I'm going through EVERTYTHING now... This Is a great quote...and I've loved following this Earthy thread!! I too am a Earth color person! :)

Anita...your so cute & brave!! Thank You!!:D

Thanks! Are you going through everything because you recently found out you are an EARTH? It is such a process...

My problem is that my closet is a museum of favorite objects that I used to fit into and continue to hope I may again some day. :(

Also I'm guilty of reaching for the tried and true, but I have some nice things that I don't wear enough. So, my semester began four weeks ago and I decided I would see how long I can go wearing a different outfit to work every day (though necessarily repeating pants and shoes). Am shooting for the whole 11 weeks. So far, so good, and I have to say it's kind of fun. Atlhough in the process I am wearing some colors that are all wrong for me!

Anita, thanks for sharing your crazy 8s process. It's one thing to admire the blog, but it is very helpful to watch you in action working through it with a real wardrobe.

Is anyone watching Downton Abbey? The costumer does an amazing job of dressing the women, their skin looks absolutely divine.

Margaret, I know all about keeping clothing that I wanted to fit into again some day...after I found out about my EARTH coloring...it made it so much easier to get rid of the clothing that was not only too small but also the wrong color...I figured that if I were to feel rewarded with weight loss, it would be a great reward to wear a color that made me look like death...

I did keep some key items and they have saved me as I have been on my journey...

What a fun project you have going on! Are you documenting it?

I really am working this Crazy 8 idea...I'm trying very hard to buy clothes that are for ME...the life I actually live, the things I actually do, what is comfortable, AND what looks good...and it's quite the process, I have to say. I'm glad it's helpful to see. ;)

This is my favorite on you! BEE--U--Tee--Full!!!

Jane

Thanks Jane!

Today is one of two days off from teaching for me...and it just so happens that I had a "date" with a friend to go do the parent tour the intermediate school that our DSs will be attending next fall. I was so excited to have already found a great outfit to wear. I looked almost exactly like that photo except I wore the coral short sleeve shirt from when I first showed off my new capris with the same scarf in the same Necklace style (I really like that) and I added my Grandmother's charm bracelet instead of the 3 bangles. AND I used my animal print bag again...that thing is SO handy...I swear, ya'll need to check out your local Target and see if you have them...

Anyway...this exercise in figuring out outfits beforehand was so helpful this morning.

I am so sad and happy all at the same time! :confused:

First, last night...there was a bit of wine on the bottom of my wine glass...and that RED wine got on the ss coral shirt previously pictured with my new capris. :( I bought a special stain remover for that today...so we'll see how that goes...but otherwise...the shirt is now permenantly STAINED. :eek:

Second, I found the most amazing swimming suit with Athleta!!! It's in that cargo color, which is the color of the dress I bought...offered in the bra cup sizing...in the easy to use the restroom tankini design:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46667&vid=1&pid=906295

I decided that I would bite the bullet and get such a fabulous suit is such a fabulous color...but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!...not expected to ship until March 14!!! That's too late people!

As for the good news...I've come to realize that I really like athletic technical clothing for everyday wear...so I've been cruising through some online stores that are geared toward this customer...namely, Athleta, REI, and Gander Mountain (so far)...I found a great pair of shorts at Gander Mountain:

435999_L1?$small$

I'm ordering the khaki color, of course...but the pocket detail...the V-waist...and the slight flair at the knee...I'm thinking these should ROCK the ShopYourShape...I'm hopeful! I still need shorts!

I still have Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops to check out...

I still need to work through that Style Statement book...Debbie! I'm almost jealous that you have worked your way through! The one thing that I know for myself though...I'm always attracted to the sporty, athletic inspired casual clothing in these stores...and we used to spend more time in these stores...and the few things that I have that have come from these stores...I love...so there you go.

My Athleta shipment should be here Monday...so I can report on the Khakina color then.

Oh no, not the coral shirt! I really liked that one. I bought a brand new pair of off-white capris for my cruise last spring and the first night I spilled red wine all over my lap. :( This is where the crazy 8s can really screw you, because those pants were a key part of my packing strategy. The stain didn't come out completely so I dyed them tan, but I don't like how they came out so I think I'm going to try -- chocolate brown.

Love the bathing suit! Awsome colors and style.

I should have thought to document my daily work wardrobe but it just didn't occur to me. I have been wearing a skirt to work at least once a week which I didn't realize I was missing. I feel good in a skirt and cute boots!

I've been practicing with the program mode on my camera. My poor cat is getting tired of being my subject. :) I want to be a better photographer before I post my blues again.

Anita,

I love the new swimsuit! I love Athleta too.

I know Pam has some Athleta too--garden green being a FIRE color :) What other Athleta (especially the new colors out now) colors do you think might be FIRE?

I was also looking at an older color called kauai blue--thoughts? Should I have posted this on the FIRE thread???? I thought maybe since this was about Athleta I would try here :)

Ordered these shorts today:

s7_916609_210_01?rgn=0,0,2000,1742&scl=3.8095238095238093&fmt=jpeg&id=0f7NdqJwauxRmFSebFc-sN

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Womens-Clothing/Womens-Bottoms/Womens-Shorts%7C/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104490180/i/104132880/The-North-Face174-Womens-Paramount-Moraine-Shorts/749903.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fclothing-womens-clothing-womens-bottoms-womens-shorts%2F_%2FN-1101116%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104132880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104797080%253Bcat104490180&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104797080%3Bcat104490180%3Bcat104132880

Nylon, UPF 30.

The picture is showing a pair with a shorter inseam than what I bought, though. I bought a 9" inseam. The color is called "Taupe Green" and I've looked at it in a couple different places...could be warm or cool...will have to wait and see...Here is a sampling of the same color:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzRaAlqDb0MBCdmrT1NxZ0JjLznx14m6RC2SCGNfGEEZZjRqSvimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRC0sgUDv5tZ0xy7cKL9YQ9hVb5dr0nYGyxkaEOD5ejtANyUr05images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcMYOqcsNaglVyoRjZp2C9BuG_hbU2OEeIouR0gpLt1nm6a6DDhg

Will have to wait for the real thing. Cabela's has a deal right now for $0.01 shipping!

Thanks! Are you going through everything because you recently found out you are an EARTH? It is such a process...

I've known I was an EARTH ....since back when it used to be called Fall!! :) But the quote that you had...

"My closet is not a museum, and I am not responsible for being the curator of all of the world's loveliest objects.

A hard lesson, but an essential one to learn if I am to avoid wasting money and complicating my life with an abundance of confusing delights which do not suit me is that each and every perfect object I see may not be perfect for ME. "

Was soo true for me! I get emotionally attached to the things others have given me!...But this weekend EVERYTHING was pulled out...went through...and If it wasn't EARTH, fit well and in Style... IT did NOT go back in the closet! :) Thank You!

(Many items were from my GAP employee days...which were before Alethia too! ha!)

Oh Jean,

It is SUCH a chore to go through all your clothing...and especially if you have sentimental clothing. Very difficult. Are any of your sentimental clothes t-shirts? My MIL has sweatshirts and t-shirts that are sentimental...and she keeps wanting to keep those. I ask because there is a sewing project called a t-shirt quilt. I don't know if you are into sewing, or know someone who is, that might be able to help you with this project.

You take the sentimental shirts/sweatshirts and you cut out a square that includes the design of the t-shirt. This is the center of your quilt block. You can add strips of fabric around the blocks that help to coordinate the whole design. Then you can just hand tie the whole thing or actually quilt it.

These are really great things to do with t-shirts that have a theme especially...like your college shirts...your kids team jerseys...etc.

Here are some examples:

Memory_t-shirt_quilt.jpg

quilt25.jpg

Kelly.quilt.JPG

sinton-tshirt2a.jpg

Looking for these photos, I found that there is a company that will make this for you:

http://www.tshirtquiltstx.com/contact.htm

Great job on clearing out your closet!!! I know how difficult it can be to do that.

Thank you Anita for the research on the options for those links!!:)

I don't have enough for that.... But a great idea!

I do love getting ready for work and going into my closet - and what ever I choose... I can put it on and go, knowing that it fits and looks good! haha!...well...2 days in a row! ;)

I found a great pair of shorts at Gander Mountain:

435999_L1?$small$

I'm ordering the khaki color, of course...but the pocket detail...the V-waist...and the slight flair at the knee...I'm thinking these should ROCK the ShopYourShape...I'm hopeful! I still need shorts!

These came in today. They are Kuhl brand shorts. Like I expected from the reviews, the fit is a bit tight in the waist...but I can get them buttoned and actually, because they have what they call the "kuhl rise", I really like where they sit. The problem is that there is a fit problem showing up in the crotch area of the shorts. So I've been doing research to see if this is something that I think will go away with continued weight loss or if these will just not ever really work.

I found this bit of information:

http://repository.tamu.edu/bitstream/handle/1969.1/87414/pdf_2293.pdf

This file is geared toward people who are working with a pattern and/or pants that could be altered. I like how there are Figures that show the fit problem, and then you can read up on what they recommend that you do to fix the problem.

So my problem with the shorts is Figure 10 under thigh circumference. I am getting the wrinkle pattern on the left. I'm going to have to study this more to make a decision about keep or exchange the size.

I know that this is the fit issue that I first had when Mom gave me some pants that she had shrunk out of. They were too small and had this same fit problem and now they fit great.

So, I think that I will probably keep the shorts. It's a bummer to buy something that doesn't quite work yet. I try to avoid doing this. But I don't think I'm that far off either. But this is all part of the decision that I have to make.

For the record. The Khaki color by Kuhl is very nice. It's lighter than the khakina color from Athleta, but in a similar color tone. The material on the pants is a heavier weight than the Athleta skirts, but still has that quick drying quality to them. I do like the sturdier fabric and the waist band details. After having so many pairs of pants that I have to constantly yank on because they stretch out as the day progresses (there is a downside to Spandex in your clothes), these shorts have a very secure feeling that is quite welcome.

I just did the "shop my shape" thingy and it says I'm a "straight" body type. I was a little surprised at that but, the numbers don't lie :eek:

Looking through the kinds of clothes it suggests, I'm a little surprised at that too. I think I'm a little busty and wouldn't think I should emphasize that area as the site says I should for a straight body type. Have you found anything surprising about your body type and the suggested style of clothes?

This is week four of my “wear something different every day of the semester” project. How did it start? Well, the laundry hadn’t been done in a while, so all the things I grab first weren’t there. I started thinking about why I could stare at a full closet and still not have anything to wear. So, I decided to just start wearing something different every day.

Since then I’ve been thinking about the “nothing to wear dilemma” and I came up with several reasons why I was feeling that way.

1. Now that I am more earth-conscious, my first choice is to wear all my favorite brown stuff, which was all in the wash.

2. I am unwilling to get rid of my mistakes, because “I spent good money for them” (my mother’s voice in my head), so they sit there like they’re an option but they are not actually in regular rotation.

3. The varying tasks of my job mean that I need certain things on certain days, or I won’t be comfortable. That’s an ok reason.

4. I live in an apartment with finite space, so there are seasonal things I can’t wear right now taking up space. Another ok reason.

5. I’m lazy and I don’t want to wear one of my many skirts. No excuse for this one.

6. I’m lazy and I don’t want to iron. I know what you’re going to say about that.

7. I still have some things that are a size too small “for when I lose some weight.” Oh please.

8. I have things that have Hot Flash Warning on them that I hope to wear again one day. My lovely drawer of pullover sweaters is in this group.

9. I really like something and don’t want to ruin it (which happens often on classroom days) but for some reason I don’t wear it in my personal life either. See blue shirt below.

10. Old worn favorites that are hard to part with, but aren’t suitable for work anymore.

So, I took a picture before work this week of my four outfits (I don't work Fridays), which I’ll post with commentary next. The photography is bad, but I’m still learning and working on it.

The royal blue and black shell was an impulse buy (the hot color for spring!) on sale dirt cheap from an upscale store. I thought I would wear it in summer but it's one of those odd shapes where your bra straps always show no matter what type you wear. So I paired it with my staple, a shawl collar black sweater. I realized that I don't wear it primarily because I have no jewelry that matches well. In fact it is extremely comfortable and a beautiful fabric, and I will try to wear it more even though the color is all wrong for me. BTW the picture came out terribly gray so I altered it so you could at least see the top properly, but my skin tones in the picture are way off.

The gold Ralph Lauren sweater is one I wore to death when I first got it. The problem is that it has lost its shape and I have to fuss it into place a lot now. I think it's going to Goodwill.

Oh my, the blue shirt. I was seduced by this lovely hyacinth blue color. Many people at work commented on how pretty I looked, but I think they were seduced by the color as well (it is winter here and everyone is in gray and black). It needs ironing every time it comes out of the closet, it is too cool a color for me, and it's rather a delicate a fabric for work but I never wear it on the weekends. I had to change my makeup palette to make it work, a sure sign that the color is wrong. I never liked it with any of my pants until I took a too-wide pair in last weekend to tailor into skinny jeans, which look better with it. It's such a statement I'll probably only wear it once a semester until it dies. It's so pretty, but I wouldn't do it again. I mean, I had to pull out my blue eyeshadow!

I love this last top. It looks great when you pile on the gold jewelry and some red lipstick. I wear it when I need a jacket at work, if I have meetings or it's cold like today. I wore it with my black jacket, but it also looks nice with my gold one. The wide round neck is flattering and it has 3/4 sleeves, my favorite length. It's elegant and goes nicely from work to dinner out, and I'm going to keep it.

IMG_9337.jpg.d7732159b9dbe496c780dcd43f0839cc.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg.6ad2f8a32dd7ed6095eea197cacab0d6.jpg

IMG_9344.jpg.6a702291a29a65aaa339b6601e4324df.jpg

IMG_9347.jpg.53dce40d7c15697c03110aa25e72ab73.jpg

Just a quick post this morning...I have to run to DS's school for a special event this morning...and as I got dressed this morning...I was SO GLAD that I had taken some time to have some planned outfits!

Today I'm wearing my new fabulous cardigan sweater with the best matching tank top and jeans! I picked the purple accent scarf just to hang around my neck, under the collar, and dangle down...I really liked that look...and it adds just the right touch of color...and the hoop earrings. I feel great! Too bad it's raining!

I'll be back to talk later!

This is week four of my “wear something different every day of the semester” project. How did it start? Well, the laundry hadn’t been done in a while, so all the things I grab first weren’t there. I started thinking about why I could stare at a full closet and still not have anything to wear. So, I decided to just start wearing something different every day.[/Quote]

I believe this is why they say that most people only wear 20% of what is in their closet. Some of it has to do seasonality and occasion, BUT the majority of us own more clothes than we could ever wear in one week...we grab our favorites when they are clean and then those favorites get washed weekly, so they are available again. This is another reason why the capsule wardrobe can be so successful...I think it is just that we balk at the idea of our choices being taken away...even though we always seem to gravitate toward choosing the same clothes over and over again.

Since then I’ve been thinking about the “nothing to wear dilemma” and I came up with several reasons why I was feeling that way.

1. Now that I am more earth-conscious, my first choice is to wear all my favorite brown stuff, which was all in the wash.

It makes perfect sense that if you still have non-earth colors in your closet, once you see how fabulous you look in your best colors, you become very conscious of the choosing to NOT wear non-earth colors, even if the clothes hang in your closet. I will tell you that I have hung to several items because I loved the style, even if the color was wrong, and FINALLY, on this last go around, I let these items go because I realized that I was NOT wearing them. I just couldn't pick the style over the color.

2. I am unwilling to get rid of my mistakes, because “I spent good money for them” (my mother’s voice in my head), so they sit there like they’re an option but they are not actually in regular rotation.

This is a hard one. But here's the deal...and I mean this. If you keep the mistakes, then you are not able to truly see your wardrobe for what it is. You have a mistaken view of the clothes you own and will not be able to recognize the "holes" in your wardrobe. You have to learn from these mistakes and move on.

Here is a visual...picture your closet like your refrigerator. Now maybe you are better at going through your produce than I am...my biggest challenge is CILANTRO...I buy this stuff, use about 1/4 to 1/2 of the bunch...and then I end up throwing away the rest of the bunch when it turns into a slimy mess in the fridge. I could name other produce items that tend to rot away in my fridge...but I'll spare everyone the details...knowing the stats, everyone has their own picture of their own non-favorite foods that you bought anyway, never cooked because when your favorites were gone, you went shopping again...and then you had to throw away the items that were forgotten about or just plain not really wanted.

Even though your clothes aren't going moldy, slimy, or otherwise falling into decay in your closet...in a sense, mentally and spiritually, they are. They fester in there like pain in your side reminding you over and over again about the mistake that you made. But since they haven't actually "gone bad," you can't just throw them in the trash...although...in a very real sense...these clothes are no different than the cilantro that you totally planned on using but now can't.

You need to give yourself a break...learn from the mistake...really understand WHY something was a mistake and don't repeat. The money has been spent and you are not "saving money" by keeping the clothing item in your closet. You are only saving money if you force yourself to wear the mistake and don't replace it with a new purchase. OR you can go ahead and get rid of the mistake and be able to truly analyze your clothing that rotates and then not necessarily replace your mistakes, so much as fill in the holes to round out your real wardrobe.

3. The varying tasks of my job mean that I need certain things on certain days, or I won’t be comfortable. That’s an ok reason.

This is a very real reason to have clothing that you don't always wear. But hopefully, the ratio of clothing that is delegated to certain tasks is in proportion to how often those certain tasks are in your schedule. You need to have clothing that you can do yard work in...but if you only do yard work once a week, you literally only need ONE outfit to get that job done. KWIM?

4. I live in an apartment with finite space, so there are seasonal things I can’t wear right now taking up space. Another ok reason.

Another good reason. I remember that I had a system to separate out the WINTER from SUMMER when I lived in Colorado and Kansas. It really does help to have this segregation in your closet be done in a very visual way, so that clothes that aren't even an option aren't in your decision making zone.

5. I’m lazy and I don’t want to wear one of my many skirts. No excuse for this one.

Not sure why wearing a skirt requires more effort? Is this because of your footwear? Does this highlight a need? Or a style trait?

6. I’m lazy and I don’t want to iron. I know what you’re going to say about that.

Yes...get rid of these clothes...OR make a date to get all your ironing done. Personally, I like to watch DVDs of "Project Runway" when I do DH's shirts. Something about it just getting me in the mood to deal with fabric. I put my ironing board up in the family room and just get the job done in one fell swoop.

7. I still have some things that are a size too small “for when I lose some weight.” Oh please.

These clothes really helped me when I started losing weight, because I made a deal with myself that I would not buy a single item of clothing until I literally had nothing left to wear. This way, I was motivated to keep shrinking so that I could finally get new clothes, and also, I could try to learn what it was that I really wore and enjoyed wearing so that I could hope to make better purchase decisions. In the meanwhile, though, I did segregate these items out of my closet. I am the queen of tubs (ask Mom) and I moved all too small clothing out of my decision making zone and into tubs.

8. I have things that have Hot Flash Warning on them that I hope to wear again one day. My lovely drawer of pullover sweaters is in this group.

These may be worth keeping. MAY. Mom and I both went through some transitions when we moved south. Both of us had mixed sweaters (wool blends, etc) that were just too warm to wear...and we discovered they were just too warm to wear in the winter even. The question with these is, how many, how much do you love them, are they your color, are they flattering, and if you could wear them again, would you really want to?

Ultimately, especially with size changes, I have finally discarded all the clothing items that belonged to this former life above the Mason-Dixon line...I have saved my long underwear...my gloves, my hats, my ski-worthy coat, and my zip-out lining trench.

9. I really like something and don’t want to ruin it (which happens often on classroom days) but for some reason I don’t wear it in my personal life either. See blue shirt below.

You need to know what the some reason is...and I think this experiment of yours will tell you.

10. Old worn favorites that are hard to part with, but aren’t suitable for work anymore.

If you EVER wear them, then these are fine to keep...BUT if these are just held onto for sentimental reasons...like they say...you don't need the item to keep the memory.

So, I took a picture before work this week of my four outfits (I don't work Fridays), which I’ll post with commentary next. The photography is bad, but I’m still learning and working on it.

The royal blue and black shell was an impulse buy (the hot color for spring!) on sale dirt cheap from an upscale store. I thought I would wear it in summer but it's one of those odd shapes where your bra straps always show no matter what type you wear. So I paired it with my staple, a shawl collar black sweater. I realized that I don't wear it primarily because I have no jewelry that matches well. In fact it is extremely comfortable and a beautiful fabric, and I will try to wear it more even though the color is all wrong for me. BTW the picture came out terribly gray so I altered it so you could at least see the top properly, but my skin tones in the picture are way off.

This is interesting...are you really excited to accessorize something that you know is such a bad color? I understand about the good deal...but if it was dirt cheap to begin with...why not just PASS on the shirt and give it away? You can find another bargain in a color that is flattering in a shirt that you can wear with a bra where the straps don't show. AND you can spend money on accessories or already own accessories that are likely to match it. I don't understand this.

The gold Ralph Lauren sweater is one I wore to death when I first got it. The problem is that it has lost its shape and I have to fuss it into place a lot now. I think it's going to Goodwill.

This is the equivalent of slimy cilantro in the clothing world. It IS time to let this one go. The real question is this...is the sweater literally dead? DID you wear it to death? Is it wearable by anyone else?

Have you ever seen the sweater pillows? You take a loved sweater and turn it into a bed pillow. They are especially nice because they are usually so well worn in and comfortable. They make great prop pillows for reading. AND if you did something like this, you could keep a swatch of the sweater for when you are shopping, knowing that this is a color you will literally wear to DEATH.

Oh my, the blue shirt. I was seduced by this lovely hyacinth blue color. Many people at work commented on how pretty I looked, but I think they were seduced by the color as well (it is winter here and everyone is in gray and black). It needs ironing every time it comes out of the closet, it is too cool a color for me, and it's rather a delicate a fabric for work but I never wear it on the weekends. I had to change my makeup palette to make it work, a sure sign that the color is wrong. I never liked it with any of my pants until I took a too-wide pair in last weekend to tailor into skinny jeans, which look better with it. It's such a statement I'll probably only wear it once a semester until it dies. It's so pretty, but I wouldn't do it again. I mean, I had to pull out my blue eyeshadow!

This shirt is a MUSEUM shirt. It may be lovely, but it isn't lovely on you. I don't understand the reasoning here behind keeping this shirt.

I love this last top. It looks great when you pile on the gold jewelry and some red lipstick. I wear it when I need a jacket at work, if I have meetings or it's cold like today. I wore it with my black jacket, but it also looks nice with my gold one. The wide round neck is flattering and it has 3/4 sleeves, my favorite length. It's elegant and goes nicely from work to dinner out, and I'm going to keep it.

I LOVE this last one on your too!!! With a shirt like this hanging in your closet, why would you EVER choose to wear the blue one? This is what I meant when I said I don't understand why you would keep the blue one. To me, I would rather wear this shirt once a week...look absolutely FABULOUS once a week...and have four other equally fabulous looks and call myself good. Who cares if that is all you wear? And if I read you right...you only work four days a week? So you only need to have FOUR great looks? Why try to keep so many clothes for FOUR days?

I think that there is a great educational aspect to your experiment here. I would think that taking these pictures and seeing the effect of the color...really analyzing why you pick certain clothes over others...and really paying more attention to that would be a great way to really analyze your wardrobe needs and whether or not your current clothing does satisfy your needs.

If you could...I would urge you to remove these questionable items into a different space. A spare closet, if possible. Or cover the items and place in a dedicated space in your closet. See what happens when you really weed out your wardrobe and analyze what you are left with...THEN...and only THEN...decide if you really need to keep items like these blue shirts.

This is fun Margaret, I'm so glad you shared. I hope you keep taking pictures and sharing! And I hope that bluntness is taken at face value. For me, this is what these threads are all about...Everyone needs to have those people in their life that "give it to them straight"...and I hope you understand that this is me! :p;) I am not trying to be negative with my comments...on the contrary, I am trying to be very positive and encouraging toward getting your clothing into a place where your closet if full of choices that ALL make you feel wonderful when you wear them. And feelings are necessarily logical or based on looks. I know this.

I realized something today on my drive home from the school...wearing the scarf and my sweater...not really good for housework...and I have laundry to do...I know, Mom, what a surprise! :eek: ANYWAY...

In a flash...I was thinking about Mr. Rogers. Do you remember Mr. Rogers? "It's a BEAUTIFUL day in the neighborhood...a beautiful day for a neighbor...would you be mine? Could you be mine?" A singing Mr. Rogers enters his home, and immediately heads for his coat closet where he hangs up his suit/sport coat and puts on his cardigan sweater. He sits down and takes off his work shoes and puts on his house shoes.

I don't know that I was singing...OKAY...maybe I was humming a Zumba tune...but I went straight to my own coat closet and hung up my scarf and my cardigan and grabbed my yellow hoodie that I normally wear to and from Zumba classes...knowing that it makes perfect sense to have "house clothes" v. "errand clothes."

This revelation was literally a REVELATION to me today...and it underscores the importance of having BOTTOMS that make sense for my everyday...AND how I could benefit from thinking about the jobs that need to be done around the house as JOBS...requiring the appropriate TOOLS to get the job done...including the idea of a uniform for different jobs...and you know what is now high on my shopping list? An apron! Or some other type of thing to wear in the kitchen to protect my clothing...because I seriously don't own one...and I need one...BADLY...because I am a MESS...and not just for cooking...doing dishes is dirty work.

My North Face shorts from Cabela's came today!

TAUPE GREEN is a HIT! Great EARTH color. LOVE it.

And this style of short is wonderful. Not too long. Not too short. Nice pockets. It has regular pockets and then on one leg there is a small zippered pocket and on the other leg a small buttoned pocket. Adds great visual weight to help balance out the bod.

I would describe this color as in the OLIVE GREEN family with a definite BROWN undertone. It is one of those greens that is very dark...I think that it looks so gray/green in the one photo because they probably had to adjust the brightness and/or increase the contrast in order for the details of the shorts to show clearly in the photo...doing this affected the color a lot...but it is one of those colors that is not going to show details at all in photographs, so it isn't showing true to life online AT ALL.

HIGHLY recommend. Going to have to see what else is offered in this color for sure.

First, let me say I'm very far behind. Just home for 1st time in almost 2 months. Got my Mom (& her new hip LOL) settled in her house -- finally!

I can't remember which thread contained the post about next years' Pantone colors, but I came across a blog listing one that definitely seems warm to me. Thinking it's going to be a fire color, but what so you think?

Even if this color ends up being Fire, I think it might work as a nice splash of color -- at least for anybody like me. I seem to do better with colors on the fire /earth cusp.

pantone.jpg

No time right now. Just a short break to unwind.

Jane

http://www.pantone.com/pages/MYP_mypantone/mypInfo.aspx?ca=75&pg=20978

Why is this important? Because fashion designers will be using these colors, following by all the trendy knock-offs we see in the department stores and places like Target.

Nice to see a brown in the mix.

Yay; I found Margaret's post with the new Pantone color announcement!

Thanks for posting this.

I REALLY hope that isn't a Cool brownish color. i'm afraid it might not work for us :(.

Hope I'm wrong. I seem to latch onto clothing in a brown that doesn't work for me.

I even had to return a great cruise gown purchase because it was the wrong brown. I may have even posted it on this thread ----WAY back...but more likely on the original "Seasons" thread.

Jane

I REALLY hope that isn't a Cool brownish color. i'm afraid it might not work for us :(.

Jane

I was thinking that too. One of my staples for work is a dark brown LLBean pant in "black coffee" and I'm hoping it will be similar. It's a darker brown than chocolate but the result is it goes with everything like a neutral.

Such great feedback. I really appreciate the time you took. You mirror the voice in my head that I don't always listen to.

I don't know how to do the multi-quote so I just cut and paste here:

"But hopefully, the ratio of clothing that is delegated to certain tasks is in proportion to how often those certain tasks are in your schedule."

I have two suits, black and grayish brown. I need them for meetings and occasional corporate training gigs. When I have to wear them it's because I need to present a certain image, like it or not. When I'm in a room with everyone in dark suits, I'm going to wear my black suit with a power color top - hence keeping the blue shell. The rest of the time I can wear what I like. I think of it as the spinach in my closet - necessary to have but not really to my taste.

"I remember that I had a system to separate out the WINTER from SUMMER when I lived in Colorado and Kansas."

I organize my closet by color in order of the rainbow ROYGBIV, roughly, with black on one side and brown on the other. Within each color it goes from tank top to jacket, so generally the summer clothes are on the left and they get heavier as I move right. My sister thinks I am totally compulsive, but then she's a disorganized mess.

"Not sure why wearing a skirt requires more effort? Is this because of your footwear? Does this highlight a need? Or a style trait?"

This is a great question! I think it is more about preplanning, because if I wear a skirt I'm also wearing heels, so then I need to consider how much time I'll be on my feet that day, whether I have errands to run after work, how my knees are feeling, will the weather be bad/cold/wet, where are the darn pantyhose? In fact, I think am just out of the habit of wearing skirts in winter, though I wear them in summer all the time, and I enjoy skirts.

"The question with these (sweaters) is, how many, how much do you love them, are they your color, are they flattering, and if you could wear them again, would you really want to?"

Ironically, all my sweaters but two are in very flattering earth colors: pumpkin, ivory, brown, gold. One is gray and has to go. The other (pink) was knit by my dear friend Barbara who died of cancer and I hang on to it out of love because I can still "feel" her hands on it.

"This shirt is a MUSEUM shirt. It may be lovely, but it isn't lovely on you. I don't understand the reasoning here behind keeping this shirt."

You are right. I know you are right. This is just what I need to hear. It's going on eBay, and the tshirt is joining the gym pile.

"And I hope that bluntness is taken at face value. For me, this is what these threads are all about... I am not trying to be negative with my comments...on the contrary, I am trying to be very positive and encouraging toward getting your clothing into a place where your closet if full of choices that ALL make you feel wonderful when you wear them."

I totally understand that you are coming from a place of support: posting the pictures is all about getting honest feedback, and I value it.

Four more next week!