All things EARTH...

I'm so glad your overnight was as wonderful as you had hoped, Anita! It looks like a marvelous place to celebrate an anniversary. It doesn't get much better than a winery, good wines, dinner and a massage.

You look fantastic and so HOT in your new red dress. Congrats and many more happy years <3

Anita, I agree with Joby - you look fantastic.

I hope you have some time to answer questions soon. I agree on how hard it can be finding red that isn't rust, or brick red. Brick red is somewhat elusive to me right now. Rust is one of my favorite colors, and it's popular this year. My eyes are fooling me very badly when it comes to earth red. When I look at you in your dress, I can see it. I go shopping, and I cannot. I think I my know what I need to do though...actually try on the questionable color. Maybe by looking in the mirror, I will see it is the right color or not the right color.

And your air shorts - I wear that sand color too. Generally speaking, as long as they aren't white, they are away from your face and provide a good neutral. I just make sure the top is right like you did.

I am going to take a picture of a red top my husband picked for me recently. It's just a knit tank top, but I think he did a great job choosing it.

If anyone can post pictures of blues and purples, do so!!! I really need help. I even found this green dress online at JC Penney for $33.00, and had a $10.00 coupon. I took me a bit of time to realize it was an air green. Then I got to looking and said, no maybe it's the right green for me! I got out my cards, and I just couldn't relate it. 0900631b81e46657M.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp

Maidmerawyn, you said Right now, though, I have a lot of purple in my wardrobe and I would love to see some pictures! I know what you mean about that pesky budget too.

Yes, my husband had his surgery and I have som time on my hands right now. ;) Really though, I get so much out of pictures.

I can't say enough, Anita, how much I love your dress and other outfits. What a special treat that must have been for you and the hubby!!!

Dinner was back at the winery building in the restaurant there called Cafe Elan. I LOVE my red Cache dress...and feel confident that it is EARTH red...like red...not rust and not brick. I wore my new Rockport sandals with the Adidas insole (highly recommend...I walked from the Inn to the Winery with no problems...I would like to get something to keep my foot from sliding too far forward though)...for jewelry...I'm wearing a pearl/rhinestone bracelet inherited from my Grandmother and diamond studs that DH gifted me with several years ago).

I did not try for fancy hair or makeup...I was very relaxed after the massage. ;) I showered at the spa...uses their fabulous products...and was SO HAPPY that I had made all my decisions early...I only wore a bit of eyeliner, mascara, and lip gloss. Here I am in the setting sun:

173.jpg

You can catch a bit of the ambiance of the restaurant in this photo...the color is a bit off though...you can see that my skin tone in general is not too golden when you compare it to the following photo of DH and myself. OH...we had the local Merlot with dinner. We had tasted it earlier and knew it was yummy.

175.jpg

178.jpg

Here you can the vine fields in the distance...and see why I said this dress looked like it was made to go dancing. I seriously look like I should go salsa dancing:

180.jpg

We spent the rest of the evening in our room enjoying champagne...

Love the look and color on you. It really brings out your beauty and you look younger as well.

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband.

Anita Latte;

The red dress looks really good on you; you did good!

I follow along regularly here even tho I don't contribute often. I'm an earth too, figure I've been one since I picked out a pumpkin-colored winter coat back in 5th grade (?'65?) and still have a bit of trouble with reds. I got a red dress in Feb and in the store it looked great, but have worn it only once so far. One of those repeatedly put on- take off dresses I plan to wear but don't end up doing so. I feel like I'm doing very good with the teals and purples, tho. Back a few pages someone (I think Laurspag) posted a pic of one of her dresses, it was a different style but the exact same material as one of my favorite, most worn dress ever. So that was something to make me happy to see how well I had hit the mark on that one.

bmw

Hello Everyone!

I am back from an absolutely OUTSTANDING overnight trip with DH to celebrate our 15th anniversary. HERE is where DH picked for our romantic getaway.

Welcome to Atlanta! Chateau Elan definitely knows how to do romantic getaways. But would you believe I've lived in Atlanta all my life and never been there? I think I'm the only person I know who hasn't. :) Glad you had a blast!

As for location, I'm in Gwinnett, out near Discover Mills. That puts me on the opposite side from you, but my husband got his bachelor's degree from Kennesaw State, which is near you. If you like to read, be sure to visit the Marietta Public Library, which is in downtown Marietta. It's very nice; I should know, since my husband worked there for years!

Maidmerawyn, you said Right now, though, I have a lot of purple in my wardrobe and I would love to see some pictures!

Most of my wardrobe is either in the wash or waiting to be washed right now, since we leave Saturday for Charleston, but here's the first purple piece I bought this season…

7542381354_771a518ae5_n.jpg

Casual Earth Purple Knit Top by Maid Mirawyn, on Flickr

The photo is a touch yellow, but it's pretty accurate. Sadly, the embroidery on the front doesn't photograph very well. (Clicking on it takes you to Flickr, with the full res photo.)

Edited by MaidMirawyn

Thank you to everyone for the compliments on my outfits. I can't tell you how invaluable it is to spend time sorting through clothes, figuring out what goes with what, etc. I think this is much easier to do with fewer clothes as well. As odd as it may seem...I can come up with more full on outfits with my smaller wardrobe...it's just easier to see what goes with what.

Laurie...red is really hard to find...and identify...Mom, Dad and I were all shopping together when we found the red dress...and I swear...we all thought it was orange in the store...it was just the lighting in the store...and then when I saw the online photo...and they called it Cherry Red...it made me nervous about whether or not the lighting in the store was SO off that the color really wasn't mine...but it is. So again...you can't really trust photos online or expect to make accurate judgments regarding color based on an online photo...if you like the style and general color tone...order it. You just HAVE to know your return policies.

MaidMirawyn...I can believe you haven't been up to Chateau Elan. It's funny what happens when you live in an area. There isn't the pressing need to go see the local attractions because you feel like you can at any time. So I do understand. On the Zumba thread...I declared how this year is the year that I remove "I've always wanted to" from my vocabulary. Now, "I am going to" and I make a plan. Yesterday, DS and I hiked to the top of Kennesaw Mountain in the Battleground park. What a view! And that park is FANTASTIC. Right there in the middle of everything is a total getaway. LOVE IT. And that's what Chateau Elan would be...a great little getaway...I think it'd make a nice day trip even, especially for you...I'd think you'd be even closer than I.

I've been over to your side of the Metro...we went to Fry's Electronics over the weekend to grab a great deal for our computer build. Love a great library...will definitely check it out.

So again...you can't really trust photos online or expect to make accurate judgments regarding color based on an online photo...if you like the style and general color tone...order it.

I've been over to your side of the Metro...we went to Fry's Electronics over the weekend to grab a great deal for our computer build. Love a great library...will definitely check it out.

That is sooooo true about color! I'm a graphic designer, and I am always trying to explain to clients that you CANNOT judge color off a monitor. Even two color-calibrated monitors will display a correctly color-calibrated image differently, never mind your home computer or mobile device! Besides, fabrics are colored with dyes which can contain any number of pigments, while a monitor or TV is restricted to using red, green, and blue lights. Some color are worse than others, too, especially very light or bright colors.

If you're ever buying something online and color is critical, make sure you're comfortable with the return policy—and allow time for a return! If you're lucky, the seller may have a help desk or live chat where you can get more information, or they may have a really good review system, so you can get the customers' opinions on the color.

For example, I bought a new swimsuit from ModCloth.com last week, and I am now in love with the company! I was able to use their live chat to instantly get feedback from a knowledgeable employee about color and size. And, based on their extensive customer review system, I felt like I had all the info I needed to choose.

Just got back from an impromptu mini-vacation last week. There is so much going on here, what a happy Earth board! So much to say but before I chime in I wanted to post these two things while I had them at hand.

Two weeks ago I had my first gel polish french manicure, which was awesome. Anita, your blue nails inspired me to start taking better care of my hands so I could paint my nails again, a habit I got completely away from. Today I had it removed and got Essie "Clambake" on my toes, and a pale peach on my fingers:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k29o_aabegY/TdvihB316OI/AAAAAAAABGY/H6E72sTUWbQ/essie%2520nail%2520polish%2520lacquer%2520clambake%2520orange%2520red%2520jelly.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wieniawski.blogspot.com/2011/05/essie-clambake-nail-color.html&h=430&w=510&sz=123&tbnid=UzQbJzYLJHRbbM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=111&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dessie%2Bclambake%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=essie+clambake&usg=__QQ0bACuqssha1ICzqFdF2HyJ6QQ=&docid=p2rInC5u02iT8M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4rv8T7HXKcbx0gHchojuBg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ9QEwCg&dur=32

And, in the spirit of getting my act together, I got new glasses! I've been wearing the frameless style for several years now, so these are a big change for me. They're a brown/gold tortie with a dark turquoise hatchwork kind of design in the corners:

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/new%20glasses/?action=view&current=glasses3.jpg

Then I saw this and said, "is that teal or no?"0900631b81e66bbdM.tif?wid=180&hei=180&op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp

This was the issue I had with all the teal at Coldwater Creek, and I came away thinking that theirs was a clear deep Ice/Winter jewel tone. I think you would have to see this dress in person to be sure.

Departure Day...

I wore my new green flutter sleeve from Kohls...neutral Bermuda shorts which are more AIR than EARTH...my gold T-strap sandals...you can see my necklace...you can't see the amber earrings...the bracelet isn't one (it's a brown hair elastic...lol).

Anita, thank you for sharing your anniversary photos. It was fun seeing "your" animal print skirt, I liked it with the yellow top and gold shoes. And that red dress! Stunning! That baby wants to salsa, chica! You look amazing, and happy, and relaxed.

I have shorts and capris in that light neutral AIRish color too. I would never wear that color on top, but it's a good color for a lightish bottom since I never wear a white pant.

MaidMirawyn, I would also like to see some of your purples and reds. I have auburn hair so when I make a mistake with those two it really is painful to look at. :eek: I find the greens, blues and oranges so much easier to deal with. And thank you so much for your advice on dyeing.

And, in the spirit of getting my act together, I got new glasses! I've been wearing the frameless style for several years now, so these are a big change for me. They're a brown/gold tortie with a dark turquoise hatchwork kind of design in the corners:

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i438/Marjaline/new%20glasses/?action=view&current=glasses3.jpg

Oh, very cute! That's a style with a lot of personality.

I'm a graphic designer.

FUN! I wouldn't call myself a graphic designer, but back in the day when I was employed outside the home...I worked in a small marketing department and I was the sole source for all the marketing materials...I would call myself more of a desktop publisher that ALSO did illustrations and design. I LOVE Photoshop...at least I used to back when my skills were current. I could get it back, I know...but the software is so expensive and I have no real reason to invest in that software...but I loved using it.

Just got back from an impromptu mini-vacation last week. There is so much going on here, what a happy Earth board! So much to say but before I chime in I wanted to post these two things while I had them at hand.

Two weeks ago I had my first gel polish french manicure, which was awesome. Anita, your blue nails inspired me to start taking better care of my hands so I could paint my nails again, a habit I got completely away from. Today I had it removed and got Essie "Clambake" on my toes, and a pale peach on my fingers:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_k29o_aabegY/TdvihB316OI/AAAAAAAABGY/H6E72sTUWbQ/essie%2520nail%2520polish%2520lacquer%2520clambake%2520orange%2520red%2520jelly.jpg&imgrefurl=http://wieniawski.blogspot.com/2011/05/essie-clambake-nail-color.html&h=430&w=510&sz=123&tbnid=UzQbJzYLJHRbbM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=111&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dessie%2Bclambake%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=essie+clambake&usg=__QQ0bACuqssha1ICzqFdF2HyJ6QQ=&docid=p2rInC5u02iT8M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=4rv8T7HXKcbx0gHchojuBg&sqi=2&ved=0CGEQ9QEwCg&dur=32

There is something about having nice nails that just makes you feel that much more toward the "outfit" spectrum than just wearing clothes. I'm glad you were inspired! It's just about time for me to redo all my nails...my toes still look great but they have grown...so there you go ladies...I HIGHLY recommend the ULTA polish for toes. I'd have to get a different color for nails...but I think I just might...as I have been consistently redoing weekly...and it feels good, like you said.

Did you take photos on your mini-vaca?

I LOVE the glasses!!! I need a new pair and I want something fun like that. Seriously. I LOVE them. They look great.

Anita, thank you for sharing your anniversary photos. It was fun seeing "your" animal print skirt, I liked it with the yellow top and gold shoes. And that red dress! Stunning! That baby wants to salsa, chica! You look amazing, and happy, and relaxed.

I have shorts and capris in that light neutral AIRish color too. I would never wear that color on top, but it's a good color for a lightish bottom since I never wear a white pant.

Sharing is what makes this thread so great! And thank you for the compliments.

I think it's really hard to nail the neutrals...even if you THINK that something is more warm than cool...when you get it home...well...but if it's not near the face, like you said...and if the color is truly neutral...then it doesn't matter so much. I did that one purchase that was more of an olive green and that wasn't good in AIR...I had to return that one.

Still loving my orange sandals...I think orange is a great neutral really.

There are so many good things to talk about on this thread. That is why sometimes you will see me post two or three times in a row. I go back and re-read something, and then I want to post!

Margaret, I love your nails and the glasses! I took my glasses off for the picture of me in that dress, but I am ready to get some new ones. The style I am wearing is nice, but not quite right. The main reason for new ones is that I have really messed up the scratchguard coating. After speaking to others about this, I have found that they will hold up better without the coating.

Anywhoooo...my nails are currently nice looking right now. I'd love to polish them, but I wear it out so fast that I can only have it on for 2 days and then it starts to chip. We have Living Social deals here, and I got an offer for a local salon to get a gel manicure for $15.00. I am thinking about this. They say it lasts better. Have any of you had experience with this?

Anita, I don't really have as much trouble choosing reds, but when I hit a stumbling block, I start second guessing all my decisions. Since I have an issue with purple and blue right now, I find myself questioning some of my other choices. It's one of those things.

I love pictures, so post some if you have some, Margaret!

MaidMerawyn, I am going to check out that purple shirt on flickr. I find that Photobucket, Flickr and sites such as these really show color and detail very well.

You know what I would love? To have a dress the same purple as Natalie Portman from one of the award shows...I think it was the Oscars, when she was expecting. Curt indicated it was a good purple, and it caught my eye.

Another thing worth mentioning here as well: the names we give for colors can really throw us off. Or the names a manufacturer give. You know, terra cotta, rust, tangerine, maroon, burgundy cranberry. Teal, marine blue, etc. Sometimes, I can picture the color right off. Other times, it throws me off. We have a color in our color cards called maroon, by the way. My first thought when I read it was that it had to be one of those air colors my husband can wear but it's not.

I like that teal dress, so I got to thinking I could order it and take it back if it's not right. My real debate though is that I don't necessarily need it. It would be great on a cruise for formal night, but I confess to liking longer dresses. I would willingly wear it on another night though, me and my daughters always love dressing up for dinner!

Oh, I have sand color shorts too. If you are looking for a nicer short, without cargo pockets and the like, it's hard to find a variety of colors. I want more than just khaki.

I just make sure that my top is 100% earth, and it works.

Did you take photos on your mini-vaca?

I LOVE the glasses!!! I need a new pair and I want something fun like that. Seriously. I LOVE them. They look great.

Still loving my orange sandals...I think orange is a great neutral really.

I agree about orange, that's why I like it on my nails so much.

Thank you everyone for the compliments on my glasses. I'm still getting used to them but I think I will be very happy.

No photos on the mini-vaca. We were just in NJ, mostly swimming and boating. I did laundry at the end of the week and it was all b-suits and tshirts! It has been SO HOT here.

The main reason for new ones is that I have really messed up the scratchguard coating. After speaking to others about this, I have found that they will hold up better without the coating.

We both had serious issues with our prescription sunglasses after getting sunscreen on them. DH had the dark coating start to peel off, and I had some bleaching on my frames. Now we only take our previous glasses to the beach or pool, and leave the newest ones for every day wear. I also never clean them with anything but dishwashing liquid and a linen towel. No kleenex or tshirt or paper towel. We don't usually get the scratch coating, but I like the anti-glare coating especially at work with the flourescent lighting, ugh.

I got an offer for a local salon to get a gel manicure for $15.00. I am thinking about this. They say it lasts better. Have any of you had experience with this?

I just had my first gel polish, Shellac, as a test run for our next cruise. I was extremely happy with it, it wore very well in spite of all the torture I purposely put it through. Except for problems with one index finger it lasted very nicely through swimming, skiing, jetskiing, cooking, laundry, and general tomfoolery (no, I do not act my age, whatever that means).

I collected some tips from the fashion board first, and it was helpful. I chose a light color because as your nails grow the gap isn't so visible between the polish and your cuticle, and I really wasn't sure how much my nails would grow in two weeks.. Also, I usually never cut my cuticles, just push them back, but I let her cut them because if the polish attaches to your skin it will pull it as the nail grows and that does not look attractive. Make sure the polish goes only on the nail. My nails are generally very soft and break easily, but they look nice now from having the Shellac on them.

I was a bit worried, from some of the posts, about both the "abrasion" for applying and the acetone removal. But, both were much milder than I expected and not something I would worry about. Personally I won't be doing this on a regular basis because I have some worries about the UV light and skin damage (because of my prior history), but for a special occasion I won't hesitate to try it again, and I am definitely having it done the day before our cruise.

You know what I would love? To have a dress the same purple as Natalie Portman from one of the award shows...

That dress! I love it too. I would never have tried purple if not for that picture.

Another thing worth mentioning here as well: the names we give for colors can really throw us off. Or the names a manufacturer give. You know, terra cotta, rust, tangerine, maroon, burgundy cranberry. Teal, marine blue, etc.

Maybe Anita can weigh in here, but as for reds I think anything with "berry" in the name can't be good for us, I think they tend to be pinkish.

I'm waiting for the refrigerator repairman, so pardon my longwinded-ness.:)

I had the pleasure of visiting this exhibit at the Met yesterday. What's funny is that my favorite thing was a brown, beige and green coat and dress that can be seen right at the beginning of this video. It was in a section called "Ugly Clothes." The quote from Prada was, in effect, that she liked to work with brown because most people thought it was an ugly color! Too funny! I love brown!

http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2012/05/video-tour-schiaparelli-prada-met-exhibit.html

Margaret, I loved the links you provided to NYMag...I haven't listened to the video yet...DS was asleep and I didn't want to risk waking him too early...but the story was so interesting. Are you planning on visiting this exhibit?

And as for being longwinded...SERIOUSLY? With the way I post...I can only imagine what you think about MY longwindedness! LOL!

I've decided to start the Style Statement exercises. I was debating waiting until we were actually in our own space until doing them because I wasn't so sure how well I could respond to some questions since I am in a temporary living situation...but yesterdays' experience really showed me that this particular living situation can be enlightening in a way that a preacher once suggested for those people having trouble figuring out what they are passionate about...

Answer this question...

What makes you NUTS?

I'm living in just such a situation...and there are several things about it that can make me nuts...

Not to gross anyone out...but I needed to do laundry yesterday...DH had warned me that the laundry room was disgusting. His word. DISGUSTING. And I thought to myself...how bad could it be?

O. M. G.

After about one hour's worth of cleaning...

I could do my laundry...though I'm still a bit grossed out by the washer because my SIL has a front loader...and she either didn't research...or care...about how to properly maintain/use these to avoid the mold growth on the rubber gasket that seals the door...in the slightly chance that anyone reading this thread has had to deal with this issue...does anyone know how to remove mold from the rubber gasket of a front loader washing machine...

I think I'll ask Mr. Google...he knows...he knows everything...

And I have finally determined that IF I were a fairy...as in a DISNEY fairy...I would be a Tinker...I guess you would have had to see the movie that introduced Tinkerbell's origin and world to understand what I am talking about...but there are all different kinds of fairies that has special abilities...water...plants...animals...gadgetry (Tinkers), as in an understanding of the physical nature of things and how the work, fit together, etc. For instance...I'm an EXPERT at repacking anything into it's original container...#D puzzles are no problem for me...and I love to fix things...

Yesterday...I fixed the laundry room...including changing the doors on the machines so that they opened in the proper direction...away from each other, instead of banging into each other when you open both...

I fixed the broken 3-legged half table that was hanging out in the dining room...

I tightened all the formal dining room chairs...and table...

I figured out how to raise the "Easy lift" Treadmill in the family room so that the mat underneath could be cleaned for the first since the family moved into this house one year ago...:eek: *gag*

And I figured out how to repair the busted dining room chair in the utility storage area...I just need one little metal part to secure a spring...I'm going to do that and surprise the BIL and SIL that moved out of the basement before we moved in...

Oh!...and I opened the un-opennable drawer in the kitchen that was jammed by a BBQ tool...and hadn't been used in however long...

And the list of little things that I have done...because the situation in this house is not quite the way that I would have it be...like what is used to clean dishes in the kitchen...how to wash our hands in the main floor powder room...etc etc could go on and on and on...

All this leads me to believe that since I can evaluate a previous condition (Houston)...a current not-of-my making condition and how I would (and am) change it...and a sooner than later future condition (the new rental)...I should be able to know myself a bit better if I just take the time to analyze and think...

So I am going to start this project of self discovery today...

And just so everyone knows...I don't have a negative attitude about my current situation...and I'm not trying to impose my will on my generous SIL...I am actually recognizing my strength in relation to her weakness and figuring that since time is the thing I have in great supply at this moment...the best way I can repay my SIL's help in our moving transition is to take care of a couple things around the house...like she said...having SIL and BIL (much younger than us) living with her made housekeeping that much more difficult...and if only she could get to a certain point, she could maintain...and she thanked me sincerely for fixing her machine doors for her because she just didn't know how to do that...

She's a Master of Physics btw...but she didn't know about the reset button on a garbage disposal until DH helped her out some time last month...

Go figure.

Anyone else have this book? I know you did the exercises Margaret...

Anyway...TGIF everyone!

I couldn't help but to smile Anita. You know I have two SILs that are homemakers, and their homes are an absolute disaster. I work full time, and even though mine isn't perfect, it is generally pretty clean and so forth. My only struggle is with cat hair.

The cats are a sad story. I'm allergic and always have been. I was able to manage with a lot of kleenex and eye drops until I developed asthma. I'd love to give them to a good home, but they are older with health problems, and not exactly desireable. My husband is great about vacuuming up after them but one of them loses a massive amount of hair daily. Thank goodness they don't like the dog (who loses no hair) and they stay in one room most of the time!

Margaret, I will have to check out those shorts. One thing I really need are nicer shorts to wear. This way, I can put on a nice shirt and feel good, if you know what I mean. I pretty much have one nicer pair, the rest are cargos. Guess what color they are? Sand, like the ones Anita wore in her picture.

Me, my daughters and husband went to the mall for a while yesterday. He hasn't been able to get out much since his surgery, and I figured he'd enjoy it. Plus, the mall has air conditioning! It hit 98 here, we needed the break.

We were looking a bit in NY & Co, and my husband spotted some beautiful things. He has a very good grasp on the color thing, he can spot an earth color for me a mile away. With that being said, he caught every earthy thing in the store. Of course, I couldn't buy everything I saw and didn't want to. I did see some great things though and decided to pick up a few since many items were buy one, get one 50% off and I had a coupon as well. Sadly, most of it is going back.

Most of their clothing does not accomodate being full chested. The shirts would be loose at the waist area, but I couldn't breathe. How frustrating! On one shirt, the dollman sleeves were too small. The band at the bottom was intended to reach just above the elbow, and I couldn't believe how tight it was. I was showing my husband, and he said it would fit my daughter right, who is a size 2 or 3.

It was pretty disappointing, although I have a nice pair of carmel ankle pants and a scarf and cardigan I'm keeping. Well, I have to try on the ankle pants again. I know they fit but I want to see what they look like with a top and sandals...I'm not sure I'm the right shape for them?