All things EARTH...

I'll be moving this weekend. We should be spending Friday night in our own place. YAY!!!!!

I've been talking with my SIL. She is a year older than I and she is also in a process of losing weight. Now here's what I've learned from being around her and seeing the clothing that she wears...

Ladies...we have to wear clothes that fit. You HAVE to. I teased my SIL (I can get away with it)...I had asked her about what her size was because I had some clothes that I would be giving away and I didn't know if she would be interested in them...and when she told me her size, I was very surprised because she looked bigger than that...so I stare at her and her clothes. So she stands up and YANK...pulls up her britches which are totally falling down...and I laughed and told her that she needed to go get some britches that FIT as a reward for all her weight loss...even ONE pair...and circumstances were such that I could grab all the excess fabric in her bermuda shorts under her bum and tell her that all that fabric wasn't doing her any favors.

She changed before going to the family BBQ into a pair of capris that she hadn't been able to wear because she had gained too much weight. She proudly announced how she shopped her own closet. And I gushed praise for the fit of her clothes and how great they looked on her.

These were casual clothes...but her work clothes are in the same boat. I mentioned how my SIL likes to watch What Not to Wear...and with all the weight loss etc etc...you can imagine how we can have conversation. And ya'll may or may not know that DH, SIL, and I all went to the same college? So even though SIL and I have not always lived close to each other...we've known each other now for over 20 years and have usually been able to relate on some level. She's going to go shopping this weekend...

The mirror looks one way...and it can be difficult to really see how you look in the 3D world in that flat mirror. But seeing the effect of too big clothes in person...I'm more determined than ever to continue to wear clothes that fit me...even if I wear the same clothes over and over...they will fit me and look good.

So I was talking to Mom last week about how I had my gift Visa card burning a hole in my pocket...and how I had such trouble getting dressed into something that I wanted to be seen in when I was getting ready to register DS for school. The capris Mom gave me are big...the shorts I wore on the cruise are big...they blouse around me and look awful. Even some of my shirts don't look right...because they don't fit properly. I hit Kohl's on Saturday...and I had a field day! I'm happy to report that I stayed on target and didn't get too distracted...

When you are focused on a shopping goal...wow...when you know your colors...and have a clue about what silhouette will be flattering...when you can determine if the required cleaning of the garment works for you...you can be a MACHINE in the store...and decisions can be fast...grab this batch of clothes...try them on...and it's much easier to determine the love or the hate...and then you wake up to the fact that if the garment only falls into the "like" category...you should just put it back on the rack...

Kohl's is having the end of season sale...the garments I got, of course, are not all on the web site. :mad: I purchased a pair of darker denim shorts (not bermuda), a pair of chocolate brown capris, and a lighter colored skort with darker tan stitching. AND a sundress. And a scarf. Here's the dress...I'm so excited because it's EARTH blue:

1021589_Shlana_Jade?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1

The border design has rust/orange colors...this is what I wore to the family BBQ gathering with my orange sandals and amber jewelry. And this is the infinity scarf:

1058741_Browns?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/accessories/scarves_wraps/PRD~1058741/Apt+9+Zigzag+Infinity+Scarf.jsp

Great colors in this scarf! I haven't been a scarf person in the past, but I've always admired the look on other people. I like the idea of this one because it's kind of like a necklace? I think this will go well to dress up that teal t-shirt from Old Navy. You got that shirt Margaret?

And yesterday, I was in JCPenny and I purchased these dress shorts:

DP0605201222092017M.tif?op_usm=1.5,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp&rgn=0,0,3000,3000&scl=7.894736842105263&id=11G_kbsTFtYI4FFbVw33Bn

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/women/fair-square-prices/month-long-values/worthington-belted-shorts/prod.jump?ppId=pp500970153&catId=cat100250098&deptId=dept20000013&selectedLotId=8162586&selectedSKUId=81625860034&rootDimName=categories,brand&navState=navState-:catId-cat100250098:subcatId-:subcatZone-false:N-100260317%20287:Ns-:Nao-0:ps-24:pn-1:Ntt-:Nf-:action-guided%20navigation&topDim=Categories&topDimvalue=shorts&dimCombo=Categories|Brand&dimComboVal=shorts|worthington&currentDim=Brand&currentDimVal=worthington&searchCount=123&sortType=Featured

They call the color Bronze but it is a great rusty brown kind of color...it reminds me of that "Burnt Sienna" crayon of old? I think it will look great with the teal tee and the new scarf...and my tribal print sleeveless with the beads in the neckline...as well as a TON of other clothes...but the fact that I had at least two full outfits in mind...the fabric is sateen...it has a shine on it...these are definitely more dressy...I haven't had anything like this before...usually I go to capris for the function of dressier but still cooler and somewhat casual bottoms...but I don't always love the length of capris...so I'm happy to try out these dress shorts.

And now I seriously need to clear out the too big from the wardrobe. I was saying to Mom that with school starting, and with the moving being over, I wouldn't mind trying my hand at some alterations...I like to sew, but I don't want to overwhelm myself with projects, so I need to select some clothing to try out. Kim, I had to keep those Athleta skirts...I couldn't help myself...since I have two of them...I'll decide which one I care about more...use the other one for a learning curve and hopefully be able to do an even better job on the second one...I also have two pairs of Cache capris that Mom gave me...sand and white...I think I'll do the same for these capris...I find though, that the sand isn't as great with some of my EARTH colors...so I might compound that experiment with dying the white capris a better EARTH color...

After the move, I'll be taking some pictures...

Anita - I LOVE those dressy shorts, I may have to make a trip to Kohl's!

I also loved looking at the make-up colors you recently bought, and I think it was on here where someone was talking about J-Lo and her bright pink lipstick. I know golden/bronze eyes and pink lips are the trend right now, and I couldn't help noticing how all five of our female gymnasts last night had on very pale pink lipstick and they are all beautiful "Earth" girls - it just did not match their skin tones! I do like to keep up with make up trends, and found a nice color at Clinique called Bamboo Pink which is light and has a touch of pink but it is more of a shell pink so it doesn't look so "off" with my earth skin tone. Just an observation of how trendy colors aren't always the best for everyone!

The shorts were JCPenny! Very nicely made too. The leg hems are covered with a ribbon and there is a ribbon covering the exposed edge on the interfacing of the waist band. They have the look of lined bottoms without being lined. And the length is just right...not too long but definitely not too short. I highly recommend for an EARTH woman!

The shorts were JCPenny! Very nicely made too. The leg hems are covered with a ribbon and there is a ribbon covering the exposed edge on the interfacing of the waist band. They have the look of lined bottoms without being lined. And the length is just right...not too long but definitely not too short. I highly recommend for an EARTH woman!

Oh yes, I see that now in the link! :) I am stopping by JC Penney tonight after a hair appointment to pick up a wedding gift - I will have to check them out.

SO.

We are about to move into a new neighborhood...and DS is starting a new school...these are the two first opportunities that I have to meet new people. And I find myself very conscious of my appearance...rather, how I am presenting myself to the world...and what kind of impression I make. I haven't completed the Style Statement book, but I have been thinking along these lines for so long and have been doing the exercises as I can so that I am forming a general picture of myself.

And one thing that I realize that has become something of a thing for me is my nails! How funny is that? Maybe it is because I have always admired Mom's nails...if you don't know...she can grow them like nobody's business...and has always been able to have nails any length she wants...including "dragon lady" until one breaks and she actually would have to TRIM her nails...

It turns out that I am in total like with the teal nails. I don't know why, but the darker teal toes (the Ulta color) with the metallic lighter fingers (the Nicole color) is my total fav. And so I did this tonight. Painted all my nails. And I am LOVING the whole paint the ring finger different thing.

For my EARTH sisters, that Ulta shade "Not from concentrate" is very light...and I didn't care for the way it looked this past time around because you could see the whites of my nails (the tips) through the color...and because my nails weren't even...I didn't like the look...so I started experimenting with a design on my nails...and I ended up with my pinky, ring, and middle having a design...using the darker orange color I have and gold. And I discovered that I really liked nail art.

So tonight...I wanted to do the ring finger thing...so I went looking for inspiration and found that I liked this and thought I could do it:

blue_flower_design_1.jpg

But I couldn't do the swoops to make the flower. Note that I am only doing the ring finger. So it morphed into dots to make the five petals...the darker teal on the metallic teal...and I used the orange to make the middle of the flower with two smaller dots forming a kind of artistic stem. If I had only planned to do dot-like petals in the first place...my flower would be much cleaner and crisp in appearance...but still...I like it...and I'll do it again. I debated the orange v. the gold center...so I'll play with that...

And then I thought that a butterfly design would be really cool too...

And so I'll try that as well...

It's excess for myself to do too many nails...I like just the ring finger...not a fan of the thumb and ring finger for me...

I don't know what that says about me for style...but I'm going with it.

I'm doing the walk through of our rental house tomorrow. My Realtor and the listing agent will be present as we take photos of the condition of the house. This is the strangest thing...I've always had a form to fill out on my own. Whatever. I will be in my new neighborhood and so I will be presenting myself. I'm happy with my nails...

I think I might just put on my new dress again. It's so comfy. And for how easy it is to put on a dress...there is something about a dress that makes you look so put together IMO. And yet...because everyone knows how easy a dress is to wear...I think it also has that carefree summer thing going on.

I do have to say that I'm getting stumped by some of the Style Statement exercises...but I have some more insight into the whole Home and Stuff area...nothing like having to shop for a home to make you think about what is really important...

Can ya'll believe it's AUGUST?

Anita,

How exciting life sounds for you right now! Have fun and enjoy the newness of everything.

I have have recently lost some weight too, about 8-10 pounds. I found out I have high cholesterol and my lipid profile is high too :( So, I've been watching my fats really closely. Some of my clothes have become baggy, especially in the behind. I think I'm going to take some of them to a seamstress and have them altered. They're too new to toss, I just can't bear it. My Athleta clothing doesn't look like it will be easily altered, it has pockets, seams that are on an angle, etc. Have you noticed that in yours?

I wore my new scarf to dinner a couple of weeks ago and had DH take a picture. I'll see what you all think if I ever post my new pictures. I have some newish pictures but I'm too lazy to post them right now :o We're going to the South Carolina coast to camp for a week or so and I'm also getting ready for that. Off topic but, I found a "new" way for us to eat healthy, cook quickly and have some different menu items while tent camping. I'm precooking most dinners, vacuuming them in bags and then we will just drop them in boiling water to cook at the campsite. We did it on our last camping trip and it worked well. You just have to be careful what you select to cook as some things will not freeze and then boil to be reheated well. The frozen food bags also help to keep the coolers cold. it works for us.

Fun to read all the posts over here on the EARTH thread and I love all of the pictures you are all posting.

Anita, I hope your move went well and you're happily settled in your new place. I can't believe your son starts school so early! Kids here don't go back here until after Labor Day, and my college doesn't start until late September!

About the purple dress, I think I'm going to take it back. While it is a lovely dress, I think I agree with you that the color is not for me. Also, when I look at other dresses I own, and most of my shirts, they generally have some texture or detail to them that leads the eye around, whereas this is just a giant block of color with no movement to it.

My grandma used to say, you either wear the dress or the dress wears you. I think this is the latter.

As for looking softer in the dark blue dress from last year, you are right. I had surgery on my arm last summer and couldn't exercise at all for two weeks, and then my arms for an additional four weeks, so I missed most of the ski season and wasn't in great shape last fall. I definitely feel more toned now, though I have a good ways to go.

Hello everyone! It's been quite busy this past week. My dad hasn't been well.

Anita, thank you for the compliment on that outfit. I really love the way that came together. I was concerned about the ankle pants because I have never actually owned a pair. I think that now that I've had the chance to evaluate them, they work out good. Sometimes, with weight at the upper part of your body, capris can make it seem pronounced. The shirt is from Dress Barn and the ankle pants are from NY & Co. The shoes are a pair I think I got at Bon Ton last year. They have a nice bit of dressiness to them, if there is such a word. They have a small wedge that I thinkmakes them flattering, yet they are so comfy! And that is my gel manicure on my fingernails in a champagne like color. The pedi was a color I found upstairs, lol. But it works!

Your post about your SIL and her weight loss is very timely. My problem has been slightly different, but with the same results. My daughter works at Dress Barn, and every time I consider something there, she makes me try it on. And, she makes me bring in more than one size. I am realizing I have purchased tops that are XL when I could wear a large, and the large looks better. That shirt in the picture is a large. Normally I would grab the extra large and say "good, it fits the girls" and go purchase it. I found a cute top today that I think works. Oh, and she insists I try on the large first. She tells me there is no need to even try on the XL unless the large is small somewhere.

This comes into play with a few shirts I bought but don't really wear becaue they were not just loose, but a bit big. Even though I wear the same size still, it was just enough for those shirts to look baggy. I sew, so I think I might try a few small adjustments. I do not have a serger so there are some things I won't touch, but the two tops I have in mind I can do.

Margaret, I am thinking about what Anita said about your dresses, and then about your latest comments. I think the purple dress looks, great, but what your grandma said...maybe the dress does own you a bit.

If I get a chance, I will have my daughter take a picture or two of my new shirts. One is a teal gauze type shirt, the other is a print. They both seem to be good earth colors to me, but a bit different than most of my recent finds. I was really hoping to find a nice muted yellow that wasn't gold, and the print has that in there.

Those shorts from JC Penney: I just had to let you know that I saw them a few weeks ago, and stopped in my tracks. I didn't know how the style would work for me because my legs are a bit thigh heavy. I figured I should try them on and see, but they didn't have my size. :(

I like that dress from Kohls. Is is a jerssey type fabric?

Margaret, you are absolutely right about how much pictures help us. It has really helped me a lot.

Happy Sunday!

We are in our new home and live! That is, back on the internet! LOL. Funny how cut off you can feel from the world when you don't have internet access...a testament to the times.

I'm sitting here listening to my kitty holler...he wants outside so bad...but we let him out yesterday and all he did was hunker down under the deck all day. And the deck is pretty level to the ground. Finally after 11 pm last night...DH and forced him out...it wasn't pretty...and it IS almost comical BUT I am not going through that again. So he has to stay inside today...silly cat...much to his disappointment...and we get to hear him talk to us...he has really turned into a chatty kitty. Good grief Mom, you should hear Toby.

In terms of Style Statement...and the analyzing of self...I am observing myself and my family as we settle into a new home. What is important? How do use the space(s)? What makes a room feel good? What gets unpacked first? It's an interesting process to be going through with respect to thinking about style and how, whether you are aware of it or not, you have style, you have a way of doing things...and going through the process moving, having to establish myself and my family so that we can establish "normal" is a learning experience.

Laurie...I know what you are dealing with the whole shirt thing...and from one busty lady to another...I was wearing XL...and :( sometimes the XL was a bit tight...I definitely avoided button down shirts because I hated the gaps that would sometimes happen? So I almost always wore a knit. And it wasn't until I started reading clothing reviews and buying clothing online that I started reading about other busty ladies...and tall ladies...wearing sizes that I never imagined they would. You HAVE to try on those smaller sizes...kudos to your daughter...keep it up. I know it's hard to wrap your head around the smaller sizes...Mom and I talk about this...

That dress at Kohl's is that kind of polyester matte jersey? I think that's what they call it? It has stretch, but also it has weight, so it has good drape. Too bad about the shorts not being in your size. Is there another store around? I believe these shorts are lengthy enough to get past that point that makes shorts ride up? KWIM? And the color is really great. Neutral like but a color. I think they'll easily go into autumn here.

Margaret...good job passing on the dress. I recently had to go through this brain battle with the swimsuit I got from Athleta so long ago. The fit just wasn't there...and their return policy is great...so I decided to send it back. It was a birthday gift from Mom and Dad...I went online shopping there and found some things that I really liked...so we'll see how they are when they come.

Might have to get the camera out soon...

Anita, it's funny when you talk about wearing shorts into autumn where you are. I live in central New York, the snow capital of the United States. We definitely have 4 seasons.

We've had an incredibly hot, dry summer for this area, but I think everyone pretty much has. It's been very hard to get used to. Before we know it though, I'll be getting my boots ready!

I was thinking of ordering those shorts online. If I do, I promise myself that I won't keep them unless they are right. I have to remind myself to do that.

I wore a shirt today that was too big, and it drove me crazy. I think I can alter it to make it work.

I will have to get to Kohl's. We never seem to get there often. It's not far away, but it isn't close either.

Laurie, I've lived in the south or a more temperate climate for most of my life...CA had seasons...but not the extremes in any direction. For only 7 years of my life have I really lived with hot summers; snowy and/or icy winters, and serious transitional seasons. That was in Colorado and Kansas. The most recent years of my life have, by and large, been in the south. And we can dress differently here in the transitional seasons...and the winter season is short.

We are getting settled in at our new house. I REALLY like it. It's almost surprising how much I am enjoying this rental house. Even though I haven't finished the Style Statement book (I've barely begun!)...I've learned a couple things from just thinking about the idea of a style statement...and the main thing is this:

I need to trust what I like...for whatever reason...and stop thinking that I SHOULD like or SHOULD do something...for whatever reason...

So I'm settling into this house with a purpose and a confidence that I've never quite had before...and I've been making furniture purchases like crazy...

It's all very exciting!

I have so many pictures to take...just got my new shipment from Athleta today...and everything I got is fabulous. I'll have to share...but this is the last week of summer...school starts Monday, so it may not be until then...

Anita, it's interesting that we were talking about climates, and you mentioned the last full week of summer down there. Kids here start school the day after Labor Day, and the finish up at the end of June. I'm past all that now with only one daughter still in school, and it's college. She will be going back in about a week and a half.

It's been one of those summers where I feel like I didn't get to spend much time with her. Part of it is just normal growing up stuff - she has a part time job, a boyfriend and likes to go places with friends. We are very close though, so we always try to take time to do things. My dad's health hasn't been good, so we've been spending more time with him at home or with him at the hospital it seems. She is a giving person though, and she doesn't resent it. Last night when I got home from the hospital she seemed a bit down. I asked why, and she said she needed to get up to the hospital to see her grandpa.

I bought this nice top for work not too long ago. It had shorter dolman sleeves, and it felt kind of tight for the sleeve band was so I took it back and got a bigger size, without trying it on. My daughter should have been with me that day. I wore it to work yesterday, and it wouldn't even stay on my shoulders. I think I can adjust it, but it only goes to prove the value of trying things on in the store. If it doesn't fit right, I shouldn't be bringing it home!

On the plus side, one of my other formals is back home. I was having the dress hemmed by a seamstress, because of the way the hem was done. I would have done it myself, but I wasn't comfortable with it. I will try it on and have one of my daughters take a picture of me wearing it so I can post it here. I bought this one a little while ago, but I'd like to get some thoughts on how you and Margaret feel about it. It's not going anywhere, but I learn so much when I see a picture of myself wearing something, and when I get feed back. It's a great learning experience.

Here is the outfit I wore for our anniversary. We were spending the afternoon looking in little shops and going to an antique boat show before dinner.

310.jpg

I wanted to say how much I love this outfit on you. Just beautiful! Looking forward to seeing pix of your new formal.

Anita, I love what you said about trusting what you like, and not liking something because you should. The more I work with international students, the more I realize that all those things that we are taught about what is proper and tasteful and attractive are just cultural norms that are totally arbitrary based on where you are born and what your family does and thinks. It is refreshing to realize that you can like what you like because you like it, and that's all it is.

I'm still enjoying all my Earthy summer clothes, and the hot weather. I don't want summer to end. :cool:

My parents are here, and my mom is slightly disabled, so I have my hands full. BTW she's an EARTH who dresses like an AIR, and I wish I could take her shopping and redo her makeup. :)

I took so many pictures today of our new home so that I could give Mom and Dad a photo tour. I took 81 pictures! OMG. Well...for one photo, I realized that I was behind the flash in the mirror. And so I paused to take a photo of myself in one of my new Athleta dresses. Here I am in the light of the powder room, with the flash turned off:

NewRental021.jpg

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50004&vid=1&pid=906163

My dress is the Cargo color. It's a technical fabric. Matte. Built in shelf bra that turns off headlights. The pattern is paisley but it has a camo effect to me...but I like it. Yes...my nails look that horrible. MOVING!! Ugh. And they are PEELING...UGH...like the actual nail. *sigh*

I love this dress. Easy to wear. It's difficult to see the seaming detail...but it's fun.

Anita, that dress is great for you. You really like the clothes from Athleta. I have never really looked at them, I will have to take a peek. I really need a few more easy to wear items. My husband and I share a standard sized closet. It is not a walk in or anything like that. I may wash something, hang it up, iron it...but it gets a bit smushed in the closet. I often can toss it in the dryer a few minutes to freshen back up. If I can take something out and not have to do all that, it's a wonderful thing! Obviously, with a smaller, shared closet, I can't hang up my weekend wear either. That means even cargo capris get pretty wrinkled.

Here is a picture of one of my formal dresses. I bought this before the green one. I love the dress, and I'm hoping to get the "roll" in the hip area under control if I want it to look better. I'm wearing a basic one piece shaper. It just smooths things out, it doesn't make me smaller. I am hesitant about getting something girdle like. This has been a problem area for me since I had my daughters. I lost weight very quickly and was working out majorly every day about 8 or 9 years ago, and was a little size 4. I still had that roll thingy. (I will never do that again, by the way. I was too small for my frame, and I did things in the most unhealthy way...another story!)

photo.jpg

Margaret, you know what? I tend to migrate towards air colors a lot myself, and just have to restrain myself. I think it's because they muted. Granted, they are cool, but they are muted.

When someone is along in years, they usually don't want someone telling them what they look good in, so I am sure you can't offer your mother any of your wisdom unless she seeks it. ;)

So, my husband is in Bon Ton the other day with me and stops at a rack of summer shirts on sale. He picks one up, holds it next to him, and says "so, is this my color???" Think sarcasm. I asked him if he had color cards yet so he could double check...

Seriously though, he has an excellent eye for color.

I'm more determined than ever to continue to wear clothes that fit me...even if I wear the same clothes over and over...they will fit me and look good.

I think it's about feeling good about losing weight, and the loose clothes are a reminder. But to other people, they're just baggy clothes! They don't necessarily know our history, they're just going by how we look now.

When you are focused on a shopping goal...wow...when you know your colors...and have a clue about what silhouette will be flattering...when you can determine if the required cleaning of the garment works for you...you can be a MACHINE in the store...

I've been discovering this myself, especially in stores like Marshall's which are kind of disorganized and things aren't sorted by collection. I'm much less likely to purchase orphans now.

1021589_Shlana_Jade?wid=400&hei=400&op_sharpen=1

I have this in the tank top version :) It has bronze beading where this dress has the knot-like trim. I love it, and get compliments every time I wear it.

And I like that cute Athleta dress. Anita, you really look great. When you talk about your weight and losing more, I think you can't possibly need to lose that much because you are so nicely proportioned now. Please tell me you are very tall. :)

Laurie, you are spot on about my mom. I never bother to say a word. She's still wearing the same pink frosted lipstick from 1965, though I have to say she is still a beautiful woman, which is partly why I wish I could dress her. I think she picks all these faded cool colors and pastels because her hair is so much lighter than it used to be.

Oh, pretty brown dress! I don't know why they don't make more formals in the brown/bronze range. They look so good on us! Sometimes I think the only woman they design for is a tall blond with a tan.

So, all my family has gone home, and I stayed on my weekly calorie targets for the roughly two weeks they were here. My family does not have the best eating habits, so I knew there would be some splurges, and I planned ahead by banking some calories on the days when we weren't going out to dinner. But, I have to say that on those days when I was over my limit I was not really happy about how I felt. So, I am glad that now they are gone I can go back to my routine, and have fewer goodies in the house to tempt me. And really, white bread? Why? :)

You know how you have those clothes that are in your size but just a little tight, so you never choose them? Well, now I'm wearing 'em. :D And some of the larger ones give me baggy butt! Yea!

The first of the fall catalogs are rolling in, and these two have some lovely colors for EARTH. Lands End has a lovely color called Bittersweet, and I'm liking their colored jeans. On page 48 there is a beautiful example of color layering. Coldwater Creek has some lovely scarves on page 33, and once you get past all the black & white in the front there are some beautiful tops and sweaters in EARTH colors. I especially like the sweater on page 37. They're having a 25% off sale until 8/23.

http://s7.landsend.com/s7/brochure/flash_brochure.jsp?company=LECat&sku=EL12US_E712US_eCatalog&config=LECat/core_eCatalog&locale=en&image=LECat/EL12US_E712US_eCatalog

http://content.yudu.com/A1xvj0/CWC2012Fall1/resources/index.htm

Margaret...I love your posts when you share things like the catalogs! I'm having fun looking at them. I'm thinking that EARTH is scoring big time with Land's End...haven't looked at the other yet...because there are several great looking EARTH colors in that catalog!

My neighborhood is a Country Club neighborhood...there are several different neighborhoods actually...it isn't so very grand or ostentatious...the neighborhoods are very normal IMO without any great entrance facades or major common areas like we used to have in the Master Planned community we lived in. There is a Women's Club for the collective neighborhood but you don't have to be a member of the country club to join. Today was their Open House from 10 am to 1 pm to meet and learn.

I wore my new light colored skort that I recently purchased at Kohl's with that summery green colored flutter sleeve shirt that I wore on our Anniversary overnight with a new scarf I purchased here in Georgia. I wore amber earrings that were my Grandmother's. My toes are still blue...and I wore my Target orange sandals.

Here's my new backyard backdrop:

003-6.jpg

DH took this photo this morning before I left...I just snapped this close up a few minutes ago:

006-4.jpg

And here are the fabulous colors in the scarf. I was so excited to find this at JCPenny because it's a summer weight scarf with a very airy weave:

007-1.jpg

I'm very happy with this particular outfit because it is EARTH colors that feel very summery to me. And this is something that I feel is challenging for us EARTH ladies.

Anita Latte -- I have that same scarf in a mustard color that I am 95% sure is also earth. Every time I wear it I get a ton of compliments. I usually wear it with a mustard color top but I actually wore it once with a dark pinkish top that I don't think is earth but it went with the scarf and because the color of the scarf is so perfect it actually made the pink top work.

Laurspag -- your brown dress is AMAZING. I am planning a cruise for late next year and I'd love to find a gorgeous brown/bronze formal dress for it. That one is perfect. You look absolutely fabulous in it. and the roll you see that you are worried about? Fuhgeddaboutit. I only noticed it when you mentioned it. You look so wonderful in the dress that no one will be looking at the imperfection you see in yourself. They will be too busy looking at how great that color is on you and how you sparkle because of it.

Edited by ChollaChick

Here are a few tidbits from this month's Vogue. First, the return of some 80's trends I'm happy to see again.

the return of brass hardware on handbags, yippee:

AugV01.jpg

winter white, especially in suits and skirts:

AugV02.jpg

glittery buttons, these from the Vuitton collection:

AugV03.jpg

tall boots (and check out the fab brown coat on the left):

AugV04.jpg

Next, some of my favorite pictures.

Cute red dress:

AugV05.jpg

Cute orange dress, and the return of the structured handbag:

AugV08.jpg

Normally I think peach can be too cutesy, but this is definitely glamorous:

AugV06.jpg

Finally, I'm not generally a fan of Tommy Hilfiger, but his fall collection might have some interesting reds:

AugV07.jpg

Enjoy!

Fun post, Margaret! I know that a lot of the trends tend to stay on the models instead of the average person, but I see some nice items here, plus some older styles that I enjoy. I love those big buttons! And that orangey long sleeved dress.

Anita, the more I think about it, the more I might try to see if I can order those shorts online. If the fit is right, they may be just what I want to add to my wardrobe. I do find a lot in JC Penney's overall.

Anita, I like your scarf. My daughter has a similar one. It's not just nice for this time of the year, but it is great when you don't want something too bulky. I love scarves, but I think I need to watch how much fullness I add to that area of my body in general.

Chollachick, I was happy to be able to get a brown dress. They are difficult to find, but brown seems to be an "in" color the past year or two, so it is a bit easier. I would love to find more olive and forest green.

YAY!!!!

I was so SICK of my hair!

I didn't particularly LOVE the last cut...so I wasn't enthused to go back to the same lady to have it cut again...by the time I had decided that maybe I would go back...she had moved...and then I found out that we were most likely moving...and it didn't make any sense to me at all to search for another stylist when I couldn't keep going to that stylist...

My SIL's have hair similar to mine...lots of hair...heavy hair...but honestly, I think I have MORE hair than them...anyway...they both get their hair cut by the same stylist...I thought I would give her a try because the cuts are decent...hard to tell the talent behind the cut, because the cuts are a bit more conservative than what I was going for...

WELL...

I had an appt for Tuesday and I was SO excited for it...but 30 minutes before the appt, I get a phone call saying that the salon is so sorry but the stylist is no longer at the salon...and they didn't know where she was going...did I want to track that stylist down or did I want to reschedule with another stylist?

Now I am a woman of faith...and I just believe that if I'm on the wrong road, then a detour pops up and puts me on the right road...so I explained that I had no loyalty whatsoever to the one stylist...I had never seen her...it was a recommendation...and I'd be happy to reschedule BUT...I needed someone skilled with cutting someone with a lot of hair...

Like a LOT of hair...

And I'm not joking...

I have a LOT of hair...and I need someone who can deal with it all...

So I got an appt for today at noon...

And I'm SO HAPPY with my hair!!!

She didn't do a fancy do at the end...she styled it very simply...showed me a great product (of course) that would help me do what I wanted...she understood the fact that I needed and wanted EASY hair...and that I wouldn't fuss over it in a daily routine...but that I WOULD play with it more for going out, etc. ...so I have to admit...

I felt a little flat coming out of the salon...

Because I'm used to the big production of the blow dry with the round brush, etc etc. and having hair that looks so fabulous when you leave the salon...

Not that I didn't look fabulous...

It's just that there wasn't the big production...

But at the same time...

I've never REALLY left a salon after that production thinking that I could make my hair EVER look as good again...

So this was a new experience all around for me...and now that I've had some time to play a bit with my hair...I absolutely LOVE it...

Now I know that there's something about my bangs in the first photo...it's like the line is too heavy from where there isn't any hair to where there IS hair...and so I'm happy to see the photo so that I can do something about that to improve that transition...

But here you go:

006-9.jpg

008-6.jpg

009-6.jpg

This is a very versatile cut...I could totally slick this back and get that kind of look...I can put in a bunch of product and spike the back...I can easily pull the side over my ears and rearrange the top for that kind of look...I'm actually very excited to have a chance to play so much with it...

I feel like I finally have hair with a bit of personality and that personality is in keeping with me. I'm going to have to remember this for my worksheets in the Style Statement!

And in my determination to maintain...I already booked the 6 week appt. So we'll see how well this cut lasts over the next 6 weeks...hopefully, the style will transition through the growth and not make me too crazy by that time.