All things EARTH...

Laurie, I was watching Vanna White walk with a train tonight and I thought of you! There are tricks to it, you should check her out. Instead of turning right around she would walk in a teeny tiny circle so the train would wrap around behind her.

Jane, I can't wait to see your new MOB ensemble -- your last gold one was just so, so beautiful.

Today we went from snow, to ice, to rain... it makes me not even want to get dressed to go out, let alone worry about my choices. I burned the shirt I was going to wear with the iron, oh well it was black and green so good riddance! Just one of those days when you throw on something convenient and try not to think about it. Tomorrow, though, I'm guest-lecturing in a class for another department, so I want to look GOOD. Earth good!

Love the teal coat! I've been thinking about outerwear more than normal since we've been living in it lately. Especially in NYC, which is such a pedestrian city, people see you in your coat and accessories a lot. It makes me think that next year when I buy a new coat, I'll be looking for brown winter boots as well. I've had the same black ones for years and years, and if I lose enough weight to need a new coat, then I think I deserve new boots!

Here's some eye candy. Love this brown suit, and the yellow bag next to it:

Stripes_0001.jpg

And, a helpful article about blazers:

Blazers_0001.jpg

Edited by MJC
resize pics

Margaret, we've been going from rain, to snow, to ice...today we have high winds. The thing I hate the most is the ice and freezing rain. I was scared to death waiting for everyone to get home safely. I can't help but to worry until I see everyone home. On top of that, my daughter had a blister on her foot from new shoes that broke, and she ended up with a big foot infection. She was hobbling around campus in that weather on crutches. Oiy.

I am liking that suit too. It goes up too high near the neck for my shape, but I love the color. The purse too! I thought the shoes were cute too, but when you get to these styles that are different, I'm always trying to figure out what to wear them with. I could see them with a nice, dark finish pair of jeans, or with a casual pair of pants, maybe a khaki sort of color. I was thinking a skinny boot cut. A skinny bootcut won't do anything for me, but I could see my younger daughter in them.

The dress from Chadwicks has some wonderful colors in it. I would say there are earth tones in there for sure, but the dress has an overall clear bright look to it. It may be a bit too much for us earth gals.

It's funny that you are posting a picture from Chadwicks, as I used to buy so much from there! Lately though, they have mostly ice tones. I love the blazers they have. If you are a fire, they often have good clothes in the spring.

I am getting so impatient! I know if I pack now, everything will be all wrinkled. I went through and ironed everything - all my shirts, shorts, etc. I feel realy good about my wardrobe overall. The colors are really good and earthy. A few of the styles and fit are a bit off, but overall, it's a pretty solid wardrobe. That makes me feel so much more confident.

Wow, we just went a week without Internet, that was illuminating. I have to say the thing I missed most was online banking. I was dreading having to hand-write a bunch of checks! Am I spoiled or what? Even though we're not going on a cruise any time soon, I did miss my CC visits too!

Laurie, you must be so excited! This week! I hope you have a fabulous time. We can't wait to see pictures when you get back. I love the week before vacation, when I'm going through my checklist and actually putting things in the suitcase. Ahhh.

We're finally seeing hints here in the stores of the colors for spring. I think there might be some lovely muted turquoises for us EARTH ladies, we'll have to keep an eye out and see what they look like IRL.

This weekend both the Lands End and LL Bean catalogs came. Lands End is so full of brights, lots of red, blue, and yellow, that it went right in the trash. But, LL Bean has some lovely colors - Jadeite, Triullium Red, Burnt Sienna, Maritime Blue, Aqua Sky, Driftwood Heather - more muted and warm than what they usually carry. I'm not buying anything new until probably May when I know what size I'll be, but it is nice to look. :)

I know I'm wishful thinking, but my first brochure about Africa came today....

Hi Margaret! I spent a lot of time this weekend getting ready for my cruise. I like to iron everything, because this way it looks fresher later on. I have all these things on hangers everywhere, lol. My iron can be used as a steamer when holding it upright, so I made sure my formal night dresses looked good. I got out the suitcases, and started putting shoes, jewelry and the stuff that doesn't wrinkle in them. The rest has to wait, if I want to keep it looking nice!

I was a bit confused over what to wear for my flight. It's going to be in the 20s here, and I'm heading to Florida. I finally decided on a gold short sleeved top. It is the same as the peach one I'm wearing with my coral skirt. It's rather borderline between autumn and fire, but looks good next to my cards. I am wearing jeans, and an ivory sweater with metallic gold threads running through and a scarf I ordered from Sam Moon. For my feet, I have booties that don't have zippers, they just slip on.

Here is my thinking: I will need a coat on the way to the airport. Since our daughters are dropping us off, we will leave our coats in the car. The outfit will be comfortable on the plane, and when I get to Florida, the scarf and/or sweater can come off, and then sandals can go on. It will be fine for one evening in Florida. My thinking with the booties are that they are easy on and off in the airport. I am going to wear the same outfit home. I'm doing what I can to make sure I have room for everything!

Now, Curt recommended that I hem up the brown cocktail dress a bit. I posted a picture of that a few pages back, I think. I decided to take it to a tailor that has been around a while, but not my usual place. I figured that I'm only hemming the dress up a few inches, right? Ugh....well, it's completely fixable but I won't bring anything there again! I wasn't counting on bringing that anyway, so I'm okay with my dresses. The tailor did fine with the chiffon layer, but she didn't smooth out the satin and the lining before she hemmed it, so it lays funny. It makes the dress stick out a bit on one side. Like I said, it is fixable. I would have done it myself to begin with, but the chiffon has one of those thing, rolled hems and my basic sewing machine doesn't do those.

Lesson learned! When I get back, I will either fix it myself since the rolled hem is fine, or bring it to my favorite place.

A whole week without the internet? It's funny how used to things we get. With a hearing loss, I use email and Facebook so much. It is the easiest way to keep in touch with my family. I would be lost without it.

Africa, hm....I haven't thought about more exotic places yet. I am hoping to have one cruise a year and one trip to explore the United States. We may be bypassing the second trip this year because of an unexpected water (expensive!) problem but we are planning a cruise for all 4 of us in 2014. The girls are so excited about that.

We went to the Grand Canyon last year, and that was just incredible. There are so many places I want to travel to, so many places I want to see.

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to give you all a major "heads up"!

Banana Republic has a PERFECT Earth Trench right now.

On the website it looks like a bright Fire - but in actual person it's a perfect beautiful Earth muted tone!

As soon as I saw it, I thought of all of you.

It's really nice and could be a great long term classic capsule wardrobe piece for any of you in the market for it.

cn5720594.jpg

Just wanted to let you all know.

It's a perfect Earth tone in actuality - the picture/tone on the website is completely off.

Check it out in person.

CyberHugs you all!

:D

Now, Curt recommended that I hem up the brown cocktail dress a bit. I posted a picture of that a few pages back, I think. I decided to take it to a tailor that has been around a while, but not my usual place. I figured that I'm only hemming the dress up a few inches, right? Ugh....well, it's completely fixable but I won't bring anything there again! I wasn't counting on bringing that anyway, so I'm okay with my dresses. The tailor did fine with the chiffon layer, but she didn't smooth out the satin and the lining before she hemmed it, so it lays funny. It makes the dress stick out a bit on one side. Like I said, it is fixable. I would have done it myself to begin with, but the chiffon has one of those thing, rolled hems and my basic sewing machine doesn't do those.

Lesson learned! When I get back, I will either fix it myself since the rolled hem is fine, or bring it to my favorite place.

Oh noes!

My first question is that the length/cut is as good for you as I advised in general?:confused:

Second is that it can be easily fixed in some way, as in my mind it will be so amazing and perfect on you!;)

A general idea/note is that on something like this, you can actually "iron" or just put some weights/books on the part that is not folding right to make it work temporarily.

Not for the long run, but just for a day...

(Secrets from a location set:D)

Hey Curt! You know what? It seems like most outerwear is black. Or gray. Or some other ice color! That orange really looks beautiful, and it is so refreshing to see to see warm colors.

my dress isn't ruined, thank goodness. It should be a fairly easy fix. But, you make a good point with the ironing or putting something heavy on it, especially with it being the under part of the dress. I think I will try that, and see if it works!

But I do think the length really works well for me. I am excited about all of my clothes, actually. I know that my choices aren't perfect, but I can really see the changes that are taking effect. I plan to post a pictodiary, and my husband if game for taking all those pictures! It will be so useful for me, as I learn a lot from pictures. I will be able to see hit or misses with color, and if a certain style didn't work right for me.

Now, let's hope for some good weather! I leave Saturday morning at 11:30. They are calling for a massive snow storm on Friday, ending late into the night. I'm also off Friday, so that I could finish packing, get my nails done, and spend a little time with my daughters. Honestly, if we are going to get 2 foot of snow, I probably won't leave the house! Plan B calls for getting my nails done tomorrow night, and hoping the gel manicure will last well. They do wear like iron, but my nails grow fairly quick.

Now, let's hope for some good weather! I leave Saturday morning at 11:30. They are calling for a massive snow storm on Friday, ending late into the night. I'm also off Friday, so that I could finish packing, get my nails done, and spend a little time with my daughters. Honestly, if we are going to get 2 foot of snow, I probably won't leave the house! Plan B calls for getting my nails done tomorrow night, and hoping the gel manicure will last well. They do wear like iron, but my nails grow fairly quick.

I agree about the outerwear. I was so happy to find that teal parka, even though it has a black lining. The jacket Curt found us looks really nice! Unfortunately for me, it doesn't sound like it would fit my shape. (One of the reviews said it was tight in the bust.) I'm going to stop at Banana Republic next week and see if I can try it in person :)

So excited for you, Laurie!

Hope the weather doesn't cause problems. My Crazy DH has us driving up to Quebec for the Winter Carnival this weekend. Yikes...I'm cold just thinking about it. Think we will be ahead of the storm since we're driving up to Maine tomorrow and then to Quebec on Sat. morning.

Have a great time!

Jane

Oh noes!

My first question is that the length/cut is as good for you as I advised in general?:confused:

Second is that it can be easily fixed in some way, as in my mind it will be so amazing and perfect on you!;)

A general idea/note is that on something like this, you can actually "iron" or just put some weights/books on the part that is not folding right to make it work temporarily.

Not for the long run, but just for a day...

(Secrets from a location set:D)

Curt,

I keep getting funny images when I read your recent posts. This one makes me picture you carrying a "tool kit" containing heavy books to your locations :D

Jane

Wow...I'm thinking of all ya'll today and hoping that ya'll are prepared for whatever weather comes your way. Laurie, I'm seriously hoping that this doesn't negatively impact your vacation plans. I'm so excited to see your Pictodiary! As much as we have seen the planning...there's nothing like seeing the actual event.

The jacket Curt found us looks really nice! Unfortunately for me, it doesn't sound like it would fit my shape. (One of the reviews said it was tight in the bust.) I'm going to stop at Banana Republic next week and see if I can try it in person :)

Please report on how you find this coat. That one comment about the fit also gave me pause. I find orange to be a great neutral for us...I can't believe the wear that I have gotten out of those orange sandals I bought...and I have an orange hoodie that has gotten more use than I would have imagined. In TX, I had such easy access to a mall...here, it would be an effort for me...I'd be interested to know if it would be worth it. I have time though...I would have to wait for a decent sale to get this trench...the 25% right now isn't enough for me...hopefully, I could get it for less...:o

my list today:

stock up on food - check

get gas - check

charge everything - check

get out the batteries and candles - check

stow the car somewhere safe - check

WISH LAURIE BON VOYAGE! CHECK! I hope you get out okay tomorrow, and I hope you have a fabulous cruise! We'll all be thinking of you.

Margaret

Hello ladies! My plan was to leave work early today to get a few things done. When they predicted the snow would hit our area, I decided to take a vacation day so that I could get out and about before the snow would arrive.

I was completely shocked to sign on to Jet Blue, and they had cancelled all flights from 3:00 today until Sunday morning. I immediately got on the phone to reschedule our flight, and they had two seats left for a flight on Sunday morning. When I told the rep we wanted them, they were already gone by the time he tried to book them. We are now driving to Rochester, about an hour and a half away, and flying there on AirTran. At this point they are still expecting their flights to be fine for tomorrow. I think Syracuse jumped the gun a bit, because we are only expected to get 8 inches, and it will be done with by the wee hours of the morning, and our flight was supposed to be at 11:30.

The snow is ending earlier in Rochester, so I feel the flight is safe. My fingers are crossed!

As of right now, we should be okay. I was just looking at the radar for Rochester, and I think the snow will be finishing up later tonight, around 9 or so. They have a webcam at the airport, and they seem to be keeping up pretty well.

My husband keeps wondering if hey will open upp our airport here in Syracuse earlier than planned. There is no way to know, but we are counting on Rochester right now.

I didn't pull a single photo from last month's Vogue. The colors are just not being kind to us EARTH ladies this spring. And why do we have to be subjected to black and white every spring, as though it's something new!?

I did find some pretty things in W, so here they are. The first two are Bottega Veneta, and you can see better photos of them if you Google the Spring 2013 show. The string dress is very interesting:

RedDress.jpg

StringDress.jpg

I love red:

RedCoat.jpg

This is too young for me, but so cute!

LaceShorts.jpg

And now for an affordable option, and who doesn't love new makeup?

LOreal.jpg

I made it! And I'm back! I will be posting pictures soon. My wonderful husband took pictures of every outfit, and I have some great formal pictures. I think that 99% of the colors were right on track, I just need to fine tune the fit of my clothing better. All in all, I can really see where I am heading in the right direction, and it feels good.

Meanwhile, here are a couple of quick photos, since I got the formal night photos on disk.

RFR-130216-BlackCouchF2-1051487_zpsf16d20af.jpg

RFR-130215-BowF2-1049249_zpse066e27c.jpg

RFR-130211-Cent5FwdF1-1005439_zps3642c453.jpg

Don't you think when you wear the right thing, you feel so much more confident? I know I did. I loved the color of both of my formal dresses, and the style. They both need to be taken in a bit at the shoulders, which will really perfect them.

Here are some of my cruise outfits. The first is what I wore to embark. I kept it simple, because we were taking a shuttle and I knew it would be windy.

IMG_1422_zpsd4b3b4aa.jpg

This is the first night of dinner. This dress was literally folded in my suitcase and didn't wrinkle a bit! Very comfy. I liked it a lot, but I'm not sure it's 100%:

IMG_1438_zps80422cc6.jpg

This is the next day, where we were at Cococay. It was windy and started out a bit cool. It warmed up nicely though.

IMG_1444_zps2903abff.jpg

That night was formal night, when I wore the green dress.

The next day was a sea day, and this was my outfit:

IMG_1460_zps9147d644.jpg

I wore this dress to dinner;

IMG_1464_zps149fd80c.jpg

To continue...between loads of laundry...

This is what I wore in St. Thomas. We went on a small tour, and then did some exploring on our own.

IMG_1466_zpsaf7c4d18.jpg

That night for dinner:

IMG_1539_zps386be057.jpg

The next day was Valentine's Day, and we were in St. Maarten. (St. Martin) We took a longer tour and shopped around. These are baggy shorts, and the top seems to need more of a tailored fit. I shortened it and took in the sides, but it still needs to need something.

IMG_1563_zps2bcd08ff.jpg

My dinner dress you've seen before. We were eating at Chops Grille, and I wanted something special. I think it looked better than the picture shows. I was rather bloated towards the end of my cruise for some reason. We were very active and I checked my weight this morning and it's the same as when I left. At least it was bloat and not a weight gain!

IMG_1614_zps9d147961.jpg

I'm posting this in sections, as I had it all done and hit the wrong button earlier. Eeekkk...

This is that champagne shirt I didn't know what to do with. I really do like it. I'm seeing a pattern though overall. loose at the top with elastic waist and a loose bottom don't work well. I think this works to a degree, but because the bottom is a straight skirt. If you compare the outfit to the gold/ivory dress, I think you can see what I'm getting at.

IMG_1620_zps03ff6ad9.jpg

This was the second formal night. I wore the brown dress that night.

Here is the next sea day. I had that great scarf, and left it in the room and totally forgot about it!

IMG_1647_zpse809e05c.jpg

Here is the last night's dress, which was my most casual:

IMG_1692_zps65789b60.jpg

Where was your sunscreen!!! LAURIE!!!!

Now that I have that out of my system...

I totally agree with confidence levels being boosted by feeling like you look your best. :cool:

I LOVE your animal print sandals! LOVE them. Is that Giraffe print? Totally fun. One of my go to shirts has a detailed flat collar like your orange one. Mine is more wooden beads...and a tribal print. That orange one with the beads is a good one. Mine is comfy but makes me feel a bit more put together because it feels like I have an accessory on even though I don't. A good choice for embarking!

I've had brown like that one that you are unsure about. It's just a different enough brown...something in the undertones. I decided mine worked but I just wasn't used to that particular shade of brown. I think yours works too. It blends right into your coloring...even on your arms. You are wearing the dress, not the dress wearing you.

I wish the weather was such that I could be wearing shorts and sleeveless! I can't help myself and I keep looking at the weather in Houston to see if I've just turned into a wimp in my emotional state...but no...it's 14 degrees higher there with 30-40% greater humidity. Mom and Dad always over dress in Houston when it's in the low 70s because they forget how it feels with the much greater humidity.

I digress... But I am longing for my own shorts...

I do like you in a more saturated color than the lighter peach color. It's not bad...but just in general...

That sunburn with the gold dress is not a good look. :mad: I'm channeling my Mom...she would look at me like that. :mad:;) Your nails look great with dress though! What color is on your fingers?