Best way to see the glaciers in Juneau?

Fourseventeen

Going to be there first week in May as part of our 6 day out of Vancouver. I am wanting to see some glaciers and hopefully some wildlife. Been debating to take a heli landing trip to the glacier but they want 1200.00 for the 4 of us to take a 15 min flight with a landing and 20 mins on the glacier. Sounds a little steep BUT I will pay it if thats the best way to see the glaciers. I also hear you can take a cab to the visitors center and walk on the Mendenhall glacier and see waterfalls? If this is true...what did the ride from the ship cost? How much of a hike is it to get to the glaciers and falls? 2 of us are big outdoors people and the other 2 are couch potatoes so I dont think they could handle rugged hiking. I would prefer to be able to walk on the glacier but I wouldnt be opposed to other options that would be the best AWE inspiring way to see them. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Also...how far is the Alaskan Brewing Co from the ship....whats the best way to visit this place?

You can get close to but not walk on the Mendenhall Glacier by taking a $7 (each way) shuttle from the dock (for 4 people, not much more expensive to take a cab). To walk on a glacier, helicopter is the only option that doesn't require hard-core hiking.

What do you feel is the best way to see the glaciers here....by foot, boat or aircraft?

All of the above. Every glacier has a unique personality, and each access method to each glacier has its own advantages and offers a different perspective. If budget isn't a big consideration, the most "wow" method is probably the helicopter glacier hiking offered in Juneau by North Star Trekking - http://www.northstartrekking.com/

We have booked a glacial trek with Northstar while we are in Juneau. It's $400+pp but it's a 5 hour excursion with 2-3 hours on the glacier. To me that's worth so much more the just a quick stop and look around. But we are also active and adventurous people so it was also right up our alley :D

400 pp for a few hours sounds awesome BUT trekking...I assume that means hiking which would be awesome for my wife and I...we would LOVE this but my parents on the otherhand, they dont do "hiking" lol.

There are different levels - the Web site says: "NorthStar offers three different levels of treks to accommodate a broad range of physical abilities and time. The 1-hour Walkabout is the easiest, the 2-hour Trek has a moderate amount of physical activity and the 3-hour X Trek is the most strenuous. All trips are geared to the level of the participants in the group."

Archived