Drop off Charge for car rentals between Mia and FLL?

Cras108er

Is there a drop off charge for rental cars between Mia and FLL airports? If memory serves me well (and that's always questionable these days) when we traveled to Fl before, itseemswe rented a car in Mia and dropped if off in FLL. In fact, it seems like I dropped my wife off at the cruise port, returned the rental car to FLL airport, then caught a cab to the port for less than $10 (for the cab). Does that sound right? Thanks in advance.

Ok, here's the story. Most companies dont charge a drop-off fee but they disguise one via a higher rate than if rented and returned to the same airport (e.g. pickup Miami, return Miami).

That said if you rent at MIA, just go directly to the multi company car rental garage inside the FLL Airport complex. Dont take your wife to the pier first. No need to take a taxi. Why ? Most of the major companies run shuttles from the FLL airport rental car garage to all the ships on sailing days inside Port Everglades which is just 3 miles away.

Worldspan

128 cruises/129th coming April 21 Radiance of the Seas

Alamo and National are the only companies doing the free shuttle from FLL to Port Everglades now. Other companies either tell you to take a cab or I have read reports on here of a couple maybe knocking $15 off the rental to cover the cab fare. Budget, Hertz, Thrifty and Enterprise all have locations near the port entrances (Budget on 17th St, the others on 24th St/SR 84) with cheap or free shuttles. In either case, cabs are cheap enough, so you can shop for the best rental deal, or go with your favourite company.

You can drop off luggage at the pier first if you want, but I would keep the members of your party together. There aren't very good waiting areas outside the terminals at the port, and in most cases, all passengers on a booking need to check in together for the cruise. It can be a quick process returning the car and getting the shuttle back, or you can wait a while if you just missed the shuttle and have to wait for it to come back (even more so if there are several ships in port and the shuttle has to go to all of them).

Archived