How to get to Galveston port from Houston Hobby?

pbrayn

There are several limo/shuttle companies listed on Galveston's tourist web site. You might want to check with those companies.

It is not cheap since it is a long drive, but at least HH is closer than Bush.

We always fly down the day before a cruise to avoid airport scares. I would recommend checking out a one way rental. Be sure and watch to be sure the agency is open in Galveston when you wish to turn the rental in/ and available to rent for return to Hobby, and that any one way surcharge doesn't make it super expensive.. Also, some actually rent a vehicle for a week and park it at EZ Cruise parking so its there for there return to airport.

Some hotels in Galveston provide parking if you pre cruise overnight. I once saw a Marriott property offer transportation to the port as part of a precruise stay, Possibly the Hobby Marriott, not exactly the area of Houston i prefer but an option. Have a blast, we always try out best!

We've used a company called Executive Transportation for round trips on 2 different cruises. This is their website: www.executivetran.com. We had a party of 9, so we needed a large van. The price was $300 round trip from Hobby to the port for private van service. This is expensive, but about half the price RCI would charge for 9 people.

Regarding a one-way car rental, as of March 2010, no rental agency was open on Sunday on Galveston Island.

Edited by clarea

Can anyone give me a clue as to the best and least expensive way to get to Galveston port from Houston Hobby as RCI says they do not have transfers from HH to port?

Check again, if you are coming in on sailing day, Royal Caribbean transfers are $31 each way per person to and from Hobby airport.

Also, if you have a more than two people, "super shuttle" runs from Hobby to Galveston. www.Supershuttle.com or call them.

If you're flying in the day prior, I highly recommend spending your pre-cruise night at Springhill Suites, Hobby Airport. They offer a GREAT cruise passenger package which includes transportation from the airport to the hotel, shuttle service anywhere you want to go within 5 miles of their facility, a great hot breakfast buffet, transportation to the pier the next morning and transportation back to the airport after your cruise. We found the hotel modern and comfortable, the staff incredibly accommodating and the price a lot less costly than the combined cost of all the necessary transportation!

Check again, if you are coming in on sailing day, Royal Caribbean transfers are $31 each way per person to and from Hobby airport.

Also, if you have a more than two people, "super shuttle" runs from Hobby to Galveston. www.Supershuttle.com or call them.

Correct........however, so many of us are afraid of coming in on the day of the cruise, because of the instability of the airlines.

I don't remember the limo service that we used last year, but as I recall, it was about $90.00 round trip for the two of us.

So, stepping back to what RCCL wants, if one is staying somewhere close, but not not where one can walk to catch the RCCL shuttle, then you need to add cab fare on top of that fare.

Also, some years ago, Royal Caribbean lost our luggage (not for good, but it arrived home some 24 hours behind us) we have a tendency to watch our luggage being put in the back of the car, and then watch and pay for the porter to get it headed for the ship.

Maybe this is what 160 plus cruises with many different lines has taught us, but it seems that today, baggage handlers are more careless, even if tipped well.

Which leads me back to the OP's question of "best" and "least expensive", and I don't think that the two are one and the same.

So to wrap this up from my perspective......limo's are cheaper than cabs, and if you are staying overnight.......to catch the shuttle......you must pay to go back to the airport

And the last comment about all of the above.......is that I hate to stand around and wait. I did it in the Army, and I'm not going to do it for RCCL.

So, I'll pay to have a company deliver me to the port at Galveston, for the same or less per person than Royal Caribbean wants with the big bus.

Take your time to look up all of the executive cars that have special rates to and from Galveston.

Rick

Hopped in a cab from Hobby to the port in January. All said and done with tip was $85. Not cheap, but got there straight away and didn't have to plan ahead.

Paid for the Royal Caribbean Shuttle on board to get back to Hobby. Believe it was $31 pp. Cheaper but you have to wait until the bus fills up and THEY decide when to leave for the airport. Plenty of people on the bus were worried about missing their flights.

If I go a day early to make sure I get there on time, I stay at an airport hotel with a free shuttle. The next morning I take the shuttle back to the airport around 9 and take the RCCL bus to the port. You can just show up or make reservations thru RCCL. Just give them a flight number that arrives around the time you want to leave for the port. I think the first bus leaves around 10:30, but it may be full if you don't get there around 9.:00.

If you're flying in the day prior, I highly recommend spending your pre-cruise night at Springhill Suites, Hobby Airport. They offer a GREAT cruise passenger package which includes transportation from the airport to the hotel, shuttle service anywhere you want to go within 5 miles of their facility, a great hot breakfast buffet, transportation to the pier the next morning and transportation back to the airport after your cruise. We found the hotel modern and comfortable, the staff incredibly accommodating and the price a lot less costly than the combined cost of all the necessary transportation!

Thanks for this, I was not aware that this was available. Do you recall approx how much hotel charged for this package?

Bob

Weve talked to 2 different people at RC and both said RC doesnt have transportation from Hobby so $31 which is what I was looking for isnt available to us. Cant rent a car, closed on Sunday so looks like cab or private shuttle is whats left. Its a transatlantic so just need one way. Gonna have to eat the $85 I guess. Wont be going out of Galveston again. Thanks for all the info everyone.:)

• 8 months later...

I just read your post (below) and I think you have a wonderful idea. Can you please tell me which hotel you stay in at Hobby airport?

If I go a day early to make sure I get there on time, I stay at an airport hotel with a free shuttle. The next morning I take the shuttle back to the airport around 9 and take the RCCL bus to the port. You can just show up or make reservations thru RCCL. Just give them a flight number that arrives around the time you want to leave for the port. I think the first bus leaves around 10:30, but it may be full if you don't get there around 9.:00.

We just flew in today and are staying on Seawall Blvd. We had a group of 6 and limos were very expensive for more than 5 so we did Super Shuttle for $107 flat rate, plus tip. Very happy with it. It was a van and not a town car, but it was comfortable, clean and the driver was very nice. Easy transfer.

• 5 years later...

we are taking the Freedom out of Galveston in August. We want to arrive in Galveston on Friday for the Sunday cruise. Want to go visit the Museums in town, especially the one with the Port of Entry data for genealogy research. Looking to get from either airport to Galveston and looking for a hotel somewhere near the cruise terminal that will not cost 300+ a night. Any suggestions on getting to Galveston and hotel to stay at?\

thanks

we are taking the Freedom out of Galveston in August. We want to arrive in Galveston on Friday for the Sunday cruise. Want to go visit the Museums in town, especially the one with the Port of Entry data for genealogy research. Looking to get from either airport to Galveston and looking for a hotel somewhere near the cruise terminal that will not cost 300+ a night. Any suggestions on getting to Galveston and hotel to stay at?\

thanks

For more ancestry research

Go to Galveston Rosenberg Library Historical 4th Floor , Galveston Historical Foundation, county Clerks office , Galveston JP Bryan Historical Museum , Clayton Library Houston.

Only two hotels next to port are Harbor House and Tremont House . Others are two miles to five miles away.