Confused about cruise cards with P&O

Jo and Rob

On our cruises with other lines we have always had one card which did everything (getting into our room, on and off the ship, paying for drinks/excursions). I read on another thread that you leave your cruise card in the cabin on the last day and there are two cards. Please can someone explain the system on P&O please?

There is one cruise card for charging and for security on and off the ship and one card for the door lock on your cabin, which is the one you leave behind in the cabin on your last day.

I believe, however, that Azura has the one card that does all.

Brian

They give you a wallet to keep both in.

I suppose the advantage is that if you lose your key card, there's no identifying marks on it at all, so no-one can use it to get access to your cabin. And the other card, with your name and address, doesn't give access.

Though if you keep them in the wallet and lose both together, that's no advantage really. :)

Hi,

Just to add, on Aurora last November they had just started using one card for security, purchases and accessing the cabin. The flaw was that a number of these cards were being wiped of the required information to allow passengers access to their cabins meaning they had to go back to reception to get the cards reactivated.

Also, on Azura the card is also supposed to be used to activate all the power in the cabin including the lights, by being put into the slot in the cabin. A tip for passengers on Azura - any credit card sized card will do the same job - a great use for one of those store cards or loyalty cards you keep tucked in your wallet.

Feebee_71

Hi,

Also, on Azura the card is also supposed to be used to activate all the power in the cabin including the lights, by being put into the slot in the cabin. A tip for passengers on Azura - any credit card sized card will do the same job - a great use for one of those store cards or loyalty cards you keep tucked in your wallet.

Feebee_71

Lots of hotels have the same system and we do the same, just use a loyalty card with no value.

I take it that P&O passengers don't have lanyards? We don't use them, although the children got them free at the kids club on Indy and enjoyed wearing them.

Lots of hotels have the same system and we do the same, just use a loyalty card with no value.

I take it that P&O passengers don't have lanyards? We don't use them, although the children got them free at the kids club on Indy and enjoyed wearing them.

The only problem I found with the Lanyard's (on Indy) was that even with the hole punched right at the edge you couldn't insert the card fully into the cabin door to open it! so ended up having to unclip it!!

Also note that if you do NOT leave a card in the power slot then anything left on charge (camera, phone etc) will NOT be charging!!

Also note that if you do NOT leave a card in the power slot then anything left on charge (camera, phone etc) will NOT be charging!!

This is not stricktly true, on Ventura and Azura there is a socket that is always on, this does have a label on it saying so. Just remember that if you are recharging anything put the plug in this socket when you leave your cabin.

Also P&O will take your card away fromj you when you leave the cruise so you can not hold on to it for keep sake.

Also last cruise on Azura we did not get the plastic wallets for your cruise card, told that this is another way of saving some money.

This is not stricktly true, on Ventura and Azura there is a socket that is always on, this does have a label on it saying so. Just remember that if you are recharging anything put the plug in this socket when you leave your cabin.

Maybe they have changed it then or at least labelled it now as that was not the case on the Ventura Pre-Maiden cruise or on Queen Elizabeth for that matter.

A few comments',

Just back from Azura where you get one card for purchases, door key and for access to the ship.

The card used to advise make up room/do not disturb can be used to keep the power on.

You dont get a card wallet any more (P&O cutbacks :))

In short I found Azura to be a wonderful ship and I will do a review shortly.

A few comments',

Just back from Azura where you get one card for purchases, door key and for access to the ship.

The card used to advise make up room/do not disturb can be used to keep the power on.

Looking forward to your review Somerset Cruiser.

Have you got the post cruise blues? :(

A few comments',

Did you get to keep the card at the end of the cruise?

Or do what we did and say you have packed your card in your suitcase and they print you a new one ;)

Just got back from Azura yesterday :(

I feel your pain - for which we all know, there is only one cure :(

Did you have a great time? What did you think of Azura?

I feel your pain - for which we all know, there is only one cure :(

Did you have a great time? What did you think of Azura?

Bit of a mixed bag really. As Somersett Cruiser is doing a review, I'll make my comments in that thread.

If that's the case, I wonder why they still use them on Ventura? We just got back last week, and they are still using the card wallets on that ship.

NakedBeancounter,

It could be that they have a couple of boxes of plastic wallets onboard and, when they are finished they won't order any more. Or you were just lucky.

We had them on Artemis in December but they have different door access cards - looks like a punched time card and is a manual access system rather than digital - they are also longer than the cruise cards so the wallets are also longer. Only problem was there were 3 of us in the cabin but only 2 cabin key cards.

Feebee_71

Hi,

Just to add, on Aurora last November they had just started using one card for security, purchases and accessing the cabin.

Feebee_71

We were on Aurora in Nov for the Canary cruise and had two cards. However, halfway through we had to change the doorlock card as they were upgrading the locks, but still had two cards. I guess you must have been on the following 2 day cruise at the end of November when this was fully implemented.

Brian

Bit of a mixed bag really. As Somersett Cruiser is doing a review, I'll make my comments in that thread.

No pressure then :)

There will be few negatives in my review, little to grumble about and generally impressed with Azura.

We did witness what we consider to be an early contender for 'Complaint of the Year'. A man and his wife went to reception as the flag at the aft of Azura was wrapped around the pole. They demanded that this was corrected and when told that no-one was available they said there must be someone on the bridge with authority. We were on the aft deck as they told this story and had their camera ready to record a properly flying flag.

As they say, you couldn't make it up!

Our cabin steward showed us that the ' please make up this cabin' card worked in the light switch... ( Azura)

I am always packing my cruise cards on the last night so have a selection of them still to this day.. but you should hand them in as you disembark.

We were on Aurora in Nov for the Canary cruise and had two cards. However, halfway through we had to change the doorlock card as they were upgrading the locks, but still had two cards. I guess you must have been on the following 2 day cruise at the end of November when this was fully implemented.

Brian

Hi Brian,

You are right, I was on the 2 nighter and we had the single card.

The only problem with it was that the cards kept getting de-activated for the cabin doors meaning you had to either call reception to get someone up to open the cabin door (and then later go down to reception to get the card re-activated) or go down and get the card re-activated before being able to get into the cabin. The first time it happened was ok, when it happened for a 4th time on the first night onboard, I was less impressed!!

Also, with the new system they can't give you separate key card and cruise card. Nor can you get extra door key cards - say if there are a group covering more than one cabin.

Feebee_71

Archived