Safety

Sandoo

Just wondering how safe is it to take a taxi from the port to the beach? How do you know that your taxi driver is really a taxi driver and not someone who is going to kidnap you? Are there certain taxis that we should be looking for (certain color, etc.) Some of you may think that this is a dumb concern, but with all that is going on in Mexico, you have to question it. The police are not necessarily the police and military is not necessarily the military. Used to go to Playa Del Carmen once a year, but not anymore. The resorts are safe, but necessarily getting there on the highway is safe. Would like any feedback.

check all traffic entering,,,at least they did in Dec..inc.buses and taxis,,,so anyone getting thru must have proper ID....we took ships tour..but others took taxis,,,and said felt safe and no problem....can check with ship for guidelines,,but felt safe,,,so try not to worry,,,they rely on tourists and seem to try and keep them safe,,,have fun...;)

Just wondering how safe is it to take a taxi from the port to the beach? How do you know that your taxi driver is really a taxi driver and not someone who is going to kidnap you? Are there certain taxis that we should be looking for (certain color, etc.) Some of you may think that this is a dumb concern, but with all that is going on in Mexico, you have to question it. The police are not necessarily the police and military is not necessarily the military. Used to go to Playa Del Carmen once a year, but not anymore. The resorts are safe, but necessarily getting there on the highway is safe. Would like any feedback.

We have in the past and still do visit PDC, so I'm not sure what incident there has heightened your fear. If concern about violence 500 miles away or more from Costa Maya has you worrried, then by all means stay in your comfort zone.

We have in the past and still do visit PDC, so I'm not sure what incident there has heightened your fear. If concern about violence 500 miles away or more from Costa Maya has you worrried, then by all means stay in your comfort zone.

Snorkel2Much, I see that you live in Orlando. Well, I live in Texas and have friends who live along the border as well as in Monterrey. You can not live here and not know what is going on in Mexico and it isn't only on the border. I also have been part of roadblocks in Playa Del Carmen (which is why I don't go there anymore). Americans are targeted. The concern is legit. Your attitude was totally not needed.

I believe what Snorkel2Much was trying to point out it that Mexico is big, so problems on the borders do not necessarily mean there are problems everywhere. For example, there are problems on the border in Texas - doesn't mean you should avoid Florida, even though they are both the same country.

I believe what Snorkel2Much was trying to point out it that Mexico is big, so problems on the borders do not necessarily mean there are problems everywhere. For example, there are problems on the border in Texas - doesn't mean you should avoid Florida, even though they are both the same country.

You are correct in saying that Mexico is a large country, but you can't compare the problems there and say that just because there are problems along the Texas border, you wouldn't avoid Florida. The facts are that the problem is nationwide not only along the border. Most Americans do not hear about them in their papers. You do here and I also have relatives in the interior of the country. Universities have given warnings to the students about spring break in Mexico. I wish I was making it up. So, if I asked a question, it was legit. I do not need to hear about my safety zone. As a matter of fact, I am not doing a shore excursion, but am going into the town on my own. Pez Quadro Beach Club hear we come!!!!

Sandoo --

We have been to Costa Maya 5 times, Playa del Carmen 2 times, Puerto Morales 1 time, Cozumel 4 times and Cancun 1 time. All have either been on a cruise or a land vacation.

We have never, let me repeat, never felt unsafe, threatened or concerned. We have used taxis, rented cars, used tours. We have used the ferry from Coz to PDC and from CUN to Isla Mujeres. Rented a golf cart there and drove around the entire island.

We live in Georgia and I feel safer in our travels to the Yucatan than I would in parts of Atlanta, Savannah, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

Sandoo --

We have been to Costa Maya 5 times, Playa del Carmen 2 times, Puerto Morales 1 time, Cozumel 4 times and Cancun 1 time. All have either been on a cruise or a land vacation.

We have never, let me repeat, never felt unsafe, threatened or concerned. We have used taxis, rented cars, used tours. We have used the ferry from Coz to PDC and from CUN to Isla Mujeres. Rented a golf cart there and drove around the entire island.

We live in Georgia and I feel safer in our travels to the Yucatan than I would in parts of Atlanta, Savannah, etc.

Enjoy your trip.

We too have been to the Yucatan many times. We first started going in 1986 to Cancun (been there twice) before any resorts were built in PDC. We've been to Coz twice on cruises. When in Coz, did my own thing. Went everywhere on my own and even sent my teenage son scuba diving by himself. We've been to resorts south of Playa 4 times. The last time was Christmas 2008. Up until then, I too argued that the Yucatan does not play into the Cartel problems that we see next to the Texas border. During the hour long ride to the resort from the airport and then back again to the airport we were stopped not once, but twice by the Mexican military (at least we hope that it was). We were told by both drivers that they were checkpoints looking for members of the Cartel coming to Playa to spend their Christmas vacation. During that vacation, we sent my son and his friends on a fishing trip and we crossed over to Coz. I am fluent in Spanish and know my way around Mexico. i've been going since I was 1 into the interior of Mexico. At one point, one has to admit that there is a problem and you have to be cautious. We won't go back to Playa at this time. I spoke to a local physician who used to vacation at the iberostar resorts and he said the same. It's a sentiment that many of us Texans agree on. It was one of the best vacations in the world for us. Not expensive and very close. i do not believe that Costa Maya has the same issues because of the lack of mansions, no big resorts and the proximity to the border with Belize. This post started with a simple question about taxis. It was a legitimate question. I never intended it to become a political problem or one where I'm being told to stay in my comfort zone. You are speaking to someone who has been to israel 14 times, even during an Intifada. i just know when to ask questions and be cautious.

We too have been to the Yucatan many times. We first started going in 1986 to Cancun (been there twice) before any resorts were built in PDC. We've been to Coz twice on cruises. When in Coz, did my own thing. Went everywhere on my own and even sent my teenage son scuba diving by himself. We've been to resorts south of Playa 4 times. The last time was Christmas 2008. Up until then, I too argued that the Yucatan does not play into the Cartel problems that we see next to the Texas border. During the hour long ride to the resort from the airport and then back again to the airport we were stopped not once, but twice by the Mexican military (at least we hope that it was). We were told by both drivers that they were checkpoints looking for members of the Cartel coming to Playa to spend their Christmas vacation. During that vacation, we sent my son and his friends on a fishing trip and we crossed over to Coz. I am fluent in Spanish and know my way around Mexico. i've been going since I was 1 into the interior of Mexico. At one point, one has to admit that there is a problem and you have to be cautious. We won't go back to Playa at this time. I spoke to a local physician who used to vacation at the iberostar resorts and he said the same. It's a sentiment that many of us Texans agree on. It was one of the best vacations in the world for us. Not expensive and very close. i do not believe that Costa Maya has the same issues because of the lack of mansions, no big resorts and the proximity to the border with Belize. This post started with a simple question about taxis. It was a legitimate question. I never intended it to become a political problem or one where I'm being told to stay in my comfort zone. You are speaking to someone who has been to israel 14 times, even during an Intifada. i just know when to ask questions and be cautious.

Being advised to stay in your comfort zone is not an insult, unless you want it to be one. I meant no disrespect, but you certainly saw it that way. I don't see the existence of an armed checkpoint as a problem, therefore it's in my comfort zone. There are some establishments in PDC that I avoid, just as there are in nearly any city. There is a security checkpoint entering/leaving the Costa Maya port area, if checkpoints are not within your comfort zone, then you should know it is there. If you dont want advice, don't ask for it. IMO "How safe are the taxi's in xxxx Mexico" is not a "simple" question.

We were in Costa Maya 3 weeks ago, on the Allure. When we walked through the port, we followed the signs for the taxis which led us to an area where we purchased 2 tickets to Majahual (the beach area). We thought the passes were for a taxi but we were directed to a bus.(the taxis are available outside of the cruise terminal gates if you prefer a taxi...at least that was the system when we were there) The bus took us to the beach, and at the 2nd stop(in front of a police station) a man entered the bus and told us that this was the final stop and we must exit the bus. Several passengers who were familiar with the area, expressed that they wished to travel a few more blocks to their destination(a restaurant called 40 cannons). The man who boarded our bus was pretty insistent, and based on my limited but functional understanding of Spanish, I got the impression that he was the proprietor of the beach club at that stop... so in Spanish, I politely asked him to allow the busdriver to finish his route, and ultimately he exited and we did proceed. In retrospect, we really could have exited safely at any stop on the bus route, as the beach area is only about 6 blocks long...I never felt unsafe, but if you are not familiar with the area...they were hit pretty hard by a hurricane, and there are very depressed areas. We did see armed military in several areas on the way to and from the beach, but I never felt unsafe. When returning from beach, the wonderful staff at the Tropicante where we spent the day secured us a Taxi and we returned safely to the port area. The taxis were not permitted through the cruise gate area, but dropped us just outside the gates (about 2-3 blocks away in an area with stores, bars, the Hardrock cafe, etc). We actually really enjoyed our day in Costa Maya. Steve from Tropicante is a Dallas native and now runs this great beach bar and restaurant. There are many others as well along the Malecon in Mahajual. I was also a bit nervous about Mexican ports, but felt Costa Maya was safe and the people we met there(especially Jorge from Tropicante) were lovely!

I never intended it to become a political problem or one where I'm being told to stay in my comfort zone.

I didn't mention politics, nor did I say anything about your 'comfort zone.'

Just commenting on our personal experiences. :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I believe Mahahual is safe! I've been traveling in and out of the Yucatan area, including Belize for the past 11 years, I even own land in Mahahual.

As a single white female (and cruiser), I fly into one of the large airports, then catch a bus or rent a car and drive to the Mahahual area. I just returned from there last month. Since my plane was late, I had to stay in the PDC bus depot with my luggage until the bus left at 12:30am. I've never had a problem! When I get on a bus in MX, I don't feel like I'm being "assessed" or sized up like I would on a U.S. bus. I took a bus several years ago when my car was in the shop, and felt like it was full of longtime criminals. Belize is even worse; I dress like a bum to deter robbery.

I feel safer in MX than in the southwest US, where I now carry a gun while I'm driving in case the drug runners or people smugglers try to car jack or kidnap me near the border. There are a lot of bad things going on in CA, AZ & TX....

Back to topic:

-The taxis are in a union and have special licenses. It would be difficult to specifically target tourists, since the same taxi drivers are there everyday and all know each other. I could possibly see what you suggested, like faking a cab, police car or border patrol truck in a large drug cartel city, but not in this small town.

-There has always been a Navy post in Mahahual. It was there before the cruise ship port was built. There is also a Naval Station in the capital of Chetumal, a couple hours away. Its the armed forces job to patrol such areas, and large cargo ships; it does not indicate any problems. (Remember though, there were battles between the Spanish and Mayans, as well as pirates, for centuries.)

-The casitas are not as pretty since the hurricane. They could still use some work.

-The port is only a place for the large ships to dock, and storefronts. The port owner wants to keep you in so you will only shop in his rented out stores, it's not a safety issue. His walls are actually illegal and will eventually come down. Look at all the posts regarding Chac-Chi resort to the north. He was trying to prevent cruisers from spending their $ there, not keep them in for their safety.

-The port is not a village, or a town, the real town is south east of the casitas, and the fishermans dock is at the southern end of town.

We've been to Costa Maya and Mahahual 5 times in 3 years. Mahahual is like an extreme southern version of Mayberry, RFD. It's a little hard to understand folks(like Gomer), but everyone is laid back, welcoming and accomidating. I'm sure Aunt Bea's twin is somewhere around baking a nice pie.

Town only exists 2 or 3 short blocks from the beach, with one road going north the other south, that eventually becomes a single road. Getting a cab back to the ship is easy and cheap. Don't be shy about asking what exactly you are getting for your money, ie beach chairs, beer, food?

The only negatives I read is when someone thinks they're getting all this included, but it turns out you feel jipped. Just ask questions, here and when you go.

Safety wise, there are many places in SW Florida I try not to drive though, even during the day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was recently in Costa Maya on my cruise this week and I honestly did not care for Costa Maya at all. The appearance beyond the port area was terrible.

We went to Maya Chan which was gorgeous and totally made me feel a lot more at ease. But the small city before there, Is that Mahajual? That is not a place I would be walking around without bodyguards. It looked terrible.

This a safe place to go. It does not have the troubles that North Mexico is having. Have walked the 30 minutes to the fishing village (mahahual) and never had any issues. Last year, I did take the taxi as it was $3 pp each way, a lot better than walking in the heat.

Go to the "Tapas Bar" as it is a good location. They offer excellent food and mojito's. This is a place right out of the Corona commercials.

Enjoy

was there just last Tuesday. Perfectly safe, we took a cab to the beach and spent the day on the beach sitting under a thatch hut eating and drinking in front of the Green Iguana. Now when you walk, at least every 5 feet on the beach there is someone wanting to sell you something or wanting you to use "their" beach restaurant. That got kind of annoying, but never felt unsafe. Then had lunch at 100% Aguave and it was WONDERFUL, was one of our favorite stops!

Archived