Cruising Solo advice

Jeremyd

I am certainly going to have fun and enjoy myself. I am just a little shy and backwards when I am around people I do not know. I cruised with a group last year on a Royal Caribbean ship, they had a single's meet and greet type of thing. Do Carnival ships have anything like that?

Usually. I have never attended one. I am typically shy too, when at home. Something about the sea air/vacation mentality, and I tend to be more outgoing. I enjoy meeting new people, from different places. Maybe that helps. Be open, smile, and don't be afraid to have fun. I have had more people (of all ages, gender, nationality, marital status) sit beside me and strike up a conversation onboard ship than anywhere else.

Jeremy, I'm also a solo cruiser. I'm sure you'll enjoy your cruise on the Holiday. There is a singles meet-and-greet, and it's usually held on the second night on board. I have never attended, but I understand it's a nice way to meet new folks. I'm not at all shy, but I cruise for relaxation, not to meet people; however, I always try to get a large table for dinner, and I enjoy my tablemates. The more people at the table, the better the conversation, I think. I may talk with a few folks in a lounge while I have my nightcap. Other than that, I like spending my time lazing the days away on deck with a good book and nice adult beverage.:)

When in port, I grab a cab and go wherever I want, as I never take the ship's excursions. You might rather go on one of the excursions? Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful cruise. Don't worry about being 'alone' - you can always find somebody to chat with.

Do you guys have any tips on bringing the cost down? From what I've researched, an individual in a room pays about what a "double" room would.

Several things:

...Your 1a cabin [the one with the bunk beds] has a 50% "single suppliment". The rest are 200% p/p cost

...Consider joining an established "group cruise". Costs often lower since they get access to cabins in bulk. You don't have to take part in any of the group's activities

...There are certain times of the year that are traditionally less expensive [mid Jan-Feb, October]

...Consider a "repositioning cruise". Cruises that begin in one port and end in another (such as the cruise sending a ship to Vancouver for Alaska cruises after spending the winter in the Caribbean).

For my past five cruises, I have paid the 150% single supplement rate, which is the rate for a 1A cabin. Any cabin above the 1A category is 200%. (Which I think is awful!) However, my PVP has always managed to get me into a 5A with porthole or two portholes, for the same 150% rate, although anything above 1A is advertised as being 200%.

From Carnival:

"Special single guest program: Guests requesting a single-occupancy stateroom may purchase the category requested from 150% to 200% of the double-occupancy rate, subject to availability."

Several things:

...Your 1a cabin [the one with the bunk beds] has a 50% "single suppliment". The rest are 200% p/p cost

...Consider joining an established "group cruise". Costs often lower since they get access to cabins in bulk. You don't have to take part in any of the group's activities

...There are certain times of the year that are traditionally less expensive [mid Jan-Feb, October]

...Consider a "repositioning cruise". Cruises that begin in one port and end in another (such as the cruise sending a ship to Vancouver for Alaska cruises after spending the winter in the Caribbean).

Dom and I are booked for this cruise, and were hoping that my brother would join in. I appreciate all of your kind suggestions.

Jeremyd-I would suggest doing a Carnival excursion if you're interested in meeting people. I found on the two cruises I did excursions, we always met up with folks that we spent more time with once back onboard. The excursions just seem to be a good, relaxed atmosphere for folks to begin talking about what they're encountering, seeing, experiencing, etc. Cotton's suggestion of a large dining table assignment is an excellent suggestion, too, since conversation is commonly made at dinner about the activities of the day, excursions, etc. Carnival seems to place people in dining assignments with similarities such as solo cruisers, age range, etc. Enjoy your cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm cruising solo this time, i paid 476 total for a 4 day to baja in may, its the 1A bunk beds... Not too bad i think... I went to the travelocity site and looked for the identical cruise in december, and the rates are great, i think i'm gonna book another one then

• 2 weeks later...

New Information, i took a peek at carnivals site, for the same cruise itinerary, the cruise went down by $75.00 in price... I called Carnival back up, told them that, asked politely if there was someway i could get the lower price after i had paid in full already... They did it, as a shipboard credit.. Moral of the story, whether you just paid a deposit, or paid in full like i did, ALWAYS CHECK down the line and keep looking and see if your EXACT cruise fare goes down any, and if it does, call carnival or if you booked thru a travel agent if they can give you that lower price, usually they do

New Information, i took a peek at carnivals site, for the same cruise itinerary, the cruise went down by $75.00 in price... I called Carnival back up, told them that, asked politely if there was someway i could get the lower price after i had paid in full already... They did it, as a shipboard credit.. Moral of the story, whether you just paid a deposit, or paid in full like i did, ALWAYS CHECK down the line and keep looking and see if your EXACT cruise fare goes down any, and if it does, call carnival or if you booked thru a travel agent if they can give you that lower price, usually they do

I've been checking prices on Carvival's April 30th cruise on Triumph since I first booked last September. There haven't been any 1A cabins shown as available (at any price) for months. I get the feeling this ship may very well be full.

Have Done Both Solo And Group. Like Both. Cruise Frequently And Last Min. Usually Alone. Make Sure To Get Out Of Your Room And Go To Dinner. Assigned Seating Makes You Have To Talk With Your Table Mates. Don't Like What You See, Ask For A Different Table The Next Night. Excursions, You Will Meet People That Like What You Like (snorkling, Scuba, Fishing Ect.) Everybody Has A Different Story. Keep The Good Attitute, Meals With Others, Buy Someone A Drink. Don't Be Afraid. If You Don't Like What You See, Move On And Have Fun

My first cruise ever, and also solo, was on the Holiday. It is a great ship to do solo. I met a couple while waiting during embarkation and ended up doing some stuff with them. Also, on a ship the size of the Holiday it is easy to figure out who else is solo and meet/hang out with them. I was seated at a table of 10 for dinner who were in similar situations - mom/adult daughter, dad/adult son, young unmarried couple, etc.

During embarkation it felt a little like everyone in the world was with someone but me, but once on the ship, people kind of do their own thing so it wasn't odd or uncomfortable to be solo. Just be friendly and you will meet people.

I had a fabulous time on the Holiday and it was the ship and the experience that got me hooked on cruising! Hope you have as great a time!

Archived