Tampa Carnival embark / disembark / hotel

sharp_cruiser

Hi,

I have been reading through the threads here so I don't have 20 questions (more like 18 now...) But I just want some clarification:

1) I didn't want to fly in the night before, but now I'm paranoid...so we'll go the night before. Where to stay? I've seen lots of hotel names on here and I'll look into those. Looks like the Chase Suites seems good for their shuttle service.

Any others with easy shuttle service but with a lower cost?

2) I understand we can't bring liquor on board... what about pop, juice, etc?

3) What is the earliest flight home I should book? We should arrive in Tampa at 8 am, so I don't know what that means as far as when I can get off the ship. I heard about some program where I can pay to have my bags sent right to the airlines? I'd love to do that. There is an 11:51 am flight and a 2 pm flight. Of course I'd like more cushion, however I will have a toddler with me and I don't relish the thought of killing 2 hours in an airport!!!

4) One final time... I should NOT chance a flight the same day as departure, even if it is supposed to arrive at 11 am? (Detroit to Tampa, November).

Thanks for the help!!!

Hi,

I have been reading through the threads here so I don't have 20 questions (more like 18 now...) But I just want some clarification:

1) I didn't want to fly in the night before, but now I'm paranoid...so we'll go the night before. Where to stay? I've seen lots of hotel names on here and I'll look into those. Looks like the Chase Suites seems good for their shuttle service.

Any others with easy shuttle service but with a lower cost?

2) I understand we can't bring liquor on board... what about pop, juice, etc?

3) What is the earliest flight home I should book? We should arrive in Tampa at 8 am, so I don't know what that means as far as when I can get off the ship. I heard about some program where I can pay to have my bags sent right to the airlines? I'd love to do that. There is an 11:51 am flight and a 2 pm flight. Of course I'd like more cushion, however I will have a toddler with me and I don't relish the thought of killing 2 hours in an airport!!!

4) One final time... I should NOT chance a flight the same day as departure, even if it is supposed to arrive at 11 am? (Detroit to Tampa, November).

Thanks for the help!!!

Can't give advice on hotels with shuttles. We are going on Legend in June and are renting a car, staying in Clearwater because of the awesome beach. Hampton Inn Clearwater Downtown for $80 / night including tax (not on the beach because we are too frugal for that).

Pop, juice are ok, I think you have to carry it on and not have it in your checked luggage onto the ship. You could check the FAQ on Carnival's website (if you're going on Carnival?)

Carnival says no flights before noon, but I would take the 11:51 flight.

Do you have trip insurance? I read someplace that the insurance through Carnival is now covering flights not booked through them. Not sure about the details on this. Is your flight direct or connecting? If direct, check with the airline to find out their on-time percentage for this route. We always fly in the day before but you might be ok with the same day. . . it is a bit of a risk but that is a call you'll have to make.

Happy cruising,

Holiday Inn Rocky Point, Hampton Inn RP, and Chase suites are basically right next door to each other. It is a very nice area with the Bahama Breeze withing walking distance. There is a small neighborhood market located in the Post Rocky Point Apt and Condos which is almost across the street from the hotels and within walking distance. I'm not sure about the Chase or Hampton but the Holiday Inn offered transportation back from the port once the cruise was over. This is a savings of $25, which is what the cab fare is from port to airport.

For the Legend, you can carry on one bottle of wine per person as well as a 12pk of non-alcoholic beverage per person. ie: water, juice or pop etc.... It must be in your carry on and not in your checked luggage.

I thought that Carnival had 11:30 as the earliest return flight. Anyway, you should be fine with 11:50. We were zone 11 on the Legend and off the ship and to the airport by 10:40 am. Our flt was not until 2:15 so we didn't have to worry about rushing off the ship but when you get on the ship, go to guest services and tell them that you have an early flight and they will assign you an early zone number.

*** just a thought on flying in the same day. That is totally up to you and I understand that it could save up to $100 or more by not having to get a hotel the night before. If you had an early and direct flt from Detroit, with time to spare, I might consider it. I would also check to see if there were any other later flts available in case of a cancellation or missed flight or what not. This way you would have a back-up to get to Tampa earlier enough to make the sailing. We fly from Indy and are cruising in late Nov. We decided to get the pre-cruise hotel and are going to book early to get a good price. For our last cruise, Oct 2010 out of Tampa, we stayed at the Holiday Inn RP and paid $99 for the cruise pkg. We requestd a King bed but others on our Roll Call that had a room with 2 queens only pd $84, we all booked very early in the year to get these cheap rates. I also called the hotel direct. The cruise pkg incl, airport shuttle, free breakfast and shuttle to and from the port. They will also shuttle you anywhere within a 4 mile radius for free. It was very much worth the $99. We had dinner at the Bahama Breeze next door and it was very good. There was a long wait but they told us next time just to call from our hotel room and have our name added to the waiting list. Just a tip for you there. They also have a children's menu. http://www.bahamabreeze.com You can also order Pizza delivery to the hotel, some on our RC that had children that wanted to have extra pool time did this. The front desk had an entire file of restaurants that delivered to the hotel. So another tip too.

Have a great time.

The LaQuinta Tampa Airport has some pretty good rates too. It is in a very nice, safe area with an IHOP adjacent to the hotel and many others within walking distance. There is a port shuttle, but I believe there is a small fee and not sure about pick up from the port. Thy also offer a free breakfast with your stay. I only mention this hotel because you may get a really good price and the fee for the shuttle and a taxi back to the airport may equel out to some of the pricier cruise pkg hotels in the area. http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ597&propId=597

Thanks for this input. I think there are multiple flights that day DET to TPA, but I don't trust those darn airlines one bit. Almost every flight I have been on in the past couple years has had some problem. Plus, I would like to really have my luggage and they seem to have a hard time making sure my luggage is in the plane that I am in...

We will look into those hotels for pre-cruise stay. I've heard that hotel shuttles don't need a carseat... is that true?

Thanks for this input. I think there are multiple flights that day DET to TPA, but I don't trust those darn airlines one bit. Almost every flight I have been on in the past couple years has had some problem. Plus, I would like to really have my luggage and they seem to have a hard time making sure my luggage is in the plane that I am in...

We will look into those hotels for pre-cruise stay. I've heard that hotel shuttles don't need a carseat... is that true?

I'm not sure, sorry. When we used the shuttle, we had no small children but you could call the hotel; with the number of cruise packages and tourists that these hotels have they just may have car seats on hand. The HI shuttle had several rows of bench type seats that would hold 3 to a seat. It would accomodate a car seat very well. I totally understand you concern there and would want a carseat as well. Good luck to you. :)

One more thing that I thought to mention, if you have a wait before you flight, TPA airport has very nice childrens/toddler play areas in all of their airside waiting areas. They are more geared for toddlers and have the Playschool plastic slides and other things to play and climb on. The area is very clean and the equipment and play toys seem to be in really good shape.

Hi,

Any others with easy shuttle service but with a lower cost? Do not get hung up on "free shuttles." A taxi from TPA to the port is only $25 for the cab and will be less from many Tampa area hotels. We're flying in late the night before our next cruise and chose the Springhill Suites (using Marriott points) in the TPA/Westshore area - lots of other hotels in the same area, along with shopping and dining options nearby.

2) I understand we can't bring liquor on board... what about pop, juice, etc? Policies vary by cruiseline; Carnival allows one 750 ML bottle of wine per adult (21+) passenger and a 12-pack of water or sodas in your carry on. Check with your cruiseline for their policies.

3) What is the earliest flight home I should book? We should arrive in Tampa at 8 am, so I don't know what that means as far as when I can get off the ship. I heard about some program where I can pay to have my bags sent right to the airlines? I'd love to do that. There is an 11:51 am flight and a 2 pm flight. Of course I'd like more cushion, however I will have a toddler with me and I don't relish the thought of killing 2 hours in an airport!!! Port to TPA is about a 15 minute cab ride - you should be fine with the 11:51 flight.

4) One final time... I should NOT chance a flight the same day as departure, even if it is supposed to arrive at 11 am? (Detroit to Tampa, November). And if there is a delay due to weather? Mechanical issues? Air traffic control issues? The smart cruiser ALWAYS FLIES IN THE DAY BEFORE! :cool:

Thanks for the help!!!

Have a good cruise! :)

We won Courtyard Inn by Marriott Downtown Tampa, on Priceline, in December for $60 for 4 of us. Very nice place. Free shuttle to port and anywhere within so many miles (4 maybe??)

Plan on booking it again in October. Again, very nice place!!

It's less than 1 mile to Channelside and port.

We won Courtyard Inn by Marriott Downtown Tampa, on Priceline, in December for $60 for 4 of us. Very nice place. Free shuttle to port and anywhere within so many miles (4 maybe??)

Wow, that's a great price for that hotel and area. Good for you. :)

Thanks again, these posts are helping me alot.

I looked into the HI and saw (on my dates) it was around $130, all taxes etc. And it will include all my shuttles/transport/before/after.

It looks to me like Hampton Inn has the same type package but around $110. I think that is a good cost for my piece of mind flying in night before. Weather is one thing. Luggage is another. Plus, it is another day in Florida and NOT in Michigan!

Would you mind if I ask how the criteria you used for priceline. I want to try them for a room for my daughter's cruise in May. Thanks!

Archived