Denali lodge reviews

VT Hokie Cruiser

We noticed that the overall reviews and ratings are not very impressive on Trip Advisor regarding Denali Princess Lodge. About as many rated the place unsatisfactory as did satisfactory, and the mid-range score was weighted heavily as well.

There were a number of comments about heavily-worn rooms (some) and rude, flippant and uncaring customer service. There are always going to be complainers, and I don't expect it to be a Marriott, but I was surprised to read than many complaints about the Princess brand and service at Denali. The McKinley Lodge got better ratings.

We are booked for two nights at Denali in early June. What experiences have others had? Thanks.

Have stayed in the Lodge in 2006 and 2010 and both times found it acceptable. We were able to get a good nights sleep and the hot tubs had a nice view. The food service is somewhat slow and the food very average. The shuttles to the park were well run and the shopping and restaurants across the road are welcome. Would I book there again , Yes I would.

We found it acceptable. Princess calls it a "Wilderness" lodge which it is not. There is a busy highway just outside the door and a bunch of shops just across the street. That being said we found our room to quite nice and great scenery all around. The "Music of Denali" show was a lot of fun and a good dinner went with it. Now McKinley Lodge is a wilderness lodge ! It's about a hours drive from the railroad station. There isn't even electricity out there, all the power is supplied by four large generators. We really enjoyed both lodges. By the way, we did not see Mt Mckinley because of rain and fog.

We stayed at the Denali Princess in June of 2009, we had a fairly big group of about 50 people. We found the Hotel to be ok for our needs. However, I would completely disagree about the staff. We found the staff during our stay went beyond and were excellent. To explain, we had booked a tour direct with the National Park Service, not the standard one given by Princess. I had written to lodge via email the beginning of May for shuttle information and was told we would be able to catch a 6:30am shuttle, however, that morning at the lodge the shuttle did not exist. The staff was great and was able to round up some vans and get us over to the Park, it was really really close, but we caught the Park Service bus and the trip was fantastic. When we were there in 2009, they had just added some new buildings.

We found the food at the lodge to be so so. We found the food and the rooms better at McKinley. We were very forunate that we had 4 days of viewing the mountain. A lot of people never get to see completely out.

I think you will find the rooms ok, we really did just sleep in the room I think we spend maybe 8-9 hours total in the room. The big draw is outside which is where we spent all of our time.

Enjoy Alaska...

We were at Denali lodge in September, 09. We found both the accomodations and the service perfectly acceptable and thought location on bank of river lovely--park tour amazing! We also very much enjoyed the dinner show--lots of fun. If you do find a bump in the road, so to speak, just remember, you are in Alaska!! (A bucket list visit for us.) We were fortunate to enjoy sunny views of "Denali" the entire visit to Mt.McKinley lodge(2nights). Have a wonderful trip--I'm ready to go back!!:)

We were there in Sep 09. The room we got was spacious and very clean and comfortable, but there were definite signs of wear and tear. They did say they were on a mutli-year schedule to refinish rooms during the off-season, and there is also a much newer building at the hilltop where the rooms weren't themed as nice but were more up to date.

In terms of attitude the staff were great, but there were some informational problems as we were there end of season and there was some confusions as to what was still open, etc.

And the previous poster was right, its not really a wilderness lodge, but I found that to be a plus as we had some additional dining and snack options across the street. The view from the back deck though was very nice, as well as the hot tub area. The main lodge is very nice as well.

As far as dining goes, the fine dining restaurant was very good, if a bit pricey. The pizza place was just average, and breakfast was Subway across the street.

All in all I would happily stay there again. I should point out that you are not really here for the lodge, its really just a place to sleep and recharge while exploring Denali.

I'll link my Alaska photos below, there are some photos of our room and the area, as well as ones of McKinley (don't judge our room at McKinley as standard, we got a huge upgrade. The Denali shots start at bottom of Page 3.

http://loonbeam.smugmug.com/Travel/Alaska-2009/13372271_S5ZH3#972440912_Q8NEH

We were there in 08 and had no complaints about the room. It was clean, the water was hot, and it had a good view of the river. The food at the Base Camp Bistro was really pretty good. Yes, we're going back this year.

Lived in Anchorage for 14 years, so here is my 2 cents:

The Princess' Denali Lodge is by far the best accomodations in the Denali resort area. It burned down 10 years or so ago and they rebuilt it bigger and better. That being said, it is in the middle of nowhere and it is rustic settings, so don't expect the Four Seasons.

As for the "highway." We're not talking LA freeway here. This is the Denali highway where if you walk 100 yards you are knee deep in wilderness.

It's a beautiful area and a must do if you visit Alaska. Enjoy!

Archived