Spa Facilities Staff Wages not paid

IVAKING

Most of the spa facilties until Dec 2010 were operated by Onboard Spa Company a joint venture between Harding Bros and Multitrax and was taken over by Steiner at that time. We know from a family member and via various communications that staff/therapists who left around that time are still finding it hard to get their last wages that are due to them with false promises never being fulfilled by any of the companies. This is money, on a commission only basis, already paid by customers on board (the ship we know of was the Aurora but believe others are the same) many months ago and has not got to those who provided the service. They do not get paid much anyway and I am sure most decent people will agree that this is unacceptable and just short of theft. A number have started a facebook pooling of information etc and if any customer wish to show their support whilst onboard in any way they feel - please do so. I am sure that P&O would not want to be associated with this.

:mad::mad:

Sorry to hear the girls haven't been paid, they work hard for their mone and they rely on their commission, my DIL has worked her way up from therapist to spa manager Stiener This is a common problem when one company takes over any operartion both companies blame each other.

If it is a common problem and they know it can happen then even more reason to be unexcusable. We have been forced to commence legal action and will post advice to others as we go along.

Sorry, but still no excuse for just doing the decent and right thing in my book. If that is the reason then why not just be honest and tell these people that and honour expectations rather than give a load of made up excuses. I bet their wages have been paid!! They are basically in breach of contract which is illegal. Also they are no longer at sea so food and accomodation is not paid for and it is very much needed whilst looking for another job. The legal proceedings have started and the solicitors are instructed today.

Sadly it happens on land as well as at sea... I take your point:o that once home they rely on that final salary... A friend worked in a local bank and told me many people would come in on pay day and find no wages had been paid in and the company hadnt told them they were in difficulties and the first they knew was when they went to the bank..:(

I hope it gets sorted out and the lawyers dont cost more than their wages ..

• 2 weeks later...

Pleased to say that the wages were eventually received (after chasing like mad) and 2 months late. Still have the lawyers on stand by though as they still need to reimburse for a uniform that had to be purchased for £150 as part of the contract and she was never allowed to wear. It was handed back in it's original packaging. Anyone thinking of taking up employment like this be very careful as these people seem to have very little integrity and will squeeze every last penny out of you. Should have realised something was amiss when we went to their advertised office in Southampton and it was all fenced off and empty. We will, however, give them a chance to put this right.

It was infortunate your daughter got caught up in the handover to Steiners. Did they not renew her contract. The girls normally try and sell their uniforms to girls still in the spa as every ship has a different uniform, my DIL has quite a few here from all the different lines she has worked on.

Still have the lawyers on stand by though as they still need to reimburse for a uniform that had to be purchased for £150 as part of the contract and she was never allowed to wear.

Is that really worth litigating over? It sounds as if a dose of realism may be required.

I'm not saying that they are right, simply that life is too short sometiimes.

WD

Wow steady on guys. Don't know who these people are that are criticising here but remember this is illegal and that is why lawyers are prepared to help and it is not actually costing us anything so what is there to lose. I dont recall saying it was my daughter either! We don't expect anything from anyone that is the society we are sadly in. Just want people to do the decent thing and we want to warn others to beware. It disappoints and saddens me that people will actually defend it but I guess that is what has often happened in history. Yes - in isolation to some it may not seem a lot of money but to add up what is happening overall I guess it must be. What good is a corporate uniform if you no longer work for that company and that you have been conned into buying it at not a cheap price and then not allowed to wear it?

• 2 months later...

Just to finish this - the honourable thing was done and the refund was made plus all wages eventually paid up after 5 months of constant chasing. All staff note. Customers consider a thought for these employees when on board. Thanks to everyone for their words of support and to those that did not then well !!!!!!!!!!

Archived