Mercury 09-02-05

twonpcb

Yes. My partner and I will be on the cruise with some other family members. We are two women ages 48 and 51 from Tampa (but I work in Philadelphia and commute.) This will be my 15th cruise and my second on Mercury, one of my favorite ships. I sailed her from Vancouver to Hawaii for 12 glorious nights in the Penthouse suite in 2001. I have sailed once before to Alaska on the Amsterdam and loved the cruise. Tell me about yourselves. It would be great to make some new friends before the cruise. Trish

We'll be on the Mercury for the 2nd time leaving SF on 3/30/05 for the usual Mexico Riviera stops. You'll love the ship. Not one of the biggest, flashiest or newest, but a true delight to sail on and the staff are terriffic.

Be sure to ask the Cruise Director to schedule a "Friend of Dorothy" gathering as soon as you board, preferably with a typewritten note delivered to the CD's counter. He's a very nice straight man (name escapes me) who thinks nothing of scheduling FOD's... very common and no big deal with him. We were on a 12-day Alaska cruise out of SF last Sept. and requested an FOD: he scheduled one, then TWO ADDITIONAL ones without being asked since it was a longer-than-usual cruise.

You'll love it :D :) !

Joe and Michael

JoeAndMichael@bigfoot.com

Trish,

We will be sailing with Robert's parents. It is the family gift to them for their 50th wedding anniversay. The parents (Mom always knows) have not figured out our relationship after living together for 10.5 years. We have sailed 6 times before in the Caribbean. We are 39 and 40 today, but will be 40 and 41 by the time of the cruise. We have a lot of time to talk before the cruise. We are shocked as to the increase in price since we booked last fall. We have reserved a room for Robert's mother sister, but don't think she will be joining us at this time. We live in Panama City Beach, just up the way from Tampa.

Let's continue our conversation,

Joe and Robert

Joe and Robert----How ironic in that this cruise is somewhat of a gift for my partner's parents. At time of this post, her Mother knows of our relationship, but her Father does not. It will be our first time sailing with them and Karen's first time sailing to Alaska. It will also be Karen's first mainstream cruise. We did two Olivia cruises in 2004 and are set to sail 3 weeks from Saturday on another Olivia cruise. We love them. But, hardly the voyage for her parents. Have you ever done a gay cruise? Olivia is absolutely wonderful, but very expensive. I too am shocked at how much prices have increased for this cruise. It is mostly due to Celebrity's new policy of no discounting, I think. I too am so glad that we booked early as we got a great deal on our Royal suite compared to what they are now charging. Plus, the shore excursions are so expensive for Alaska. As I said in my earlier post, we live in Florida, but I work in Pennsylvania (since January 3rd.) Ultimately we will relocate up here, but for now I commute. Karen and I both work in different areas of healthcare. I've lived in Florida for nearly 20 years so winter weather is a big adjustment. Have you thought about shore excursions for this cruise? I did some wonderful ones when I sailed there in 2001. Are you planning on spending any time in Seattle before or after the cruise? Let's keep talking. Trish

Trish and Karen,

We have been researching the shore excursions for this trip. We are planning on going whale watching. What shore excursions did you do previously. On our past cruises, we have booked several excursions privately based on what we had read on the boards. We have never done an Alaskan cruise because we prefer warmer climates. Robert's parents would not like the heat so that is why we are doing this cruise. Our plans are to fly up a couple of days before the cruise and then have Robert's parents fly up the day before we depart. His parents will be coming from Oklahoma City and us from Florida. I bet the adjustment to winter up there is hard. Where is your cruise in 3 weeks?

Joe and Robert

Good Morning Joe and Robert----Regarding our Olivia cruise in 24 day (but who is counting) we leave out of Ft Lauderdale on the HAL Westerdam and sail to St Thomas, Virgin Gorda, the Turks & Caicos, and the HAL private island. I really don't care where we go. I'm just looking forward to warm weather and getting away. We are excited that Melissa Ethridge will be performing on the cruise the first night. I hope that we can fly to Seattle 2 days before the cruise as there are so many wonderful things to do and I would like to adjust to the time change before we sail. We will likely stay in a Marriott or Residence Inn there. I have been living in a Residence Inn in Pa since January 2 and have enough points to practically put the whole ship up for free. We did wonderful shore excursions on our 2001 Alaska cruise and I plan on repeating 2 of them. The two best (and, unfortunately, the most expensive) shore excursions were the helicopter ride with landing on two glaciers. There is no way to describe how wonderful it was. Then, we took a float plane and landed on water at Neet's Bay and went to a stream and got up close with many bears who were in the water eating salmon. It was amazing!!! We also did a boat trip with whale watching. I did not enjoy that as I am prone to sea sickness which is usually well controlled, but the waters were VERY rough and we only saw one or 2 whales. It was beautiful but I was not feeling well. Then we had a brief stop in Victoria and we took a great carriage ride. The scenery is so amazing as was the day we went to the glacier and say all the calving from our verandah. I was worried that I would not like the cruise because I too am used to sailing in warmer climates, but it was amazing. The Mercury remains one of my favorite ships and I'm anxious to go back. I leave for Florida tomorrow and will be home in Tampa for 4 nights. I'm looking forward to it as it is only Thursday morning and I have already been in Minneapolis and DC and Philly this week. Next week I'm in Hollywood Florida at the Diplomat hotel all week for a conference so I'm hoping that by the time I return to Philly on the 22nd Spring will be on the way. I have not even begun to think about air and hotel for Alaska cruise. I'm assuming that we'll be flying from Pa, but who knows. I want to think about the hotel this weekend. Do you have a particular hotel in mind for Seattle? Stay in touch.

Trish and Karen

Trish and Karen,

We have looked at the glacier excursion, but were they $300 per person when you went? Ouch!!! We haven't decided about a hotel in Seattle yet. You mentioned that there was a lot to do and see in Seattle. We have never been there, so we would appreciate any advice about what to do since we will be arriving early. Robert wants to go to the fish market that is so famous. I, Joe, am much more undecided. I make decisions constantly at work, so when on vacation, that is Robert's job. I just go with the flow. Since his parent's will be with us, this trip could be different. It is so early, but we are excited to look forward to getting away. Usually on our carribean courses, I just get in the sun and read. You mentioned staying at a Residence Inn. I am not familiar with Seattle, so where is it in relation to the port? Hope you arrived home safely and have a good time at your conference next week. Keep writing, enjoy learning from your previous trip.

Joe and Robert

Joe and Robert---Well, where do I start? I have a feeling that I am more like Robert...I make all of the vacation plans and decisions and Karen is just happy no matter where we go. I have to make a lot of decisions in my job, but I enjoy doing the vacation planning and dreaming. It's all part of the enjoyment for me. Regarding the Alaska shore excursions, they were over $300pp for the glacier landing and the float plane back in 2001. I saw on the Celebrity website that they are now over $400pp. I did not book independently in 2001 and went through HAL. I have not yet thought about it for September. I do know one thing. The best helicopter company is Temesco. I am told that often they will not take an independent booking (which is somewhat cheaper) because most of their space is booked by the cruise lines. However, they do have a website. I have not started doing the research yet. I can tell you that those shore excursions were unbelievable. But, they should be for the price. You can spend as much on shore excursions in Alaska as you do for the cruise fare. Regarding Seattle and the Residence Inn......it is on Lake Union and not the most convenient location as it relates to the port. I stayed there because I used Marriott points in 2001 and was able to get a lovely two bedroom two bath unit with a full kitchen and the rate includes a full breakfast each morning and a managers cocktail reception in the evening. I'm also going to look into the Marriott by the cruise port as well. Seattle is a lovely city. Pike's market is just wonderful and so much fun. I just loved wandering through the market and watching all of the activities. Also went up in the needle and had a great time viewing the area. I also took a day trip to someplace wonderful where we had to put the car on a ferry. I'm just blanking on where that was right now. So, it is worth a couple of days there before the cruise and to be able to adjust to the time change.

I'm back in Tampa after a much delayed flight out of Philadelphia today. It is nice to be home with Karen and back in the warm weather. Where are you staying on the Mercury? We are on the Penthouse deck in the Royal suite right next to the Penthouse suite and Karen's parents are in the first concierge cabin down the hall. I'll ask the cruise director to hold a friends of dorothy meeting the first full day of the cruise if possible. We've met some lovely people that way. Anything else that I can tell you about Seattle or shore excursions?

Trish

Glad you made it back to Tampa. Guess we will have to do some research on Seattle. Robert is semi in the health care area, he is a pharmacist and I (Joe) am an anal CPA. We also like to experience the local gay culture where we travel, so we will look to see where to go in Seattle. You have us thinking more about doing the glacier, even though the cost is high. That is the CPA talking. So what does Karen have to say on the boards. Robert will get on before long.

Have a good weekend!

Joe and Robert

• 2 weeks later...

Trish and Karen,

Guess you are getting ready for the cruise in a few weeks. We are still looking at the glacier trip. It is probably a once in a life time thing.

Keep in touch,

Joe and Robert

Hi Joe and Robert---Just back in Tampa after almost a week in Ft Lauderdale. I saw the HAL Westerdam in port and can hardly wait. Karen and I leave Tampa on Saturday, April 2nd (next week...yeah!) and stay at the Hyatt pier 66 in FLL and then sail on Sunday, April 3rd, for a week. So much to do between now and then, but I'm so excited. Keep thinking seriously about the glacier trip. We'll go with you if you decide that you want to do it. I have not looked at the options recently, but I'll do that and let you know about what we're thinking. Once we begin to firm up plans let's try and get together in Seattle before sailing if your time and schedule permits. I fly back to Pa tomorrow and back to Tampa on Friday night. At least Philly weather seems to be getting milder. Now I need to get serious about buying a house. Please keep in touch. Trish

Trish,

When you did the tour before, which location did you do? I see that you can do the tour from several locations. We keep researching the shore excursions. Since you have been before, what did you do in the other ports? We are looking at leaving here on Tuesday evening or early Wednesday morning to Seattle and sail on Friday. This will be a very different cruise for us since we have only sailed in the Caribbean where the weather is warm. Are the daily activities different from a Caribbean cruise? Bottom line, will there be enough activities to keep the parents entertained? Are you doing early or late seating and on this cruise is there a big difference from your view?

I hope you don't get tired of all of the questions, but we like to do our research.

If we don't talk before Friday, enjoy your cruise and look forward to hearing about your adventure.

http://www.cruise-addicts.com/picturepost/view.php?uid=2343

Here is a link of one of our prior cruises. Scroll down to the bottom two pictures and the one on the left has us in the bottom picture. Let me know if the link works.

Keep in touch,

Joe and Robert

Joe and Robert---Hello from Pa. Yesterday was beautiful weather...today is rainy and cold. Dreaming about being in St Thomas two weeks from today. Regarding your questions about the Alaska shore excursions, I'm ashamed to admit that my memory may be a bit dim after so many cruises and all of my pictures and program details are in Tampa. I believe that the float plane and bear excursion was in Ketchikan. As I said, that was an amazing excursion! The two glacier landing was in Juneau, I believe. I need to go on the Celebrity website and do the research on the options. I'll try and do that tonight and let you know what I think would be the best excursions. I can't even remember how early one can book. I do know that these two excursions, particularly the float plane/bear one, books up very early as availability is very limited. I'll try and research now and post again tonight. I have cruised Olivia 3 times in the last year and their practice for booking shore excursions is very different and can only be done a few weeks before the cruise.

Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. Can hardly wait to meet you both. I would like to find a way to communicate outside of these boards if you are comfortable sharing your e-mail address with me. If we can do so I'll share pictures and more info about us. Hopefully more later as I research the shore excursions. Take care and stay in touch.

Trish

Joe and Robert---My second post tonight. I hope by now you have read the first one. I realize that I did not answer part of your questions regarding the activities on board the ship. My reply is based upon HAL and not Celebrity Alaska, but keep in mind that the Mercury is a "dignified" ship and there will be plenty of activities. I can't say that they are fundamentally different from a Caribbean cruise. Certainly just less geared toward the pool and outdoor areas. But, Alaska weather can be so variable. We had some lovely warm weather on our September 2002 cruise. Celebrity has the usual art auctions, spa services, shows, etc. I would not worry about your family being bored. Perhaps they will even "connect" with Karen's parents. They are both very active "mid-70's" who are well traveled and very nice people. Maybe they will bond and allow us some fun time!

OK...here is my report on the shore excursions.....Be warned...the CPA part of you needs to sit down and take a deep breath!!! Here are my recommendations and read on what Karen and I will do:

Juneau:

---For first timers I would recommend the pilot's choice helicopter/2 glacier landings. That is what I did in 2002 and the cost is about $340pp

---If you are a dog lover (I am) I will try and do the Glacier landing and dogsled ride at $434pp. Hit or miss as to whether it will even be offered at that time of year.

Ketchikan:

---Alaska Bear Adventure at $310pp. Sounds good, but I might prefer the tour below which I have already done

---Neets Bay Bear Watch at $310pp. I have done this and it was amazing and would like to share it with Karen

Skagway:

I have never been there. I might opt for the White Pass Scenic Rail trip. Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure.

OK, my friend. Are you still breathing? As I told you, often shore excursions can cost as much or nearly as much as the cruise. Trust me when I say that they are amazing. You will only do this cruise once or maybe twice in a lifetime. So, let me know what you think.

Trish

Wow, are you lucky. One last post tonight. I did not realize that there was one question that you asked that I did not answer. Karen and I are and will always be late dining. This is an issue on this cruise as her Father is diabetic and wants early dining. So, they will be dining without us most evenings. I have found on the Alaska cruise that the port days are VERY active and you can be tired and, as such, do not want to dine early. On HAL in 2002 we has the Penthouse Suite which had a dining room for 8. We ordered in our meals some evenings. We will probably do the same some evenings on this cruise. Celebrity butlers do a wonderful job of serving meals in the suite. Want to join us one evening if we can work it out?

Trish

Hello

I am barely breathing. Robert has a way of us exchanging email addresses and not on this site. I will have him send you a message on here and tell you how we do it. We are just scared of someone else getting our main email address and sending us viruses.

The shore excursions sound exciting......but costly. We will probably limit our experience to one of the more higher priced. Robert's parents will be overwhelmed if we try to do more than one.

We will talk about joining you for dinner in your suite.

Will get Robert to get on and tell you how we can connect with direct email addresses.

Joe

We have set up a temporary email address as rjorski@yahoo.com . If you send us an email at this address we will respond from our regular email address. If you'll just do a test message to this address and let us know on the boards, then we can talk one on one.

Joe and Robert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived