Anyone have a clue what this means?

TrinaP1204

Trying to finalize shore excursion plans and having the normal issues and frustrations dealing w/ emaling the shore excursion dept.

We chose 2 excursions from the list of accessible ones they sent us. Now they are saying most tour operators require an able bodied person to be w/ wheelchair users. They did not inform us of this at first. My husband and I are both in wheelchairs. Granted we are pretty good w/ getting around but neither of us can stand or walk at all. They knew this at first when I made the arrangements and sent them all the info they requested.

Anyway, this is the reply we got and I am not quire sure what this means.

Please note that we submitted the wheelchair information below to the tour operator for the SF03- Sausalito & Muir Woods tour to be conducted on May 17, 2011 on the ship's call in San Francisco.

Once we receive wheelchair compliance, we will revert.

Thanks for any suggestions on this!

Since this is a tour within the USA, the vendor must comply with the ADA. I don't believe that what they are requiring is legal. I would recommend contacting the ILC in San Francisco tomorrow and ask for their help in getting this resolved. You might even need to contact an ADA attorney (which they should be able to refer you to). I assume that you have arranged this tour through the cruise line instead of on your own? If so, the cruise line may also bear some responsibility. Keep us informed about how this plays out.

Yes this is all thru Royal Caribbean. I hate this email system we are lowered into using to get issues worked out when they can be so complicated dealing w/ accessiblitity and shore excursions.

I emailed them and told them we were on this certain cruise and was told to email them to find out what shore excursions were available for us. I sent them all the info they requested. They emailed me back with a list of wheelchair accessible tours we would be able to go on according to the info we sent them about our needs. I answered the specific question that we were both confined to a wheelchair, no walking, no standing.

No where did they mention we might be required to have an able bodied person along with us. My husband said the same thing about that not sounding legal.

I just wish they would have a person to at least call to do this stuff. It is so frustrating. Don't they know that disabled and retired people needing assistance are a huge portion of their paychecks? Sheesh

This is genuine curosity, not trying to be rude, but how do you get in and out of bed, showered, etc. if neither of you can stand or walk? My husband is disabled due to a stroke, and the idea of taking a vacation together seems overwhelming to me, even though I'm in good shape. Thanks in advance for any information or sources of help.

Just because we do not walk or stand does not mean we cannot function otherwise. I can do just about anything, but in a different sort of way. I drive, work, take care of grandkids, you name it.

Just all done in a round about way I guess. I have always been in a wheelchair so I have just always learned as I went. Growing up I did not have alot of adaptive equipment, etc. I just made do with what I had.

We have been on several cruises and done just fine. We travel quite a bit. This was just the first time we were told we were REQUIRED to have an able-bodied person w/us. Which we are finding out may be illegal on their part.

Just because we do not walk or stand does not mean we cannot function otherwise. I can do just about anything, but in a different sort of way. I drive, work, take care of grandkids, you name it.

Just all done in a round about way I guess. I have always been in a wheelchair so I have just always learned as I went. Growing up I did not have alot of adaptive equipment, etc. I just made do with what I had.

We have been on several cruises and done just fine. We travel quite a bit. This was just the first time we were told we were REQUIRED to have an able-bodied person w/us. Which we are finding out may be illegal on their part.

It's the *tour* that is requiring that you have an able-bodied person with you..not the cruise ship, right? Most of the time the cruise lines contract with outside vendors for excursions, and the cruise vendor is the one that is requiring this?

We're cruising on a European line which does not have to conform to any ADA regulations. They're quite clear that I (who use a wheelchair) need an able-bodied person with me "at all times" if I want to cruise on their vessel. And most of their excursions are by bus...I cannot climb stairs...so I end up staying on board. My husband and I still have a good time; just in different ways... :o

The tour is in San Fransisco, California.

I heard back and again and that is basically what they said about the tour operators not being able to assist. And that is ok. Now they are telling me the tour is "not the best suited for wheelchair users". Then why on earth do they suggest that to me specifically on their list of wheelchair accessible tours???? sheesh! They said a path may be an issue. Why in the world do they have to have all this vague stuff? They really need to be specific. People in wheelchairs needs specific info on what issues to expect when we are doing these things.

The tour is in San Fransisco, California.

I heard back and again and that is basically what they said about the tour operators not being able to assist. And that is ok. Now they are telling me the tour is "not the best suited for wheelchair users". Then why on earth do they suggest that to me specifically on their list of wheelchair accessible tours???? sheesh! They said a path may be an issue. Why in the world do they have to have all this vague stuff? They really need to be specific. People in wheelchairs needs specific info on what issues to expect when we are doing these things.

This is my personal opinion. I don't expect the able-bodied world to know or understand everything about every disability. I know lots of people in wheelchairs (I've been in one for 20 years myself; been a disabilities consultant for 30 years). Some people in chairs would consider a path a major obstacle; others would say "ah, a small bump in the road" and move through it. You and your spouse may well do lots of things other folks in chair wouldn't even dream of...yet there might well be things you can't do that I do from my chair.

A person in a chair -- with an able-bodied person helping them -- may well be able to traverse the path in question. A person by herself in a wheelchair may...or may not..be able to do so. They don't know your capabilities, and couldn't begin to assess the capabilities of every person who comes along in a chair, inquiring about their tour, nor could they guess about whether even the path is accessible for someone pushing someone in a chair. Obviously if it were 4 feet wide and paved, the answer would be easy. Apparently it is not. Sounds to me like they're erring on the side of caution - -they'd rather you not attempt it, than attempt it and get stuck, or fall and get injured, or pay for the tour, get there, and realize you can't manage it.

Archived