Chops wine pairing dinner question

Both times that we've done the wine pairing dinner, the foods and the wines were fixed in advance. No substitutions for the menu, although your wine glasses will be topped up generously.

If you check the RCI website, there should be a sample menu listed for the food. Last time I looked, it was the same foods that were served during our Xmas cruise on Enchantment. They are excellent quality; I particularly liked the soup course.

Prepare to spend at least 2-3 hours for this activity. The focus is upon experiencing how the foods and the wines taste together, so the service is leisurely. I do advise monitoring the amount of wine they serve you, otherwise you may find yourself staggering back to your stateroom at the end of the night, and not because of high seas.

The first time we did the wine pairing dinner, we were on Serenade OTS, and the headwaiter was the person who had come up with the concept. He rhapsodized about the food and the wine, and told a story about each dish and each wine, and why the two were paired.

It was a wonderful gourmet experience.

The second time we did it, the concept had been rolled out across the fleet, and what we got was a brief blurb about the food and the wine, but none of the passion and joie de vivre that Bruno shared with us during that first experience.

You will get a description of both wine and food, and you probably will find it is quite satisfying and enjoyable. The food and drink, I promise, will be well matched and enjoyable.

We were spoiled for the second experience simply because of the circumstances of that first experience.

I think it would be a very enjoyable birthday experience. I suggest that you let them know ahead of time that it is a birthday; they might be able to do a little something extra.

And we took our first cruise on Jewel. She is a lovely, lovely vessel, and I hope you have as much fun as we did.

Archived