Which dock for Solstice in St Thomas?

BBH

We were on the February 13th Solstice sailing and were at Crown Bay along with a HAL ship. That day Carnival, Princess, RCL and two other ships were at Havensight. The crew told us that the port authorities sometimes put the ship at Crown Bay and they don't find out until the last minute. The printed materials for the port they handed out on the ship the night before showed us at Havensight and the port schedule information for St Thomas I saw on the internet before we sailed also showed the Solstice at Havensight.

Google "vinow cruise ship schedule" ... look at the first few links that come up, the one that has "cruise ship schedule" on the link will have the info you need.

Above the schedule you will see the option to see all islands, or just St. Thomas... click St. Thomas. They're only available a month at a time, so if your sailing is a long time away, you're going to have to wait to find out.

OR - go to cruisecal dotcom, find the ships that will be docked with you in st. thomas on your specific day... then go through the current vinow cruise ship schedule and see if you find a day where the same ships including yours are in port in St. Thomas... (IE... you find out Solstice will be in port with ships X,Y,Z, and R .... so you look through the dates currently posted and see a day where Solstice is again docked in St. Thomas with ships X, Y, Z, and R )

Whichever port Solstice is docked on that day will very highly likely be the port you'll be docked in.

Complicated, but if you're like me and MUST know ahead of time, it worked :D

As posters have pointed out, things can change very quickly, and the pier you are scheduled for may or may not be the pier you will arrive at. On Connie last month, we were told we would be at Crown Point, and the CD, the shopping guide, everyone geared up for that location. But lo and behold, we were at Havensight. There are no guarantees.

Thanks for the replies. I'll just make plans for both. I'm one of those obsessive holiday planners, gets me more excited for my trip. I'm cruising Mar 20th so I don't have long to wait :)

I check the vinow schedule before our February 13 Solstice sailing, and the site indicated we would be at Crown Bay. When the daily came out the night before, it said we would be docking at Havensight. We docked at Crown Bay.

This was a bit of a problem, because we had local family members meeting us, and I had emailed them after reading the daily to tell them to meet us at Havensight. Fortunately, we were on US soil and I was able to call after we docked, so it all worked out.

Point is, check ahead of time and be prepared for changes.

In January Solstice docked at Havensight with a half million other ships.:eek:

I was on Millenium a few years ago and we docked at Crown.

Someone told us that Allure and Oasis have first "dibs" at Crown Bay because of their size and everything else is scheduled around them.

To the previous poster who talked about calling from St. Thomas, it is not on the nationwide plan for Verizon. Puerto Rico is, but not St. Thomas.

Both were when we had TMobile.

To the previous poster who talked about calling from St. Thomas, it is not on the nationwide plan for Verizon. Puerto Rico is, but not St. Thomas.

Both were when we had TMobile.

Well, that's a case where AT&T has Verizon beat.

Puerto Rico and USVI were both in plan for ATT, so I had full use of my iPhone and no surprises when I got home. With good internet coverage on the iPhone, even in our cabin, for 3 of the 7 days, I was able to keep up with emails (and Cruise Critic) and I didn't even use up our 180 minutes free internet Elite benefit.

Of course I had International Data Roaming turned off, just in case.

I've found the vinow cruise ship schedule site to be even more accurate than the ship. Check it ahead of time and be prepared for changes. I'll be in St. Thomas next week (on HAL, not X), and was surprised to discover that the Solstice will be docked at CB with us. It does seem strange, considering Carnival corp paid for the construction of Crown Bay. I guess it's because there will be 8 ships in port that day - not much choice of where to put them all.

I guess it's because there will be 8 ships in port that day - not much choice of where to put them all.

8 ships!?:eek:

That's just crazy. If that's going to be the case when we go on the Solstice 3/20, we'll just stay on the ship.

We've been to both piers in St Thomas, and I don't like Crown Bay. Not a safe walk to town, and the shops at Haensight are better, IMO.

RCI's Allure and Oasis also use CB because Havensight won't accommodate ships their size and plans to dredge the harbor to permit them to dock there were finally cancelled some months ago. :)

Archived