Can anyone tell me best way to get from

Leesie6351

LHR to Trafalgar Square area in central London? We have limited mobility and cannot do too much walking. What do you recommend that won't cost too much?

Thanks so much from Leesie6351 from the other side of the pond!!:)

I am no expert but given your mobility issues I would suggest getting the Heathrow Express train from Heathrow to Paddington station and then getting a taxi from there. Not the cheapest way of doing it but probably the easiest given your situation.

The Express runs frequently and I believe it is 15 minutes to Paddington.

Edit: If you are feeling more energetic and adventurous, you could get the Bakerloo line (London Underground) from Paddington to Charring Cross (7 stops). THere is an exit from Charring Cross Underground station in Trafalgar Square. Personally though, given mobility issues I would stick with the Taxi idea.

It can also depend on which terminal at Heathrow you arrive at. If T5 (BA terminal) then very easy, just hop in the elevator and you emerge right at the train.

If any of the other terminals then still an elevator down to the platform level but there can be a bit of a walk along the passage ways to the trains. And from T4 you need to get one shuttle train to connect onto the express train.

The Express itself is spacious, plenty of floor level luggage space and the entry/exit doors are exactly at platform level so no steps or having to actually lift bags onto the train, just drag them on.

When getting to Paddington, follow the crowd on the platform, then when you get to the concourse turn right for the taxis.

Heathrow express is £16.50 per person one way, or £32 per person for a return (which is valid for one month).

For the underground (tube) I cannot remember if there is step free access out of charing cross station, and not all stations have elevators/escallators to street level so you might have to carry your bags up some stairs. The tube is not really designed for people with luggage so you might have trouble there.

The other alternative is to book a private transfer from LHR into London. If you search the boards (maybe the ports of call section) you will probably find some info on prices and companies - but generall they are not cheap unless there is a group of you.

Archived