ATM's

cappy09

Can anyone tell me if the ATM's in France will accept a card that works on The Exchange, Presto and Star systems. Need to know if I need another one for the trip. Thank you in advance..

Yes, most ATMs in France (and Europe) work on the Star system. However, there are a few things you can do before your trip to avoid problems. You should have a 4 digit PIN and you need to know that PIN in numbers (there are no letters on most European ATM machines). 6 digit PINS seem to be hit or miss as to if they will work (some even report they work if you only use the first 4 digits). And it is very important to notify your ATM issuing bank (and also your credit card companies) of your trip and itinerary before you leave home. This notification will help avoid security triggers that can get your car "cut off" when you try to use them in unusual places.

Hank

Maybe a silly question but do the ATM's display options in English?

Not a silly question at all! Every European ATM we have used has options for various languages. In most cases it will show several common flags and the one for English is often the British flag.

Hank

Not a silly question at all! Every European ATM we have used has options for various languages. In most cases it will show several common flags and the one for English is often the British flag.

Hank

Thank you Hank, many of your posts have been very helpful to me!

Kim

Not a big user of ATM's except at my own bank. I am sure there will be atm's at the airport, but will the fees be higher at an airport, or should I wait till outside of airport?

thanks for your help

In our experience it really does not matter where the ATM is located, but rather who owns the ATM. As a rule we prefer bank owned ATMs. There are also privately owned ATMs (you see plenty of these locally in small stores) that sometimes have high fees. The major ATM problem for Americans (and Canadians) traveling outside their countries are the fees that can be assessed by their own finanical institution. Our credit union charges no fees (yes that is zero) on foreign transactions...but we still are subject to the standard 1% fee charged by Visa International (they handle transactions for many banks) which is built into the exchange rate. We know of some US banks that assess fees of several dollars per transaction...so its good to check with your issuing bank before you leave home. Keep in mind that even with some fees, using an ATM may still be the best and cheapest way to get money.

In a related matter, we just returned home from 2 months in Mexico and carefully watched all of our transactions with both our ATM cards and credit cards. In the end result, the best rate of all was had by using our CapitalOne Master Card. The next best rate was from our ATM card (as an example. if CapitalOne gave us 12.0 - 1 our ATM was giving 11.9 - 1). If we had changed cash we would have gotten about 11.4 - 1 with some places only giving 11 :1. If we had used our AMEX card instead of the CapitalOne card, AMEX would have deducted approximately 2.7% on each transaction.

Hank

I want to thank you for the help you provide. Our credit union is a First Choice CU (federal employee ) that uses the Star System and 2 others. Can you tell me how far in advance should I notify them of my Itinerary so my card will not be frozen when I use it..and is there a way to know which ATM's are bank owned as opposed to privately owned? Are there special marking that we should be aware of.. We are traveling in May.

Look for bank names.

creditagricole,

BNP Paribas,

Société Générale

Caisse d‘Epargne

Banque Populaire

Crédit Mutuel

Also IIRC and things haven't changed, La Poste serves as a bank for many French and there are ATM's at the post office.

I want to thank you for the help you provide. Our credit union is a First Choice CU (federal employee ) that uses the Star System and 2 others. Can you tell me how far in advance should I notify them of my Itinerary so my card will not be frozen when I use it..and is there a way to know which ATM's are bank owned as opposed to privately owned? Are there special marking that we should be aware of.. We are traveling in May.

Great questions. We normally notify our bank about 2 weeks before our trips (we are away about 6 months a year). With our credit union I can send them an e-mail and get an e-mail response (so I have a record). With credit cards I also call sometime between 1 and 2 weeks before we leave for the trips. As to the European ATMs, you will know that they are bank owned because it will be clear on the machines. It is often hard to walk more then a block in most major European cities without seeing several ATMs (they are more common in Europe then in the USA). You will also find good ATMs in all airports and most train stations, and also in Post Offices (hard to find these places but they do exist). The only port we have ever had a problem is in Copenhagen where some of the docking locations do not have an ATM in the area of the port (last year we walked a few blocks before we found an ATM). Most of the ATMs will clearly be marked with the Visa and STAR logos. If your card does not work the first time, simply walk away and try another ATM (usually not more then a block). Do not keep trying if you are rejected because it could then eat your card :)

Hank

• 3 months later...

Archived