Which Greek Isles itinerary

razerbackmom

If one of the itineraries includes Ephesus (Kusadasi), to me, that is the one place that I consider an absolute "must see." Santorini is nice, and beautiful, and Rhodes is historical, but Ephesus was a major stop in the trade routes and dates back 4,000 years. Far better and more historical than Pompei. I've been there four times and wouldn't hesitate to return. It seems I see something new each time.

Ephesus was a complete surprise to us we really enjoyed it,I think Santorini is the must see Greek island but I also liked Rhodes & Mykonos:)

Naples is a hectic, busy city but is the starting point for 3 amazing destinations. Sorrento & the Amalfi Coast are beautiful hillside towns & home to Limoncello liqueur. If you've seen Under the Tuscan Sun the beach scenes are from Positano along the Amalfi Coast. Friends took the boat ride along the coast combined with a bus ride back & enjoyed it. A short boat ride to Capri is also a nice destination for the day. And there's always Pompeii...the excavated city that was buried by Mt. Vesuvius nearly 2,000 years ago. Naples is also the home of pizza...the Margherita is the original with green basil, white cheese & red tomato sauce...the colors of the Italian flag & named for a 19th century queen. So there's more than enough to do in Napoli. :D

We did the cruise you have been mulling over in June 2009. You will find something interesting to do in all ports. Cruising from Venice is wonderful, Ephesus is a must, Dubrovnik is really pretty and Rhodes is one of my favourite islands. Be careful in Athens. My husband had his wallet stolen even though it was in a zipped pocket in his trousers. Fortunately there wasn't much money in it and we never take credit cards out with us.

Any thoughts about what to see and do in Corfu or Naples/Capri?

On Capri we walked up many steep steps into the main city because the funiculare was closed for repairs. I would not suggest 'hiking' up the stairs but for me it was instead of the gym to burn off some calories. I believe there was a bus or cab as the alternative ways into town on top of the island. In town it's mostly level with great views. It was in November so not too hot but also quite a few shops were closed. We didn't take the small boat ride to the Blue Grotto (Grotta Azzurra) because heard the odds of the conditions being good to go inside are about 1 in 3 & my wife is prone to 'mal de mer'.

For us this June, as we've been to Naples / Sorrento before on both cruises and a hotel holiday and seen most of the usual sights. We're planning on doing the HOHO bus in Naples and visit the museum with the artefacts from Pompeii and Hericulanum. And pizza for lunch of course :)

Berwyn

Any thoughts about what to see and do in Corfu or Naples/Capri?

In Corfu we used a private touring company and went on a very scenic drive around the island and were able to customize our tour and stop at certain locations. There were 4 of us in a sedan so we were able to drive high up into the hills where the buses could not fit. The scenery was breathtaking. It's the most green/lush of the Greek Isles.

In Naples we did an Amalfi coastal drive and then visited Pompeii. We joined up with fellow cruise critic members to share the tour. Naples itself is rather undesirable so you really have to get out of the town.

In case you don't know, you can find more info on the ports here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=594 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=234

I love cruising this part of the world! Fall is a good time in terms of weather and airfare. If possible avoid heat and crowds of the summer.

I will go out on a limb and say if I never went to Athens again it would be too soon. I was there pre-cruise this fall and was glad that we only were there for two days. The new museum across from the Acropolis is wonderful! And it is fun hanging out in the Plaka area at the outdoor restaurants.

Because Athens is on so many itenaries, it is unavoidable, which is why I have been there more times than I want to recall. Our table mate, who was a hearty former AF pilot got bit by a dog in Pireaus but was assured that the local dogs did not carry rabies. that did not stop us from teasing him for 12 nights! The number of stray animals everywhere, the traffic and pollution all get me down.

I think that most people really love Ephesus because it is such a wonderful surprise. Now I have been there twice and enjoyed it both times. The terrace houses are absolutely worth seeing. Easy to set up private tours there. Turkey is wonderful - so much to see!

• 2 years later...

It has taken two years, but we are finally going on this cruise. I am glad that we have waited until now. Last year was a northern TA on our bucket list including Iceland and the Faroe Islands. In September we are sailing on the Ruby for 21 days--Venice to Barcelona with stops in all of the recommendations everyone gave plus Istanbul! Thanks to all of you for your advice and I really appreciate all of the feedback.

Linda

Archived