Belize

mikel24m

If Mayan ruins interest you, I highly recommend visiting Xunantunich. It's an all day affair, but they are truly amazing ruins, and much better than Altun Ha. Make sure you try some Belize style Beans and Rice as that tour does include a lunch on the way back.

I did cave Tubbing through Carnival in Sept and would not do it again. We saw private companies and I was jealous. They had the option of going down a small waterfall and had some time by themself. We did not. We had maybe 45 minutes in the water and for the 2 and half hours spent traveling to and from defintely not worth it through Carnival.

I also highly recommend the cave tubing. We did it years ago through Carnival and it was awesome. However, after reading some of the post on various threads we are looking into a private company to do it again in June.

You could catch a taxi but there is nothing worth seeing in the city. We have done all the things mentioned in the posts, cave tubing, zip lining, xunantunich, and snorkeling on the reefs. I would recommend any and all. If you are not the active adventure types the trip to xunantunich is a great way to see the countryside and the ruins and the view are great. We are going back in July on the Legend and will probably do the cave tubing again.

Belize City is kind of like a modern day Pirates of the Carribean. I really have not seen that much or anything in the city that I found that great and it is quite seedy. the best of Belize is definitely outside of Belize city either inland or on the islands.

I was on the Dream 02/05/ - 02/12 and went snorkeling with Coral Breeze tours - beautiful reef and they also have a stop in "Shark Alley" where there are nurse sharks and stingrays. They also bring you to a little island called Caye Caulker for about an hour and a half, you can have lunch or wander around - very nice place.

Craig

Thanks guys The boss doesnt want to cave tube.Has anyone done a tour or hired a taxi to do a tour

I did a tour about 4 1/2 years ago and I really enjoyed but some others did not. The driver I found was within the cruise village and took us all around Belize. We visited a School and spoke with the children and teachers. We tried belizean bear, he stopped on the side of the road for fresh fruit. He educated us on Belize itself. Some had a hard time because of how poor Belize is and focused mainly on that. Personally, I enjoyed meeting the people and learning about how they live and what they are passionate about.

We did the Belize zoo. It is set in the jungle, not your typical zoo like we are used to seeing. All of the animals are rescues. It is not fancy but very interesting and fun. I actually got to go into the cage with a baby leopard. It was very cool.

On the way to the zoo, we took a tour of the city. Not really much to see, kinda run down and really very sad, but an interesting look at the real Belize!!!

Have fun!

Can anyone give us a good suggestion for Belize.

Posted in the ports forum and no responses

My DH and I absolutely loved Belize because of our shore excursion. It was our favorite of our three ports of call(Panama, Costa Rica, and Belize). We did a small cave expedition, followed by a Jeep Ride around Belize(beautiful views), had a typical Belizean lunch(Coconut rice with red kidney beans and chicken. We loved it...could be because we are Cuban and use caribbean spices), had the option of swimming in the river if we wanted afterwards, and finally took a speed boat ride back to the bay, rum punch included. BEAUTIFUL!! (Oh and we saw Crocodiles on the way back to the bay. All in all very exciting!)

Snorkeling. One of the coolest reefs in the world. Second largest, I think. We did a catamaran with snorkeling, a visit to a white sand beach, and a rum punch party afterward. Most fun I've had in a long time.

What catamaran tour operator did you use? Do you have contact information?

We will be on the Dream April 2nd.

We are going to bannister island through coral breezes. it is a private island and looks beautiful. You can find alot of videos on youtube.

I read some where Bannister Island is no longer open

Archived