Going to Uxmal/ship's tour/got questions

marshhawk

I would really appreciate any help on my gazillion questions. I am finally going to Uxmal(bucket list/life long dream) and I am getting there via a Carnival ship cruise tour.

I just read the pier is 5 miles long, does the tour bus get you at the ship? or do you have to take a bus to town and meet up there?

Does the tour bus go through Merida so you can see the sights of town before going to Uxmal, or are you routed around the town?

If you have been on this tour, what would you say I would need to take with me to the ruins? And anyone been there during November? What are the temperatures like?

What am I going to see from the bus? Monkeys? Birds, really wild animals? Am I going to feel safe in this part of Mexico, and last but not least...

My friend is going with me, this is her first cruise, and we are not glued at the hips, so, if she ends up hating cruising, and wants to go to Chichen Itza as her first choice, and she may never cruise again- if she ends us with me at Uxmal, will she regret it? (I told you I had a gazillion questions)

I would really appreciate any help on my gazillion questions. I am finally going to Uxmal(bucket list/life long dream) and I am getting there via a Carnival ship cruise tour.

I just read the pier is 5 miles long, does the tour bus get you at the ship? or do you have to take a bus to town and meet up there?

Does the tour bus go through Merida so you can see the sights of town before going to Uxmal, or are you routed around the town?

If you have been on this tour, what would you say I would need to take with me to the ruins? And anyone been there during November? What are the temperatures like?

What am I going to see from the bus? Monkeys? Birds, really wild animals? Am I going to feel safe in this part of Mexico, and last but not least...

My friend is going with me, this is her first cruise, and we are not glued at the hips, so, if she ends up hating cruising, and wants to go to Chichen Itza as her first choice, and she may never cruise again- if she ends us with me at Uxmal, will she regret it? (I told you I had a gazillion questions)

OK, I'll try to answer your questions.

We did the Carnival Uxmal tour last Nov. LOVED IT! Yes, it costs more than the independant one with Autoprogresso, but we had alot more time at the site and got there earlier.

Ok, here's what we did. We got off the ship as soon as they opened the gangway. Went to the little fountain square at the port (can't miss it, through the shop and right at it) and they had signs for the different Carnival excursions. We lined up in the Uxmal line, showed them our tickets, and in 5 min or so headed through the little marketplace to the bus. The buses are at the port at the little turn around in front of the shops. We boarded and in another few minutes were off. It took 15 min. to get on our way from the time we got off the ship.

They pass out lunches for later, just mediocre but adequate. Along the way the guide tells about the area and some history. Our guide Carlos was very good. There are no birds and monkeys to see on the way. The bus skirts one of the towns but I can't remember which. You do not stop and do not really get to see much.

We were the 2nd bus to arrive at the site. The guide got our tickets, we went to the restrooms and then off on the tour. I've been to Chichen Itza (years ago when you could climb). I and my DH liked Uxmal much better. The ruins are just as spectacular, you can climb around and there are several places where it is shady. There are no venders in the ruins themselves, just a few shops at the entrance. We had a very informative tour and then our guide said we had 1 1/2 hrs. free time. We could climb the pyramid (which we did) or go to the restaurant where they would have a tortilla making demonstration and drinks/food available. The ones that did that said the food was really good.

We were at the site on Nov. 10. The weather was cool that morning. I wore cotton shorts and shirt with a sun visor. By the time we got to the site it had warmed up. I think it got in the 80's but I was never too hot. We had brought extra water bottles with us and they did come in handy after our climb. Just wear comfortable shoes due to the uneven ground. I think Nov. is a really great time to go. When I went to Chichen Itza before it was in early June and extremely hot.

We really enjoyed our time there and were glad we went to Uxmal instead of Chichen. Zydocruiser on this site has lots of photos of Uxmal (& Chichen). You can do a search and find them so you will know the difference in the two sites ahead of time.

After the tour the bus drops you back off where they picked you up. You will get back in time for about an 1 1/2 shopping before last call to board.

Have fun. I really wish I was going back this Nov. Any more questions just let me know and I will try to answer.

Oh, my DD bought the Mayan calendar that you order on the bus personalized with her birthday and name. It makes a great $20 souvineer. You order it on the way down from the guide and then when you get back off the bus at the port you pay and get it.

Do you have to walk the 5 mile pier? You did not specifically answer this part.

Thanks for the information.

Sorry, thought I was clear. You do NOT have to walk the pier. With the Carnival excursion you are picked up at the pier at the little shopping mecca that's built on the pier. Same for the drop-off.

Wow, a Newbie! I suggest reading the posts on the forums to get some additional info. I will answer some of your questions as succinctly as possible:

Hooray!

Shuttle or Tour buses pick you up at Ship and take you to Progreso or Tour.

You are routed around Merida's beltway as there is too much traffic and you don't have the time. No sights.

Comfortable shoes. A hat. Water. Temps will be cool for those who live here but warm for you. It may also be wet as we are at the end of the rainy season in November.

No monkeys or birds. This isn't Costa Rica jungle. You may see a dead possum on the highway and vultures overhead. You will feel safe in this part of Mexico, yes.

How badly do you want her to be your friend? If she wants to go to Chichen Itza, let her. Go to Uxmal and compare notes. How can anyone possibly know if she will regret it - I am sure she is an adult and make that call on her own.

Does this help? :)

Do you have to walk the 5 mile pier? You did not specifically answer this part.

Thanks for the information.

Nobody can walk the pier. Cruise line excursions pick up on the pier. If not on a ship's excursion you take the shuttle from the pier to the plaza downtown. They run all day. Auto Progreso handles the shuttle and also sell tours at the pier area and at a booth right where the shuttle drops you off.

Sorry, thought I was clear. You do NOT have to walk the pier. With the Carnival excursion you are picked up at the pier at the little shopping mecca that's built on the pier. Same for the drop-off.

Thanks. Considering b/t Uxmal and the shorter Dzibilchaltun.

Archived