Snorkel trips

pkey

While in Maui we would like to do a snorkel trip and are trying to decide which to take. Any recommendations/comments would be helpful? The three we are considering are Four WindsII, ParagonII and Maui Dive Shop. I know these are all very different large, medium and small as far as # of people on board. Two are 5 hours and Maui Dive is a 3 hour tour. Any experience with these guys or anything you'd recommend. Thanks . pkey

Aloha. We can't comment on Paragon, but have taken the other 2. We did the Four Winds afternoon sail. Never again; not because the boat or crew were bad, but because they are NOT kidding when they talk about the afternoon winds (trades+) picking up and making it chancey that you can get to Molokini. We didn't. The alternate spot is okay, but you can get there yourself (essentially right off the road). The boat is fine; crew are fine; food was fine. None of it was anything special though. We had fun--but will never chance the afternoon again, not at that price.

For Maui Dive Shop we took the 10 am trip. It was great. They leave from Kihei (an interesting exit from the harbor if the wind is up, but no problem) and go kind of "between" the time that most of the early morning boats go out and the lunch/afternoon boats. It was not at all crowded at Molokini, which it really can be when all the tour boats are in. Apparently, they all have "spots" where they typically stop (and some are better than others). However, MDS boats are small (about 25 pax) and do not "do" the big BBQ, alcohol, party stuff. They do not have water slides and glass bottom areas. For us it was perfect. Small boat, very good (and fun) crew, snacks and beverages (coffee, soda, juice, water), and a very personalized time. It was less expensive than many of the party boats because they don't do alot of the other stuff (no video of your trip--who cares, IMO). If the weather and water are good they stop first at one of the Turtle Town areas for a short snorkel with the turtles. Then it's off to Molokini. We took this trip in March (still whale season). On the way in, we did whale watching. A small pod (single family) got really close to the boat. By law, whales have the "right of way," so small boats have to stop or steer clear. We stopped and for more than 1/2 hour watched the most amazing show as mom and dad taught the baby how to breach. It was fantastic. The captain called in to shore that we were having too much fun and would be at least 30 minutes late back to port. I don't know if the large boats do anything like that.

So, for a bigger and party-like atmosphere, do Four Winds. For a smaller, low key, hang loose time, do MDS.

Both are good, but we definitely like MDS better. OTOH, we aren't much into the big party boat thing (unless, of course, we're partying on the cruise ship--but that's another story). When we go snorkeling, we like that to be the main event.

beachchick

The winds really can kick-up in the afternoon.

We would suggest that you be certain that whichever outfit you choose, that it goes to Molokai. It is very interesting to be out around the crater and see all the sea life out there.

Also ask about the possibility of seeing turtles during the trip. Some say they will take you to see turtles, but many report that they never see them. Question them to the point that you really believe they will take you to where the turtles are living. The turtles are very interesting to watch and to get very, very close to. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice. I booked with MDS at 10:15 my teens like to sleep in so they are happy to not have to be up and signing in at 6:30 for a trip. The Four Winds sounds like fun but I also prefer to snorkel when we snorkel and party without my children. This is a family trip so we'll avoid the booze scene although it sounds like a great time!!!

Archived