Legend Aft or "Hump" Balcony

PDsandman01

We are taking our honeymoon cruise on Carnival Legend and have cabin 6283 right now. It is the first cabin in the section that "extends" so to speak from the ship due to the lifeboats. I got a chance for less than $400 to upgrade to an aft extended balcony. How much overhang is there back there or can people from upper decks see onto your balcony? Never had a balcony before either so nothing to compare it to. Should I stay in our one neighbor balcony or move to the aft? Any photos...I can't seem to find ones showing what I'm looking for. Thanks for everything!

You have a really good cabin and I would not change. We were on the Legend and in #6218 which is the first in the line that juts out. #1, you will only have one neighbor and #2 no one across the hall. Also, don't worry about the cabins above, they will not be able to see onto your balcony. You are also just steps away from the aft elevators which we never found crowded. Enjoy :)

This is too funny. My stepson and fiancee will be in 6283 for the Legend's October 30th cruise. We offered to either give them money for their wedding or we would pay for a cruise. Surprisingly they chose the cruise on one condition: that they could cruise with us since we know what we're doing and they are cruise virgins. Our best friends, who have cruised with us in the past, are going also and we have 3 balconies together. The newleyweds have 6283, my DW and I have 6285, and our friends have 6289. I thought about putting the newleyweds in the middle cabin but my DW nixed that idea.

Our TA recommended these cabins and they seem to be very convenient. We could have upgraded to higher rated cabins up on deck 8 for the same price but these will be just fine.

Enjoy the cruise and let us know how the room was for you.

For me the aft is the best! You get to see more! When youre on the side you only see half of everything. Im not sure if $400 is a good upgrade but what ever! aft is the bomb!

We are taking our honeymoon cruise on Carnival Legend and have cabin 6283 right now. It is the first cabin in the section that "extends" so to speak from the ship due to the lifeboats. I got a chance for less than $400 to upgrade to an aft extended balcony. How much overhang is there back there or can people from upper decks see onto your balcony? Never had a balcony before either so nothing to compare it to. Should I stay in our one neighbor balcony or move to the aft? Any photos...I can't seem to find ones showing what I'm looking for. Thanks for everything!

I just had an aft extended balcony on the Triumph and I really did not care for this type of balcony. I knew the partitions did not completely cover your neighbors view, but I did not think it would bother me as much as it did. Also, the balcony was always wet every morning, from the spray from the back of the ship I suppose. Others I spoke to with balconies on the side of the ship said they never had a problem. Oh well, live and learn. This was just my experience and may have been isolated to this particular sailing but I don't think I would do an aft balcony again.

Thanks for the info Hoosier. How windy was it on your balcony? Was that divider enough to block most of the wind?

It was windy but it may have been due to Hurricane Tomas. We sailed that week and had rough seas and rain from day 3 on. The partician did block most of the wind and you only really noticed it if you were standing at the railing. Sitting down in the chairs it was just fine. We would definitely pick another 1st balcony in the jutted-out areas again. We loved only having one neighbor and there was no one across the hall, just a wall, so it was very quiet. The aft elevators and that whole area was very low traffic. In fact, we were offered an upgrade to an extended balcony due to a price drop and declined because we didn't want to give up our location. I am so glad that we stayed. Also, do not worry about anyone looking down on your balcony,it will not be possible. Deck 7 and 8 are above you and the balconies are the same configeration. This is just my opinion, but I would stay in the cabin that you have and save the money. See if you like it and then you can judge for next time.

Wishing you a great cruise and nice warm weather. :)

What is a "hump" balcony? I hope it's nothing "honeymoon" specific.

LOL!:o It's actually a "bump-out" section on the sides of the Spirit class ships. Look at a picture of the Legend or other Spirit class and you'll see sections on the sides that bump out further than the rest of the balconies.:)

We had an aft extended balcony, deck 8, on the Miracle, a sister ship of the Legend. We too did not like it. When the ship is underway, there is no breeze and it can become quite warm.

We also experienced black 'soot' on the deck and furniture every morning. Our cabin steward was always there first thing every morning to clean it up. She had to put down a towel just inside the door to keep us and/or her from tracking the stuff in. The aft Lido also had a dusting every morning that had to be cleaned.

Don't know if this is a common experience, but that was our experience.

We now always get a side balcony.

Enjoy your honeymoon. :D

Thanks to all for the great responses! I appreciate it very much. I have seen more positives about Carnival Legend than any other ship in the fleet! Glad I picked this ship and had a great feeling about that room. My Fiancee has NO idea about the trip!

No pun intended on the "hump" balcony btw. :eek:

Thanks to all for the great responses! I appreciate it very much. I have seen more positives about Carnival Legend than any other ship in the fleet! Glad I picked this ship and had a great feeling about that room. My Fiancee has NO idea about the trip!

No pun intended on the "hump" balcony btw. :eek:

;-)

In honeymoon tradition, privacy rules !

A standard aft balcony room has only a partial (angled) divider, making it easy for neighbors to look right into your balcony.

Who needs that ??? Stay with what you've got, newlywed !!!!!!!!

we had 7205 on the 4/24 sailing, but for $40, we were able to upgrade to an aft cabin 6264...I've never had a balcony on a cruise, so I certainly won't be disappointed either way, but from the videos and pictures I've seen aft cabins seem so much more "isolated". However, for $400 I would NOT upgrade.

we did just get a call for upgrades to a suite since it is our honeymoon, one year anniversary, and my wife's birthday. Don't know if its reasonable yet as they called the wife.

Overall, i'd say wait a while, keep checking the fare-viewer. If you see it drop, call them and request an upgrade. They are very willing to work with you. That's what I did.

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

People above and to the side can see into your balcony in an aft cabin. Also, if you have rain the balcony is not at all protected. We wanted to try an aft balcony but will not book again. You either love it or you don't, I guess. I'd stay where you are. You have the extended and it does give you much more room, so enjoy. Congrats on your marriage ;)

we had 7205 on the 4/24 sailing, but for $40, we were able to upgrade to an aft cabin 6264...I've never had a balcony on a cruise, so I certainly won't be disappointed either way, but from the videos and pictures I've seen aft cabins seem so much more "isolated". However, for $400 I would NOT upgrade.

we did just get a call for upgrades to a suite since it is our honeymoon, one year anniversary, and my wife's birthday. Don't know if its reasonable yet as they called the wife.

Overall, i'd say wait a while, keep checking the fare-viewer. If you see it drop, call them and request an upgrade. They are very willing to work with you. That's what I did.

http://www.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer

Sorry to go OT, but if your category doesn't show up on this link does that mean there's no staterooms in that category available? If so, I guess there won't be any discounts for us.

Archived