Alaska - June/July what to pack??

jane02

Hello,

We are off to Alaska for the first time and I have absolutely no idea what to pack for outdoor activities.

My friend and I are mid 40's, fit and adventourous. We like to hike, kyak, horse riding so interested in "adventure" type tours.

My husband and his friend are a bit more low key with their planned activities - fishing, food etc.

I have hiking boots and not much else at present.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Kellie;)

Hello,

We are off to Alaska for the first time and I have absolutely no idea what to pack for outdoor activities.

My friend and I are mid 40's, fit and adventourous. We like to hike, kyak, horse riding so interested in "adventure" type tours.

My husband and his friend are a bit more low key with their planned activities - fishing, food etc.

Thanks

Kellie;)

Hi Kellie - check out the Roll Call for the Oceania June 29th cruise. We'll be on it too. Many of the cruisers have already booked tours & share the info. Some are looking for people to share tours. This is our 1st time to Alaska & we're looking forward to it. Good luck!

Hat or cap and a pair of gloves for glacier day(s). Rather than a lined light weight jacket I would prefer a rainproof jacket with something light to wear under it. If a lined jacket gets wet it can prove very difficult to dry aboard a ship.

Hello,

Thanks

Kellie;)

Hubby and I have gotten hooked on Columbia ROC and AGS (Dick's Sporting) pants. They are comfortable and heavy duty enough for hiking and horsebackriding, but worked well for regular nights dining, (like Dockers') They have side leg pockets that hold cell phones, without looking like a kangaroo; and a security zipper pocket behind the front pocket. We traveled in these and took no jeans. Real double duty. Warmer and "windproofer" than jeans, but not too hot.

As backup hikers and for kayak and wet walking days, I got a pair of watershoe/sneaker/hikers by Salomon. (Techamphibian) Loved them. Wore them to school this fall with my Columbia pants a few days.

Waterproof shell in daypack was always handy and layered well over any combination I needed. Own favorite waterbottle with a neoprene sleeve and caribiner hook to secure it in the daypack's mesh pocket.

Like everyone always says, layers. That's because it's unpredictable. We went the last week of June, and it was cold and raining the whole week. We followed everyone's suggestions here, and were fine. Crew on the ship, and folks in port mentioned to us that the 2 previous weeks had been unseasonably warm and dry, and that everyone was walking around in shorts and tee shirts. So, you just won't know until you get there.

• 4 weeks later...
Question? Do people still use garment bags? Can you still carry them on planes and hang them up? Thought it might be easier to send on to cruise while on land tour.

Don't see too many people boarding with them lately. There are usually only one or two closets onboard and you never know if there are going to be room in them after they hang up the jackets and such from the people in first class or if the flight attendants have their bags in them.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Question? Do people still use garment bags? Can you still carry them on planes and hang them up? Thought it might be easier to send on to cruise while on land tour.

I see one occasionally, but as the others say, don't count on room for it in the cabin closet. I recently spent a long flight sitting next to a couple who had to hold a wedding dress on their laps the entire flight due to no space.

Archived