Anyone Still Buying Jewelry on their Caribbean Cruises?

sail7seas

Another thread today got me thinking.....

Does anyone still buy jewelry in the Caribbean? Our last few visits at St. Thomas and St. Maartin found jewelers leaning their elbows on the glass cases and seemed to be napping. The stores are empty and even browsing through one or two found the cases full of nothing like they used to carry.

Gold, Platinum, Sterling and Gemstones are all so high it doesn't seem many average cruisers are buying anything in the luxury range. Yes, people are probably buying in the $200 - $300 range but nothing in serious money category, are they?

Does anyone still buy jewelry in the Caribbean? Our last few visits at St. Thomas and St. Maartin found jewelers leaning their elbows on the glass cases and seemed to be napping. The stores are empty and even browsing through one or two found the cases full of nothing like they used to carry.

Gold, Platinum, Sterling and Gemstones are all so high it doesn't seem many average cruisers are buying anything in the luxury range. Yes, people are probably buying in the $200 - $300 range but nothing in serious money category, are they?

I think that several factors are involved, in addition to market conditions. Less disposable income certainly contributes ... but thanks to sites such as CC, travelers are becoming more informed, and realize that there is no such thing as buying high-end jewelry for pennies on the dollar. I've posted on several threads, and am encouraged by the responses of others. People are doing their homework, and understand that a $1000 ring appraised at $3000 does not mean that it was purchased for 1/3 of its value. Can you negotiate a fair deal down there? Probably, if you're armed with the latest information (i.e. gold and diamond prices, cost of similar items in the US, etc.). Will you get the buy of a lifetime? Absolutely not! Having spent considerable time in the industry, I'm reasonably astute ... and I've yet to buy anything costing more than a couple of hundred dollars on any of my 40+ cruises.

I still buy jewelry...something just seems to draw me to all those glistening cases!!!

My sweet DH surprised me by buying me an additional diamond band for my wedding set when we were in Grenada this past November. He had been pricing them out with our jeweler friend here at home so he knew what he wanted and what he wanted to pay. No, we didn't get any huge savings, really only saving the amount of the taxes (which can add up). But the moment, the memory, and the gift from my DH are priceless to me!

Note: We do have a credit card that provides protection with purchases like this. If we get home, and find out we did not receive exactly what was promised (grade, ct. weight, metal type, etc.) we're insured. Otherwise, I don't know if we would have bought an expensive piece. BTW, our friend, the jeweler said the ring was exactly what was promised and was priced in the same range as his rings.

Make sure to do your research, make sure your purchase is buyer protected (by your credit card), and don't expect to save any more than the taxes. The deals are simply not huge.

Remember, if your credit card also has this protection, you must have the seller provide you with a written statement of exactly what is being sold to you. Don't leave the jewelry store without it. Don't wait for something to be mailed to you. You must have that to collect on any claim.

That's about all you can realistically expect to save, although it can be substantial. We have a high sales tax here (but thankfully, no income tax) ... a $5000 purchase would save me over $400 in tax. Of course, the item should be declared to Customs ... but most folks simply ignore that, and even wear the jewelry when disembarking. Personally, I prefer shopping locally. If you're really looking for a deal, go to your local pawn shop ... that's where I get most of my jewelry.

Archived