zuiderdam review part 4

super_grover

Day at sea. Read book on prominade deck. Watched Chris the port and shopping guy on channel 35. Over and over thanks to brother who developed strange obsession with this channel.

There were lots of activities going on but I was mostly just relaxing. Formal night in the vista. Saw the whole gammit from tank tops to formal gowns.

I am starting to regret leaving my daily programs and everything at home when I came back to school as my memory isn't what it used to be (hahaha).

Day after day at sea = St. Thomas

Good times to be had here! Please remember that this is the united states. They speak english and use the american dollar. Don't know how many times I got asked that by people on the ship who thought I worked there.

Exited ship and engaged an open air truck taxi deal. They wait until they fill up so try to either get on right at the end of one that is leaving or take a big group with you when you leave the boat so that you don't have to wait very long.

3$ each got us to downtown Charlotte Amalie. The driver stopped by the side of the road to collect the 3$ and ask if we wanted a tour of the island about half way to the town so don't be alarmed if yours does the same.

Were dropped of in downtown CA. Visited Del Sol (some cool stuff but didn't buy anything) and walked around for a bit. Bought the brother a Hard Rock Cafe T shirt. Found excellent cheap internet cafe called something like "beans and websites" for 15 cents a minute. This is too high. Go to the tourism booth on the waterfront and get a "what to do in St. Thomas" booklet. Look through it. There is a cupon on one of the left hand pages at the bottom of the page for 5 cents/minute internet at "beans and websites". It is a little bit hard to find depending where you start but people are really helpful :)

Lots of taxis driving around, just tell them what ship you are going to and they will take you. Along the way while they are still in town they will try to drum up other business but once they are out of town even if there are only 2 or 3 of you in the back of the truck it is only 3$/person :)

Went back to the boat and went to the bookstore in havensite mall. Also checked out the pharmacy for magazines (not current but ok selection) and there is a scotia bank here for anyone who cares.

Back to the boat for lunch and some baking in the sun.

I think the show this night was the magician (someone else from this cruise help me out?) which was really really cool.

Again, no idea what I had for dinner but it was good :)

My city smart brother (16) basically went around CA by himself and got his own taxi back so depending on your level of comfort with your kids a small group of 16/17 year olds could for sure be let go once you get to CA.

You can always check when you get back to the boat to see if they have returned, a feature my parents really liked.

Anyway, I think that is it. I really liked St. Thomas acutally.

Also..Wendy's and KFC (shudder) close to havensite for those who are interested.

Questions? Bring 'em on.

Archived