Zip Lining

Crazy Cruzer

OK, this Zip Lining thing has caught my attention, But do I need to be young and fit or just a little crazy?:confused:

I'm in my early 50's, overweight and not in "tip top" shape :D - but not totally out of shape either. I also have a lingering old injury which, while not too bothersome, has left my arm slightly wear at times.

The zip lining looks fun, but how hard is it? Will I have problems getting up into the trees? I don't think I could climb a 150 ft. ladder! Is that what it's like? And do I need a strong arm to hang on while I'm zipping?

If I chicken out at the last second will I be left all alone in the jungle, or will I be able to follow along from afar and watch my family do it?

Ed

I'm booked to go zip lining .. and one of my concerns is that I've had 17 hand/elbow surgeries and really didn't want to meet a Costa Rican hand surgeon:eek: .. I emailed them and was told that it takes very little hand/arm strength because of the harness. I don't think you'd have a problem from what they said.

I will try to answer any questions that you have about doing the zipline.

You do not have to be in great physical shape, but do have to be able to climb some stairs. The stairs are NOT like climbing a ladder, rather like going up or down the stairs on the ship. If you are able to do that you should be fine. There really isn't any arm strength required other than being able to raise you arm up over your head and use your hand to brake. Braking isn't hard you just apply pressure to the cable ( you are given gloves). By pressing on the cable with your gloved hand it slows you down. If you slowed down too much then you would have to turn yourself around and hand over hand pull yourself up the cable. If you couldn't do that then the guide would come out and get you and bring you to the next platform. It really isn't hard and..... let me just say that I am over 50.... and that is all a woman has to say:p

Now what you do have to ask yourself......do you want the thrill of your life? I guess I do.... as we will be doing it again in Jan 2006 with Oscar Brown as our tour guide.

We had one lady on our tour that was scared to death of heights.... so am I .... but we both did it. You really can't see the rain forest floor so you have no clue how high you are up. If you have glasses be sure to have them in a strap in case you knocked them off... cameras should have a strap... wear shorts, Tshirt and tennis shoes......

I took my 12 and 9 year olds on the zip lines. I have to admit that it is a little intimidating at first, but you catch on fast. I was convinced it was very safe or I would not have let my kids do it. They had a blast, and it was the highlight of their trip. You kind-of sit in these seatbelt like straps, so you are not holding your wieght up. Your hands only steady yourself and as someone said before, you brake with the thing you are holding. You just need to be fit enough to walk UP paths and steps as you go from one line to the next. You would not be able to follow your family since the zip lines go over large valleys. So the only way across is to "fly".

I have a question for all you experienced zipliners. If I brought my digital camera, how would you suggest I carry it? It sounds like carrying it with the wrist strap won't quite work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hey......we loved the ziplining......went on the tour that VikkiGarcia suggested and had the time of our lives!!! The guides will be happy to take your camera and take pictures for you from all kind of angles!!! We really have some great pictures they took of us. I'm 53 and scared of heights also, but loved this!!!! It's a piece of cake!!

Nora

If you have a secure stap on your camera and can put it around your neck you will be fine. I used a fanny pack to put digital camera in when I wasn't taking pictures of everyone, as I didn't have a good strap. I am the only one that isn't in the pictures.....but what's new.... I am always the one taking the pictures.

Our guides didn't speak very good English, so I would talk to Aurora before you start the zipline if you want the guides to take your pictures. Our guides were wonderful, I wish I had thought about asking them to take pictures.

it all sounds like great fun! can msomeone help me....is eveyone using oscar brown? if so, how do i get in touch with him to make a reservation? are there other tour guide choices?

also, how long is the zip lining part? how long is the whole excursion? and how much?

thanks!!

Slappy,

I can't answer any of your questions about the aerial tram, but I can answer some concerning the zipline. We used Oscar for our tour and were glad that we did, as he threw lots of other things in the tour that didn't cost us any money. We paid him $30 for our transportation to Almonds and Corals for the zipline, and paid $40 directly to A & C for the zipline. We did his tour over a year ago, before the cost of gasoline going through the roof, so he might be charging more to cover his expenses. The zipline was wonderful..... I planned this tour and was the last one off the platform, it was a good thing that they all didn't see my knees knocking...... it was so much fun that we are doing it again next year. The tour was the highlight of our trip, well almost the Panama Canal has to rate number one.

The tour with Oscar included stops to pet a sloth and hold a monkey (Rosita) along with a tour of downtown and neighborhoods of Puerto Limon. We were also taken to a bananna plantation, where Oscar gave us a tour and explained the growth process of the plants. We had several photo stops to take pictures of monkeys in the trees and a huge bee hive. There is really so much that is in his tour....sodas in the van.... the big smile....and just a real love of his country.

What you do have to remember is that regulations on the tour guides, in Costa Rica, is not the same there, as here in the States. We did see some of it when we were on our tour. Oscar wanted to take us up to the ship on our return from our tour, but was stopped from taking us close to the ship by security. I think all of the tour guides run into problems picking up people for their tours. We ran into some of that when we were in Jamaica.

As for contacting Oscar, you can send him an email, but you might have trouble getting a response. The lack of response can be to the internet structure in Costa Rica, or because your computer blocks emails from people that it views as SPAM posts. If you want to contact him directly you can call him on his cell phone. I would suggest that you use a phone card from Target, Walmart etc as it will be cheaper to use the phone card, than your charges on your local long distance carrier.

cbrown@costarricense.cr is his email

cell phone 011 506 350 6415.

People have slammed Oscar for not responding to emails, stating that he doesn't care etc. I have first hand knowledge from Almonds and Corals and Oscar, that they get emails..... but sometimes when they respond we don't get the reply.

If I wanted to do a tour with him I would pick up the phone and call him. His tour is alot cheaper than the ship and he includes the entrance fee for stops in his fee that he charges you. When and if you call Oscar you can ask him about the tram and charges.

Yes, there are other tour guides out there that do tours in Puerto Limon, you will have to do your research on the internet and the CC board. I chose Oscar because of the posts from fellow cruisers that used him, before the new boards changed. I am used him in 2004, and will use him again in 2006, in fact I already have him booked for our day in Puerto Limon.

Archived