Mini-suites - worth it?

cortcase

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are toying with the idea of a fall cruise this year. It would be our ninth overall and fifth in a row on NCL. We were thinking about going on the Gem, which we've already sailed on, so we were considering booking a mini-suite, considering the current deals, just to have something different. But I've heard you don't get the suite perks with a mini-suite, so...is it really worth it? Or better just to save the money and go with a balcony?

We typically just do oceanview or oceanview obstructed when we cruise; we've had a balcony only once, and never a mini-suite. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cort

We have a mini-suite booked on the Gem for August....but we're traveling with our 9-year-old daughter who has issues with taking a shower (she has special needs). I highly doubt that we would have opted for the mini suite if it were just dh and I cruising.

For just wife and myself, we have found the balcony rooms to be just fine, especally on the Sun. All our previous cruises have been 7 days. Our next cruise however is the PC 14 day cruise. We did go ahead and upgrade to the mini for that. We felt for that length of time, the curtin around the bed area would be very worthwhile since wife like to sit up and read or TV while I hit the sack. Also, the bit of overall extra room will be nice for the length of the cruise. For a 7 day however, the balcony will continue to do the job. This is all speculation however, not having stayed in the mini yet.

I definitely prefer the mini over a regular balcony. I like the extra space, extra storage, the dividing curtain, even the tub. However, whether it's worth it depends on the price difference. To me, it's worth maybe $100pp more than a balcony for a week-long cruise.

If you have 3 people it is nice to have the extra room. We had one on our Sun cruise because our 18 year old son came with us. It was nice to have the thick curtain between the beds and the extra room in the bathroom and closet. Since it will be just the 2 of us on our next cruise I booked a balcony. Although our room was beautiful I personally wouldn't pay the extra money for just 2 people.

If I had a choice, I would spend the extra on an aft balcony rather than on a mini-suite. For just the 2 of us, I would not spend extra on a MS with no perks. If I had extra money to spend it would be for an aft or a suite that comes with the perks. Whichever you choose...have a great cruise!:D

We have had a mini suite once and will again in May. We look at the difference in price. On some cruises it is not that much more.

But, on some it is quite a big jump in pirces. If so, just get the balcony (which is a must!;)). The mini suites give you more room. It is very nice but if the difference is alot we don't go for it.

A warning..once you have one you want one the next time!;)

I definitely prefer the mini over a regular balcony. I like the extra space, extra storage, the dividing curtain, even the tub. However, whether it's worth it depends on the price difference. To me, it's worth maybe $100pp more than a balcony for a week-long cruise.

It is also worth it to me...although I'd probably be willing to spend a bit more! :)

But we're the type who like spending time in our cabin, on the balcony, etc.

We were four people in a balcony room and it was tight. The second bed was always pulled out (DS2 naps in the afternoon), so there was very limited space to walk in the cabin. This time we booked a mini-suite, hoping the extra space will give us some breathing room.

If it were just DH and I, we would likely book the balcony over the mini suite.

If you have 3 people it is nice to have the extra room. We had one on our Sun cruise because our 18 year old son came with us. It was nice to have the thick curtain between the beds and the extra room in the bathroom and closet. Since it will be just the 2 of us on our next cruise I booked a balcony. Although our room was beautiful I personally wouldn't pay the extra money for just 2 people.

You'll get a lot of different opinions since people differ so much! My advice would be to give the mini suite a try if you can get a good deal. Only then will you know if the extra room will be important for YOU, not anyone else! Have a great cruise, whatever you decide.

We've only done balcony cabins before and never had a problem.

We upgraded to a mini-suite this time because we're on a longer cruise and felt a bit more space and storage would be advantageous, but that's the only reason.

Since you don't get all the other perks associated with the suite, I thinik if you don't feel the extra space is required, I wouldn't go for it.

I always book a balcony and then keep an eye on the prices and upgrade to a Mini Suite (Deluxe Balcony) when and if the prices drop, the 80 square feet extra does make a difference. We just got the upgrade for no extra cost on a PC 14 day cruise so it worked out for us again.

Have'nt stayed in a mini yet but have done research for a Vaal cruise on the dawn.

2 things I really like in addition to extra room space:

Longer sofa (it actualy holds 2 people comfortably)

Deeper balcony with reclining chairs (11th floor Dawn cabins have deeper balcony than other floors. Not sure about other ships)

Hi everyone!

My husband and I are toying with the idea of a fall cruise this year. It would be our ninth overall and fifth in a row on NCL. We were thinking about going on the Gem, which we've already sailed on, so we were considering booking a mini-suite, considering the current deals, just to have something different. But I've heard you don't get the suite perks with a mini-suite, so...is it really worth it? Or better just to save the money and go with a balcony?

We typically just do oceanview or oceanview obstructed when we cruise; we've had a balcony only once, and never a mini-suite. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cort

Hi -

DH and I sailed on the Gem (Mediterranean, July 2009) and stayed in our first mini-suite. When we booked the cruise, he didn't think it would be worth the extra couple of hundred dollars, but in the end he agreed that it was! The bit of extra room, good storage, tub, and the privacy curtain (which we used every night because one of us would want to read or stay up longer than the other) were all pluses to us. We also booked our mini-suite between two regular AB suites and got really outstanding service from our room steward - probably because he also tended to the suite guests' rooms, too. Also, the library was right above us (quiet - no deck noise or dragging chairs) and the spa/gym (I got a spa pass and used it everyday) and pool areas were just a quick climb up one level. (We never used the elevator.) FYI, it was AF 11016 and I would book it again in a heartbeat for the quiet, convenience, space and service!

Have a great cruise!

I have the same dilemma as cortcase (and a nice dilemma it is!); I'm looking at the Jade for the Mediterranean in either a balcony, aft-facing balcony, or mini-suite for my husband and me. The aft balcony and mini-suite (not aft) are the same price. The price difference between those cabins and the regular balcony is enough to make me stop and think.

Help me choose!

Thanks!

We are doing our second cruise from Boston to Bermuda on the Dawn. This time we are taking our two boys aged 14 and 10. We have an obstructed oceanview booked and were looking at upgrading to a mini suite (the balconies only sleep 3!! :confused:)

The kicker is that the balcony mini suite is $750 more than the oceanview obstructed.

I'm having a hard time justifying the extra expense, but I'm willing to be swayed if more experienced cruisers say the upgrade is worth it.

Thanks for all the help!!

We had an aft mini suite on the pearl over christmas. There was room for 2 to pass at the bottom of the bed rather than just one - there was slightly more room from the bed to the balcony door - a curtain between the bed and sofa bed and the bathroom had a bath not just a shower.

We really liked it but depends on the difference in price. We just booked a penthouse for $120 more than the mini suite and it gives you the suite perks where a mini suite doesn't. Where as next december we have booked a balcony as its $500 less than a mini suite and didn't feel it was worth it.

We'd rather spend the $500 on board.

We went on the Gem a few weeks ago out of New York (we had the 2 bdrm family suite which we booked after originally booking a mini-suite) and peeked into the mini suite as we were leaving to see what the room looked like...it looked like a really nice size...not sure how the regular balcony rooms are...but the mini-suite on NCL is comparable to a deluxe balcony on other cruise lines...

We've stay in both regular balcony cabins and in the mini-suites. If you have more than 2 people, the extra room in the mini-suite is great. Also we prefer the minis on longer cruises. On a 7 nighter or less the regular balcony for 2 is fine. If it is longer than 7, we go for the larger cabin. We had Minis on the Dawn, Pearl, and Jewel.

Archived