snorkel vs. cave tubing?

SLPloves2cruise

I am torn between the two options in Belize...

we're planning on doing a DIY snorkel in Cayman at a few of the off the beach snorkeling spots and an AI in Cozumel.

Cave tubing sounds like it'd be a fun adventure, but I also feel like missing out on the barrier reef would be a shame, too. If we snorkel, it will not be in shark/ray alley. Rays makes me nervous!!

I definitely don't want to book through Carnival directly. Paying that much for only an hour or so in the water seems like a rip off!

I'm also a little hesitant since none of the other tour operators seem to operate on a small/no deposit up front and pay when you arrive philosophy (or am I just not looking in the right place?)

When you were in belize, which option did/would you pick?

We did the cave tubing. While it was relaxing I don't know if I'd do it again. They have you linked up in a chain and the guide pulls you, so you just float along in a dark cave. Definitely don't go with whoever carnival uses. After the caves, they got out and our group continued down the river for another 20 minutes. That part was better than the caves!

We used Explore Belize Caves. Their website said you pay when you get there but I emailed and asked if we could do the whole amount by cc before we left and he was fine with that. I didn't want to have to carry that much cash around!

We did the cave tubing/zip lining combo and had a blast with the zip lining!

• 1 month later...

I haven't been to Belize before ,but I would do the cave tubing ,because there are lots of places where you can snorkle ,but not as many places that you can go cave tubing!! Something different.

We did the Cave Tubing in Belize and it was just really OK for us. We are from Missouri and it was really no different than tubing the rivers there. I mean you get to go through the rain forest but it felt like we were in the Midwest IMHO. We got to tube by ourselves me and my DH as long as we were close to everyone. I got tangled in some roots and got quite a few cuts on my legs and then I was worried about what kind of tree that was that just cut my legs and what's in the water? LOL, I turned out fine but it was a little scary.

We are heading back to Belize in June to give it another chance and are at this time debating on Barrier and Goff Caye for a snorkel excursion. I really think tubing really is a hit or miss kinda thing for everyone.

You really need a good operator for snorkeling in Belize. Check out the threads on this board for various excursion providers. Ship sponsored boat snorkeling is a bit of a cattle call and you'll wind up swimming over people of always touching someone's fin. Plus you'll only go as fast as the slowest swimmer in the group as the guides will halt you of you get too far ahead. But an opportunity to snorkel around the barrier reef is a great opportunity.

Snorkeling on one of the beach breaks like Bannister Island or Goff's Caye isn't as good as snorkeling off the boats. Frequently swells will keep you too close to shore.

Cave tubing is unique to Belize and something worth experiencing at least once. But as a previous poster noted, it can be hit or miss depending on your guides, which company gets used and how many other excursions are there with you.

We went snorkeling in Belize the last time we cruised. The reef was amazing! Plenty of fish and we did see a few small rays. We just booked a tour from the port when we arrived. However, I would research companies online and know the names of the companies with good reviews. The boat we were on had engine trouble and my DH ended up having to repair the engine. We'll be there again in Sept. and we plan on cave tubing this time with .com. No deposit for a reservation. Good luck!

we're planning on doing a DIY snorkel in Cayman at a few of the off the beach snorkeling spots and an AI in Cozumel.

Cave tubing sounds like it'd be a fun adventure, but I also feel like missing out on the barrier reef would be a shame, too. If we snorkel, it will not be in shark/ray alley. Rays makes me nervous!!

I definitely don't want to book through Carnival directly. Paying that much for only an hour or so in the water seems like a rip off!

I'm also a little hesitant since none of the other tour operators seem to operate on a small/no deposit up front and pay when you arrive philosophy (or am I just not looking in the right place?)

We found a dive resort in Cayman that has built a man made pool in the rock shoreline where you walk down the ladder into this pool to snorkle and then when your comfortable there's a 15 foot opening out into the ocean. Check it out for yourself, it's called " Sunsethouse Dive resort." We walked in and asked the woman at the desk if we could use there facility to snorkel and they were more than happy to have us there. It was totally free, and we were the only people in the pool the entire time. It was so full of fish and coral that we didn't even venture out into the deep water at all. You only have to have your own snorkle gear which you can purchase at US Divers.com for under $50. Just google '' Sunsethouse Dive resort." It's about 1 mile off the pier to the right. we walked to it but I will take a taxi next time because of the traffic.

When you were in belize, which option did/would you pick?

Snorkeling in Cozumel is great, but be careful about picking your all inclusive if you choose Mr Sancho's beach. There's a woman from Jacksonville Florida ripping people off posing as a agent. It's a great AI beach to go to, but the snorkeling for us was out of a 16 ft. boston whaler where we had to climb back into the boat at the end of the swim. There's some reputable companies to pick from. The shore has some really rough waters. The food is great and the drinks are potent..Enjoy

Sounds like there haven't been too many votes for the cave tubing. It must be a matter of opinion but we have only been to Belize once did the cave tubing with .com and loved it. Our guide was amazing, our group small and it was neat to visit the caves.

Having done it once though, our next trip we will look into snorkeling.

If you are feeling ambivalent about it though, maybe you should pick something that will excite you.

I'd suggest snorkeling while in Belize & doing a non ships tour as well, and visiting Caye Caulker for a GREAT local lunch.

Do a search for Coral Breeze Tours for all their tour options & info.

We usually go with them two times a year & have always had a GREAT time.

They will not disappoint.

We did the cave tubing in December and enjoyed it. It was very crowded the day we went. We had to wait for tubes before we could start our walk through the jungle. The big downside to the excursion is that it takes the entire day. You won't have very much time to look around.

The plus side is that it is very different from anything I have done before. The snorkeling in Cozumel is amazing!

Archived