April 23, 2011 Sea of Cortez/Mex Riviera Oosterdam

Travelrd

David,

I saw your post today and went to investigate your cruise. It's a great itinerary and the dates are perfect for me so i went ahead and booked it!

I'm pretty excited to be joining you on Oosterdam, 1 month from today!

Thanks for making me aware of this great cruise. See you onboard!

hello glenn,

i'm glad i moved this roll call to the top of list today so you could be aware of the cruise. i can' believe how many cruises you've taken. that's really an accomplishment. i just took my first cruise in december, 2006 and it was on the oosterdam. i loved it so much, i've taken a cruise every year since then. so this is really a homecoming for me. i really like the hal ships and cabins. their beds are so comfortable compared with princess and the bathrooms and verandas are larger than princess.

i see you found the "official" roll call and we seem to be a really nice group of people. i booked this cruise when i was on the westerdam to alaska in sept. 2009, and started the roll call back then. i can't believe it is only a month from today that we'll be leaving. some of the people have already organized some places to go together, but i like to leave my options open so have not joined in any of their plans. you have been to the mexican riviera so much, i'm sure you have a great knowledge of places to see and things to do.

actually, i am a big fan of sea days. in fact, if the ship never stopped anywhere, i'd be happy with that. just being on a ship and relaxing on the veranda is perfect for me. will you be traveling alone? (don't mean to be too personal) i always travel solo since i'm single. i think its great that you can book a cruise at the last minute. i can't do that due to the vacation schedule at work but some day i'll be able to do it. i bet you get some really great rates booking so close to the depature date, is that really the case?

i think this is going to be an interesting itinerary. i'm not interested in the copper canyon tour, so i'll consider that a sea day. we are not stopping in mazatlan, which i'm sure you know. i wish they had given us an extra day in puerto vallarta instead of a second stop in cabo but since i'm just happy being on cruise ship, i won't complain. looking forward to meeting you on the ship. do you attend the fod meet and greets?

well, if you've gotten to this part of my posting, then you haven't been bored. i think i wrote too much here but thanks for putting up with it.

cheers

David,

Thank you for your nice note. i apologize if i forget to answer some of your questions.

I didn't know that the cruise was originally supposed to stop in Mazatlan. I have been reading about some cruise ships skipping Mazatlan because of the violence. I was surprised to see two stops in Cabo San Lucas but now realize why. Yes, I agree with you...an extra day in Puerto Vallarta would have been better.

Yes, I have been to the Mexican Riviera many times and like it a lot. i haven't been to the Sea of Cortez since about 1980. I used to fly to Loreto with my friend on his private plane. I haven't been to Gyumas since I was a child when my family took a road trip into Mexico.

I think I will sign up for the Copper Canyon excursion. I have always wanted to see that.

Wow...You really booked this cruise a long time ago! That's great. I'm not sure about the rate I got but it seemed good to me. My status at work recently changed (I'm now semi-retired) so I'm going to try to do as much travelling as I can. I will certainly attend the FOD meet and greet onboard Oosterdam if they schedule one.

Thank you again for bringing this cruise to my attention. I had looked at a Panama Canal cruise and a transatlantic cruise in the same time frame but this one looks a lot better for me (no air!).

I will also be travelling solo and look forward to meeting you next month!

Archived