Carnival Victory Review - 1/23/2011

missymac

DH and I booked this cruise almost a year in advance, so as we grew closer to sailing, we really were excited!!

Coming from the DC area, we did not know what the weather would be, but we had no problem leaving the morning of the cruise and had a direct flight on American Airlines to San Juan. (In the future, we will arrive to our location a day earlier, to play it safe)

When we arrived in San Juan, taxis were there to take us to port. The price is $19 plus $1 for every bag. When we arrived to the port, we were a bit confused as to who to give our bags to, but after that, it was just a few minutes before we were walking onto the ship. (And taste tests along the way :-)

We grabbed a bite to eat on the Lido deck, then we walked around San Juan for a while, and stopped at Senior Frogs (across from the port) to catch some of the Bears playoff game (they lost). Dinner the first night is anytime dining. We sat with two sisters from Canada (nice ladies). We then went for drinks, muster drill and sailaway.

The food was not its best (in my opinion) but I could always find something I liked. Our tablemates during the cruise were a great group (Darren and Shelley-May and another couple whose name escapes me at this moment). We learned so much from them and it was a fun time every night. Antonio and Allen were awesome and always remembered what we liked to eat, and they put on a fantastic show for us too.

Our room steward Orland was great! He always kept the bed freshly made, ice in our bucket, clean towels and I don't know how he did that with us coming in and out all the time, but he was awesome as well.

We picked this cruise because it was port-intensive. We were not disappointed.

First stop was St. Thomas - DH lived on the island years ago, so he had friends there, and I had a friend who is a real estate agent now, so she took us all around the island, then we took a ferry to St. John (which is so beautiful) and we met up with DH's friend for a quick bite to eat before boarding again. (Funny story, - we almost missed the ship.... they were calling our names as we were running to the ship). People were looking at us from their balcony and waiving us on. It was funnier once we were back on, but not so much at first :). (They were calling for another couple too, so not sure if they made it)

Sea Day was next - saw some shows, sat up on deck... beautiful day.

Barbados - Scenic Barbados Tour - Nice tour, also spent about an hour and a half at the beach. Met some nice folks on the tour (Joanne & her Mom) and we ended up having 3 tours with them coincidentally. Good tour for the price ($30 PP)

St. Lucia - I had read the reviews on cruise critics (such a helpful website) and we went with Cosol's Tour and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Yellowbird (Cosol's brother) was our tour guide. We made many stops at awesome locations, and had plenty of drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol), and stopped for some good tasting food....plenty to go around. We also took a boat to a beach location (by hotel). I would love to go back to St. Lucia....such a beautiful place and I would do Cosol's Tour again! ($65 PP)

416873390_TWpic2.jpg.57aaa9b0be6b95b3c78c3210d7dff955.jpg

66080662_stjohn.jpg.107e557ce79d554e998d7e24a4a5a6e2.jpg

1911501278_stlucia.jpg.b8f3701a5707d304079c5e7d2951763b.jpg

St. Kitts - We picked a taxi tour of the island. ($20 PP)

St. Maarten - This is our last port :( (titled The Hangover Part II) - we had a grear time but I cannot remember everything :confused:

We chose Bernard's Tour because of the reviews here. It was a great way to end our cruise. Bernard was our driver for part of the ride. It was a fun group of us on the tour. The drinks (whatever your choice) were flowing. We stopped at some beautiful places, and at the beach for an hour and a half or so. It happened to be DH's birthday which I had told Bernard in my email to him. He was so kind to give us a really beautiful picture frame because it was DH's birthday. That was so thoughtful!!

Well I also announced to the folks in the van that it was his birthday, and I'll just say we all celebrated!! Once at the beach, they drug him out to the water, and he then in turn did the same to my good buddy Joanne :). We saw the planes fly overhead, and made a few more stops. But its a bit fuzzy after that. Had a blast though and thank Bernard and everyone for making it very special.

Luckily we had started packing beforehand, so not much to do that evening.

Our flight left at 1:00pm so we did not get off the ship until about 9:00am. It was not a long process to go through customs. We waited patiently for our flight and were home by 5:00pm.

All in all it was a great trip. Good bargain, with lots of ports and the weather was beautiful. We met some very nice people and will definitely do this cruise again.

170832449_stmaarten.jpg.e56bfc8106cc2cbc65cb7d0ee858071f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
DH and I booked this cruise almost a year in advance, so as we grew closer to sailing, we really were excited!!

Coming from the DC area, we did not know what the weather would be, but we had no problem leaving the morning of the cruise and had a direct flight on American Airlines to San Juan. (In the future, we will arrive to our location a day earlier, to play it safe)

When we arrived in San Juan, taxis were there to take us to port. The price is $19 plus $1 for every bag. When we arrived to the port, we were a bit confused as to who to give our bags to, but after that, it was just a few minutes before we were walking onto the ship. (And taste tests along the way :-)

We grabbed a bite to eat on the Lido deck, then we walked around San Juan for a while, and stopped at Senior Frogs (across from the port) to catch some of the Bears playoff game (they lost). Dinner the first night is anytime dining. We sat with two sisters from Canada (nice ladies). We then went for drinks, muster drill and sailaway.

The food was not its best (in my opinion) but I could always find something I liked. Our tablemates during the cruise were a great group (Darren and Shelley-May and another couple whose name escapes me at this moment). We learned so much from them and it was a fun time every night. Antonio and Allen were awesome and always remembered what we liked to eat, and they put on a fantastic show for us too.

Our room steward Orland was great! He always kept the bed freshly made, ice in our bucket, clean towels and I don't know how he did that with us coming in and out all the time, but he was awesome as well.

We picked this cruise because it was port-intensive. We were not disappointed.

First stop was St. Thomas - DH lived on the island years ago, so he had friends there, and I had a friend who is a real estate agent now, so she took us all around the island, then we took a ferry to St. John (which is so beautiful) and we met up with DH's friend for a quick bite to eat before boarding again. (Funny story, - we almost missed the ship.... they were calling our names as we were running to the ship). People were looking at us from their balcony and waiving us on. It was funnier once we were back on, but not so much at first :). (They were calling for another couple too, so not sure if they made it)

Sea Day was next - saw some shows, sat up on deck... beautiful day.

Barbados - Scenic Barbados Tour - Nice tour, also spent about an hour and a half at the beach. Met some nice folks on the tour (Joanne & her Mom) and we ended up having 3 tours with them coincidentally. Good tour for the price ($30 PP)

St. Lucia - I had read the reviews on cruise critics (such a helpful website) and we went with Cosol's Tour and thoroughly enjoyed it!! Yellowbird (Cosol's brother) was our tour guide. We made many stops at awesome locations, and had plenty of drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol), and stopped for some good tasting food....plenty to go around. We also took a boat to a beach location (by hotel). I would love to go back to St. Lucia....such a beautiful place and I would do Cosol's Tour again! ($65 PP)

Hi Mia & Tommy,

Good to see ya on the board.

Nice review. It was a real pleassure to crusie with you guys.

Lets get Tommy talked into Jan 22, 2012

:)

D&S

St. Kitts - We picked a taxi tour of the island. ($20 PP)

St. Maarten - This is our last port :( (titled The Hangover Part II) - we had a grear time but I cannot remember everything :confused:

We chose Bernard's Tour because of the reviews here. It was a great way to end our cruise. Bernard was our driver for part of the ride. It was a fun group of us on the tour. The drinks (whatever your choice) were flowing. We stopped at some beautiful places, and at the beach for an hour and a half or so. It happened to be DH's birthday which I had told Bernard in my email to him. He was so kind to give us a really beautiful picture frame because it was DH's birthday. That was so thoughtful!!

Well I also announced to the folks in the van that it was his birthday, and I'll just say we all celebrated!! Once at the beach, they drug him out to the water, and he then in turn did the same to my good buddy Joanne :). We saw the planes fly overhead, and made a few more stops. But its a bit fuzzy after that. Had a blast though and thank Bernard and everyone for making it very special.

Luckily we had started packing beforehand, so not much to do that evening.

Our flight left at 1:00pm so we did not get off the ship until about 9:00am. It was not a long process to go through customs. We waited patiently for our flight and were home by 5:00pm.

All in all it was a great trip. Good bargain, with lots of ports and the weather was beautiful. We met some very nice people and will definitely do this cruise again.

We're taking this cruise in May, thanks so much for the great review. We're doing Bernard's Tours for the second time. Loved him. Thanks again.l

• 1 month later...

Archived