How do you feel about being seated w/children??

sujac

I posted this on another thread and someone suggested I try the main board. So here goes. I'll be travelling on the Summit 4/01/2005 with my husband and 4year old twins. (DH & I 36/39)

When we originally made our booking we requested the main seating and didn't give any thought to table size. Later when speaking to X we were told we would be at a large table. I requested they change it to a table for just the 4 of us, thinking most people won't want to sit at a table with two four year olds. Now I'm having second thoughts. I'm afraid that we're going to miss out on meeting some really great people if we're sitting alone. The twins are well behaved (really!) and they eat out at adult restaraunts (ie. Mortons & Ruth's Chris)frequently.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

I wouldn't worry. We always request a large table, and so far (twice) have always been seated with other families with children. In one case on RCCL Brilliance, they even matched our kids ages to the other children at the table.

If it doesn't work out well, you can always ask for a table reassignment.

I think that every time we ever cruised with our kids we were always seated with other families with kids...(up until our last cruise to Alaska, except, by that one, I guess they were "adults").

We have always requested large tables...and had always ended up at a table for 8 with another family of four...or a table for 12 with two other families with two kids each...For example, when we were on the Grandeur of the Seas in Mexico about three years ago and our kids were 16 and 18, we were seated with two other families...one with two 17 year olds and one with a 15 year old and a 19 year old...It made for a marvelous table...

Now, I always assumed they sat folks that way on purpose...now, I am hearing rumors that they now pay less attention to matching people up...

I would hope they still match up the families with kids, though...

When traveling with kids, it goes two ways...A lot of folks without kids really don't like being seated with kids (and it's not just the kids--there's a different dynamic to the table when you have, say, a table for 8 with four couples rather than sharing it with a family) and a lot of kids will get more bored sitting at a table with only us "old folks" (okay, we're not really old folks, but to a 4 year old we are...)...

To be truthful, I have no real problem with kids...we have kids, we've brought them on many cruises...But, when we are travelling with just the two of us, we would prefer a table with somewhat similarly aged adults in similar circumstances...My wife works with kids all year long and our cruise may be her one respite from the younger set...a chance for some intellectual adult conversation...

But, I say, if you want to sit with other people, go ahead and request a large table...good chance they seat you with people with kids of their own...or if they seat you with anyone who objects, the other folks can always request reassignment...

I have to be truthful here. You did ask. I would not enjoy being seated at a table with kids. We are celebrating our 25th onboard and are looking forward to a vacation without the kids along. We would prefer adult company.

I think it is terrific if Celebrity seats families with other familes. Lots in common that way and maybe the kids can even find some new friends among their tablemates.

Thanks for posting, and for being aware that some others might not want to eat with children, no matter how well behaved. I have a few thoughts on this one:

One- I was a four year old on my first ship, and I'm glad that I was seated with other passengers in addition to my family. I think it was the start of learning a great many things about life, manners, and how to relate to people. The "It takes a village.." approach.

Two- If you opt for a large table, be sensitive to the other passengers by not insisting on the same seating arrangement each night. I might like to chat with a well behaved four year old for one or two evenings out of seven or ten, but not every night! (Blessings to those who do this day in and day out!) You could also try "insulating" the kids on some nights by having them next to each other, with one of you parents on either side (assumes they won't fight like my brother and I did;)) This ensures that the other passengers all have a shot at an adult conversation on both sides.

Three- You might also think about the formal nights and whether they will want to be there- babysitting for all nights of the cruise probably isn't good for them, or your wallet, but a night or two? We had a parent on one cruise who brought their son to the lounge before the Captain's dinner, where the son showed off his clothes, and then he came to the table, said "good evening" to everyone. He then bragged that he had extra special privileges and got to have dinner in his room (chest swelled with pride, and he didn't notice the sighs of relief!) and he scampered off to have dinner with his babysitter.

Last- you're already (pleasantly so for your fellow passengers) aware of the potential "issues" for your tablemates, so handle with understanding those that opt not to stay and request another table- hopefully they will also show good manners and merely say they've "run into some friends, and were able to join their table, but were delighted to meet you, and hope to see more of you during the cruise."

And have fun! The kids are SOOOO lucky to be able to do this.

You should pop over the the Princess forum. There is a very heated topic right now. It started out with a poll regarding infants and has turned into the topic of kids in general.

I agree with rjack22's second comment stating the fact that the kids would probably be happy being seated with other kids at the table.

However, I would not be upset if you were to bring your children to the dinner table. As long as they were fairly well behaved. No out right screaming or running around. The adults just have to be a little mindful of what they talk about that all.

I think the question should be: How would your children feel being seated with all adults? Would they get board? However, the waiters take good care of their needs and attention.

Just by posted this question it shows me that you care about how your children behave and what other people are thinking. That's a GREAT thing!

I am traveling with my 12, 10 and 7 year old and we asked for a table for ourselves. Mainly because I wanted to enjoy this special time with my kids. Also on the nights my kids would not be joining us at dinner, I wnated to enjoy the time alone with my husband. I also thought meals would be a lot less stressful if we were dining at our own table. I wouldn't have to be as uptight about 'the little things'. But this is my choice. I know many families want to meet other families on the cruise. I think Celebrity does a great job of making people traveling with and without kids comfortable.

Take some time-- think of what you and your husband want to get out of meals/dinner, and then book accordingly.

Enjoy your cruise,

To be honest, no I would not like to be seated with children no matter how adorable and well mannered they were. I have the MOST adorable grandchildren but if we were to cruise with them, I would request a table for our group only. When I travel with my DH, I would like a more adult, romantic atmosphere. At breakfast and lunch it would be a totally different story. I wouldn't mind at all being seated at a large table than included children once in awhile.

We cruise with our boys, now ages 4 & 5, and we get a table for four. They too, are used to eating out and have good manners for their age. I always consider requesting a large table as it's fun to meet other cruisers, but honestly, I still worry about keeping the kids in line and they are still learning. I just really don't want to subject others to the *manners* talk that will inevitably take place throughout the meal.

Another big reason we get a table for four is that with the kids, we don't get to the dining room every night and/or the kids don't. So that means empty seats at a table. I remember cruising before kids and being disappointed when the table was only half there.

And finally, if we were cruising without our children, I would prefer not to dine at a table with little kids :) I'm talking under ten.

One of my friends has a four-year-old, and this child is an absoulute gem to be around. I eat dinner with them frequently, usually in restaurants, and also have the 4-year-old over on her own to just hang out, do arts and crafts, make cookies, that sort of thing.

That said, I'm not sure I could take it every night of a 7-night cruise. I don't mean to be mean or to offend you, I'm just saying how I'd feel. For a night or two or even three it might be really fun -- especially since you obviously really care about how your kids behave and already take them to adult restaurants. But you did ask, so I am being truthful.

If I were seated with you all I'd definitely enjoy myself and to my best to connect in a positive way with the kids, but if it got to be too much for me I'd probably ask to be moved. I'd also probably tell you that I really did think your kids were great and that you were doing a great job with them, but that I just wanted a non-kid night and that you shouldn't feel bad for me moving. I certainly don't want to make you feel bad for bringing your kids and and really doing a great job with them! That would just be rude and unnecessary.

I always ask for the 2nd seating, though, which is at like 8 or 8:30pm, so chances are very high that we'd not even be in the dining room at the same time anyway.

I think if Celebrity sticks with what seems to be the usual procedure of sticking familys with familys, it will all go well. Also, if you pick the main seating I think that will increase the likelihood that you won't be with anti-kid people -- I always figured the people who wanted to make sure they avoided the kids would take the later seating anyway.

We would have to say, please no kids at our table. We have raised our kids and have grandkids, and we cherrish our adult time on board the ship. I commend you for raising your children to be well behaved and for exposing them to a world of education by cruising and seeing the world. Your Family time could be shared either with others in the same situation or together to discuss the days events. Please don't take offense to those of us who choose to get away from the kids.

Dinner is a 4 course affair and is too long for even well-behaved kids under 8. If you can request a large table with other families with similarly aged kids go for it. Otherwise, it might be better to have your own table. Also, for your own sanity do consider a sitter for several nights perhaps for formal night or for the specialty restaurant.

I'm afraid that we're going to miss out on meeting some really great people if we're sitting alone. The twins are well behaved (really!) and they eat out at adult restaraunts (ie. Mortons & Ruth's Chris)frequently.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated!

First, are you planning to adopt in the near term? I'm available!

I doubt that few of us would have any trouble with well behaved kids, and we've seen a lot of them in the dining rooms of various ships that would make good company. If you haven't overstated the case, I think you'll find you get a good reception from the majority of people who might find themselves as your table mates.

You may find that the experience wears thin for any 4 year old after a few days, and if helpful, you can always take a night off and eat early at the alternative dining area or grab something from the pasta man up there. There are options if you start sensing any restlessness caused by eating in the same venue every night.

ditto to the people who responded it's great IF you are seated with other families. "Been there done that" we traveled with our kids and did the "family" thing with other families. Now that we travel solo or with other adult couples, I would NOT want to be seated with kids. I love kids and am going to be a grandmother myself, however, my vacation is my vacation and dining on a ship is part of the cruise experience for me.

We cruise with our boys, now ages 4 & 5, and we get a table for four. They too, are used to eating out and have good manners for their age. I always consider requesting a large table as it's fun to meet other cruisers, but honestly, I still worry about keeping the kids in line and they are still learning. I just really don't want to subject others to the *manners* talk that will inevitably take place throughout the meal.
Speaking only for us, but lady, if we see you making the effort, we're going to cut you and your kids a lot of slack. Gives a person hope for the human race.

I'd MUCH rather hear your "manners talk" than witness the behavior we often see parents simply ignoring here in the neighborhood of the Peoples' Republic of Boulder (wouldn't want to bruise their self-esteem, don't you know?) Heck, we might even learn some useful new tips for dealing with our 2-1/2 year old grandson. You're a year and a half ahead of us.

I have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated everybody's responses! I think I'm going to stick with my initial thought and keep our table for 4. We still intend on having a sitter on the formal nights and since our kids bedtime is usually 7:00pm, it still gives us plenty of time to socialize and meet people after they're tucked in.

Thanks for your input!

What an absolute pleasure it was to read through this thread. Sane, responsible people

discussing an issue in a sane, responsible manner. Regardless of the viewpoints, they

were written in a thoughful way and everyone showed consideration for the others

involved.

Oh that more threads could be like this.

Oh, by the way - did anyone notice the absence of certain names here.

Cliff

Speaking only for us, but lady, if we see you making the effort, we're going to cut you and your kids a lot of slack. Gives a person hope for the human race.

I'd MUCH rather hear your "manners talk" than witness the behavior we often see parents simply ignoring here in the neighborhood of the Peoples' Republic of Boulder (wouldn't want to bruise their self-esteem, don't you know?)

This would be my response exactly. As long as the parents show that they have and are continuing to make efforts to show their children proper manners and behavior when dining out, I'd be happy to have you at my table.

Kids are fun, and I see no reason to banish them simply because they're not quite adults yet. After all, they learn best by example, and I'd like to think that I and any one in my party are going to be worthwhile examples for the little ones. :D

I'd also think that pooling multiple families at one table may actually give more chance of disruption to others, as most of us who have been around kids know there is often a "critical mass" element that leads to shenanigans... one kid is ok, two or three, things stay in balance... but put half a dozen together, and with maybe 4 adults to ride herd... :eek:

By the way, on my cruise last year we were seated at a table for six: a married couple, my mom and myself, and a woman about my age and her 13-year-old daughter. The 13-year-old was excellent, a real young lady, so as your twins grow up some more and get into cruising and travelling I would be super happy to have them around each night. It's just the really young ones, even the best ones, who can be a bit wearing to me. I figure when a younger person has got it together enough to have dinner at 8pm and get through the main course still feeling like they're not bored to tears, then they've got it together enough to be a great addition to any table I'm at. The 13-year-old from last year would stay through the main course, and then take off to hang out with all the new friends she was making onboard! It was neat to see her the next night and hear about what she and her new friends were doing and how good a time they were all having.

It's just the really young ones, even the best ones, who can be a bit wearing to me.
Our little exception, just over 2 at the time, late seating. I can't help myself. Not sure who was having a better time -- Ethan or our sommelier.

ethan2.jpg.32cb1af99e23daba1208f69d58bf2419.jpg

Oh yeah... that picture reminded me of the other reason I'd welcome folks with kids at my table :D --would mean the table would get more visits from nice female crew members :D

Dave (ducking just in case)

No problem with Kids as long as they are well behaved. On the other hand can we request a table without 'old fogies' who seem to moan and gripe about everything.

Last year we were on a table for 12 with 8 other fantastic people. On Lobster night we were joined by an old couple who almost ruined the night with their constant complaining over everything. They are also on our table photo, who are they....absolutely no idea.

Our little exception, just over 2 at the time, late seating. I can't help myself. Not sure who was having a better time -- Ethan or our sommelier.

Oh, he's adorable! But still, as cute as he is, and as wonderful as he is, I know myself. I just can't guarantee that I can take any very young kid, even a perfect angel, 7 nights in a row. But I would never blame my personal feelings on you or your kid, and really don't think you or anyone in your position should take it personally -- it's just me, and how I feel. And that's just the plain truth on this topic for me.

Archived