Using Private tours

master7030

My husband and I are going on the July 29 Treasures of the Continent from Dover, England. Before we book tours from the ship, as we have always done in the past, can anyone recommend private tours to book from any of these ports:Amsterdam, Bruges, Hon fleur, or Bordeaux?

Thank you,

Master7030

My husband and I are going on the July 29 Treasures of the Continent from Dover, England. Before we book tours from the ship, as we have always done in the past, can anyone recommend private tours to book from any of these ports:Amsterdam, Bruges, Hon fleur, or Bordeaux?

Thank you,

Master7030

I'd suggest that you do a search for those city names on the Baltic/Northern Europe Board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Not only will you find out which guides are recommended, but you'll also get invaluable information about transfers, how to get cash and scheduling that you might never have thought to ask.

Amsterdam we did on our own. The ship docks quite near to town, well within walking distance. We however chose not to walk but to take a canal boat in. There is a canal boat departure point to the right of the passenger terminal. It's the Amsterdam equivilant of the Hop On Hop Off double decker buses! We bought our tickets inside the passenger terminal and used the tickets all day to take us too and from all the sites we needed to see.

Bruges -I booked a taxi in to Bruges with bruges taxi service http://www.brugsetaxiservice.com/eng.html The cost is quite reasonable with a group of 6-8 people. Once in Bruges we made our own way about - meeting our taxi driver back at the agreed time and place.

I can't help you with the other sites!!

Honfleur is also do-able on your own. The main question is are you really docking in Honfleur or are you docking in Le Havre? We took a taxi from Le Havre (fairly expensive but not out of sight in May 2001) and the bus back. If you are musicians, I highly recommend the Maisons Satie.

It's a charming little fishing town. We loved it.

Bruges -I booked a taxi in to Bruges with bruges taxi service http://www.brugsetaxiservice.com/eng.html The cost is quite reasonable with a group of 6-8 people. Once in Bruges we made our own way about - meeting our taxi driver back at the agreed time and place.

We also used Bruges taxi service, and found it reasonable and reliable. I booked it before the cruise and found two other couples to join us.

If you are interested in seeing the Anne Frank house or the major museums in Amsterdam (we liked the Van Gogh Museum--it's smaller and more accessible), you might want to buy your tickets online in advance. There are always long lines for these attractions.

Have a great trip!

Archived