Breakfast Rituals...

block

On both our cruises we've ordered room service breakfast on the first morning. Eating outside when it's warm (in January...ahhh), sunny and peaceful is just the best thing in the world.

All the other mornings we are in the buffet :D

We love the huge amount of choices and we are definitely not afraid of bad hygiene. We wash our hands before and after and we've been fine.

Would like to try the MDR next time though ;)

We travel w/ another couple (good friends of 40 yrs). They tend to be late risers..9 or 9:30, whereas we are typically up by 7...so we order continental bfast the nite before using the door hanger tag (HAL) and specifying 7:30 delivery. That way we can sit on the balcony with our books, coffee, OJ croissants and danish and enjoy a quiet 90 min or so before heading up to the lido w/ our friends about 9:30.

As bfast is one of my fav meals, that way I get to have it twice. Generally means a salad and maybe soup for lunch, but works for us. Not quite as leisurely on port days, but we tend to book trips that are not port intensive as we've been to most of the usual stops once or twice before.

• 1 month later...

It depends on what the schedule is for that day. I am an early riser anyway. If we have a very early excursion, we put out the room service door hanger the night before, and I usually get a bowl of berries, whole wheat toast and peanut butter. Our cabin stewards have been very good about keeping our fruit basket supplied with fruit we like, so I'll have sliced bananas as well. (BTW, PB is not on the hanger, I write it on and always get it.) Mom gets mostly the same, but my coffee is regular, her's is decaf so I get a whole pot!. That way I can be getting showered, dressed, etc. while I nibble. Late excursions, or sea days, we love the MDR. HAL has a new MDR breakfast menu, and it looks like I can have a different benedict almost every day!

• 2 weeks later...

"Home or away for 47 years, DH breaks fast as soon after 5 a.m. as he can find food and drink, usually an orange and coffee. DW considers breakfast before 9:30 a.m. barbaric. Aboard the cruise ship, lately a Norwegian, DH is waiting at the podium for Blue Lagoon to open or at the aft outdoor buffet for the first available cup of coffee. DW orders coffee and muesli with yogurt for delivery at 9, then meets DH in the main buffet for an interesting selection of fresh fruit and pastry"

What a perfect compromise. How lovely!

I'm a type 2 diabetic so I always eat a decent breakfast with eggs of some kind. On Carnival except for the salmon which I do like, no eggs, their Room Service Breakfast is mostly carbs breads/fruit/cereals which I can't eat. But most mornings I enjoy the relaxation of the MDR which is why I cruise - R&R for me. The bacon seems to be better and the sausages in the buffet are not cooked to my liking as in the MDR, not bad just different combinations. Plus I like the service. Afterwards I go to the rear of the Lido deck and sit at a quiet spot, have some tea and write in my journal and read, lovely...

On port days, room service is our wake-up call. A leisurely breakfast on the balcony, then off to shower and get ready for the day.

On sea days, up to the gym, back to shower, then breakfast in the MDR. Or lunch, if I slept in.

And always, my first breakfast in the MDR is eggs benedict. That's about the only time I have them, and it's always the kick-off to a great vacation!

Port days we get up early to maybe watch it dock and have a buffet breakfast whilst up there, back down and get ready to disembark!

Sea days we like the MDR, hubby loves eggs benedict and I like to see whats on the special that morning or just order whatever I fancy!:D

We did do some room service breakfasts but prefer to eat out of the room :)

The whole dining experience is a massive part of our holiday, I think I do prefer the MDR as I love the unhurried laid back feel to it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We usually call room service when we wake up. Coffee and danish or fruit while we get dressed. Then to the MDR for breakfast.

Occasionally we will use the door hanger. But we prefer not to have a preset time.....might be up early...might sleep in. Hey, it's a cruise:D

Charlie

Room service was our wake up call!

Coffee, croissants and fruit every morning on the balcony!

cruisedivanj

Sounds familiar. I am up very early dressed and out no later than 5. Hubby sleeps in. I hit the IC as soon as they open if they are not I settle for buffet coffee for that first cup. Catch the sun rise do my first mile of the day :). Then bring juice, fruit and croissants to the cabin. Hit the IC again for my latte bring that back and have breakfast with my sweetie. Crossants with honey are soooo good. This is why I walk alot I love my meals from all venues.

Archived