Looking for advice

cjrs

Ok so here is the question that has been bugging me. My family is taking the Carnival Legend in April to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. Of those 4 ports which ones really require a scheduled excursion to be worth getting off the ship. Belize sounds like the perfect example of a destination that is not worth getting off the ship without an excursion planned. I am hoping that at least in Cozumel and Grand Cayman it would be ok to go out on out own

From what I understand Belize is the one place where you should really try to do an excursion through the ship. It's tender distance is significantly longer than tendering in Grand Cayman, so each boatful takes longer to turn around. Priority for tendering always goes to people on ship excursions, so you'll be assured to make it off the ship in time.

From what I remember of Cozumel, it's easy to get around on your own. In fact, the last time we were there, our excursion person never picked us up, so we *had* to go out on our own. We made it to the chankanaab park and also did a lot of shopping and exploring all on our own. No problems at all. It was all pretty touristy though--"real Mexico" wasn't any place we could get to on our own from there without getting really lost.

Ok so here is the question that has been bugging me. My family is taking the Carnival Legend in April to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Belize. Of those 4 ports which ones really require a scheduled excursion to be worth getting off the ship. Belize sounds like the perfect example of a destination that is not worth getting off the ship without an excursion planned. I am hoping that at least in Cozumel and Grand Cayman it would be ok to go out on out own

Coz is easy to do on your own. Either a beach like Mr Sanchos or Paradise Beach, an AI like nachi Cocum (reserve in advance) or just shopping and wandering around San Miguel's Plaza.

GC can be expensive to just shop and and eat. You can hang on th ebeach at 7 Mile Beach, but if you've never done it, Sting Ray City is a must do at least once and it takes an excursion, ship or private to do this.

In Roatan you can save a bit of money by using the facilities at Mahogany Bay for an average beach experience, but you miss the great Western beaches by not booking an excursion or grabbing a cab to there. Try Bananrama or Fosters or Half Moon Bay for stops.

Belize is indeed an excursion port because you tender in a great distance and very little to do for tourists in Belize City. Mayan ruin excursions are good options. If you're looking for an options other than snorkeling off the reefs, try cavetubing. If none of that appeals to you, then at least tender over to the Tourism Village and have a conch fritter and a Belikin beer at the Wet Lizard. On ship ship it will be a nice quiet day though.

We just got off that very cruise 2 weeks ago and the only port that we did an organized excursion on was Belize (we did the Coral Breeze excursion "Shark/Ray Alley Snorkeling and Cay Caulker Exploration and we LOVED it!). Grand Cayman we snorkeled at Eden's Rock (turn right out of the tender terminal and it is only a couple minute walk up the street) then took the public bus to the public beach for a few hours. Cozumel we took a cab ($10) to Chankanaab for the day (that is our favorite place to go while in port there...have been there 3 times and did dolphin discovery once). In Roatan we just relaxed on Mahogony Beach. Very relaxing and free which is always nice :D I think other then Belize you can definitely find things to do on your own without a planned excursion. However, with Belize you really need to do one since there really is very little at the port and it is not terribly safe to wander off the beaten path too much. Have fun!

Not sure why you wouldn't want to do excursions at each or most ports. If it's the Carnival ship excursion pricing, then shop around on here and find cheap, reputable ones outside of Carnival. It's really not that daunting.

You can swim with stingrays in Grand Cayman for $35 ($27.50 for kids)...just walk right to the tour booth from the tender dock. For $30 more, you can add the Hell, Turtle Farm and island tour. Credit card on file, but no money down.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/stingraycitytours-snorkeloverview.html

In Roatan, try Victor Bodden. The Zip 'n Dip was fantastic. No money down.

http://www.boddentours.com/index.htm

We enjoyed Goff's Caye with Ecological Tours in Belize...just $45 for adults. We actually got a $5 discount (so, $40) for booking online. No money down.

http://www.ecotoursbelize.com/index.html

I've never understood why people cruise and then not participate in excursions. There are just too many once-in-a-lifetime opportunities out there waiting for you.

Out of the four, though...I'd choose Belize. Carnival owns nice shopping centers at Cozumel and Roatan.

-pitterpattershoppe

Archived