Hotel in Houston??????

asrey04

I will be sailing on Norwegian Sea out of Houston and need to know which hotel or area is best for that. I am not adverse to using Priceline but have no clue as to what area. I will fly into IAH.

~Jennifer and Kathy

We previously lived in Houston, but that was 20+ years ago. The area near the IAH is a pretty good area to stay in but still a way from the Port of Houston. A better area might be the Galleria area. There's lots of shopping and restaurants there. I wouldn't stay in the Port area though. Be sure to bid at least a 3* hotel in order to assure you get a good one.

Until my next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;04;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Next Up - ELATION - Independence Day 2004

CRUISIN FOR LIFE....

HAL Ryndam 2/2000

HAL Zaadam 8/2000

Celebrity Infinity 10/2001

RCCL Rhapsody 11/2002

RCCL Majesty 8/2003

HAL Zuiderdam 10/2003

Celebrity SUMMIT 4/2004

We moved from an area near IAH last year. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a nice hotel near the airport. The Galleria has good shopping, hotels, and dining, but the traffic in the area is terrible most of the time. If you are traveling on the weekend from the airport to the port, it shouldn't take more than 1 1/2 hours. If you have any specific questions I will try to find the answers for you.

Hi, our family is staying at Doubletree Post Oak for a pre-cruise stay in August. How is the hotel and the area? How far is it from the pier-we want to get on the Sea as early as possibe. What about transportation for 9? Easy or hard-taxis or shuttle van? We don't have pre arranged transportation back and forth. Can the hotel concierge arrange this for us?

Thanks for the help

Ducky icon_biggrin.gif

ducky1968: I don't know if there is a rental car company in Galveston that you could drop a car at, but that my be an option. From the Doubletree (Post Oak Area) it is about 1 hr so I don't know if even the hotel staff could help. You can go to www.galveston.com and there is a list of limo/shuttle services. GOOD LUCK.

Until my next cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00bfff&cdt=2004;7;04;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

CRUISIN FOR LIFE....

HAL Ryndam 2/2000

HAL Zaadam 8/2000

RCCL Rhapsody 11/2002

RCCL Majesty 8/2003

HAL Zuiderdam 10/2003

Celebrity SUMMIT 4/2004

I always recommend staying as close to the pier as possible (vs. near the airport, in this instance).

Leaves less room for complications in case their is car trouble, traffic, etc. As well, board the ship and realize you left something back at the hotel... easy enough to go get it if it's nearby. If the hotel is a few hours away.. forget it!

Priceline and Hotwire are very good in the area.

-thereuare

<font size="3">BetterBidding</font>

Ducky 1968: Are you talking about the Galveston port or Houston? An area close to Galveston is Texas City and they have hotels. Nothing fancy, probably only 2 and 2/12* but only about 15 min., however if it is the Port of Houston that is much closer. Look around the Astrodome/Astroworld area.

Until my next cruise

CRUISIN FOR LIFE....

HAL Ryndam 2/2000

HAL Zaadam 8/2000

RCCL Rhapsody 11/2002

RCCL Majesty 8/2003

HAL Zuiderdam 10/2003

Celebrity SUMMIT 4/2004

Has anyone tried staying at a hotel near the airport (preferably one with an airport shuttle service) and then gone back to the airport the next day to take NCL shuttle to the pier? That seems like it might work but may be too cumbersome. If you have tried it or used the NCL shuttle from the airport let me know how it went.

~Jennifer and Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

The "nicest" area that is closest to Galveston without being in Galveston is Clearlake. I'd stay there. Its about a 20 minute drive to the Galveston pier from there. This is where the Nasa space town is as well as the lake and Keema pier and lots of shopping and restaurants.

Cristin

If you are sailing out of Galveston don't stay in Houston especially near IAH that is over an hour away I would stay in Galveston or Clear Lake depending on what kind of hotel you want. If it is Summer season hotels in Galveston will be pricey but Clear Lake much less so - or should be. Good Luck

Archived