Travel with rollator/walker

huggs

Due to unexpected recovery issues following a knee replacement and subsequent injury to the other knee I have decided to use a rollator/walker on our upcoming trip to Hawaii and cruise .

I am new to this concept and just wanting reassurance that I will not have any issues with the airline ( Alaska) and or the cruise ship. I know it will fold up and I can tuck it by the window /balcony in our cabin and in the hotel room. Any tips or information I may need to know when travelling with this kind of mobility aid ? Can I take the basket ( ie airlines ok with that ? )

Thank you.

Yes, you can bring an attached basket, but carry it on board the plane. I also bring a bunge cord to hold the walker together during transit. Be sure to get a walker with the folding seat. It is a lifesaver in lines and when walking gets too much.

Yes, you can bring an attached basket, but carry it on board the plane. I also bring a bunge cord to hold the walker together during transit. Be sure to get a walker with the folding seat. It is a lifesaver in lines and when walking gets too much.

Thank you Eileen. I will give some thought to the basket, I can always hang my beach bag on the front. Great tip re the bungee cord and then we can use it to keep door open on balcony ( ooops..did I say that ) . It if fully walker with a seat and that is my rationale for using it. I do not mind standing in lines, but will need to sit when standing becomes too painful. However, should I be offered boarding assistance I will consider. I can only stand about 10-15 mins max.

Huggs

My husband also takes his walker with him on vacation. At the airports they are usually very nice in helping you. You can board early and I would also tell them so they maybe can help you with any connection flights that you need to make. They will send a person with a cart to pick you up and drop you off at your next gate if needed. They will also let you go to front of lines so you do not need to stand in lines for a long period of time. You may just need to ask an assistant what is the best for you, but please get the help you will need it.

For the cruise you may not even need to fold it up, we do not. It fits between the bed and wall so no need to do anything special with it.

Do not worry and enjoy your cruise.

My husband also takes his walker with him on vacation. At the airports they are usually very nice in helping you. You can board early and I would also tell them so they maybe can help you with any connection flights that you need to make. They will send a person with a cart to pick you up and drop you off at your next gate if needed. They will also let you go to front of lines so you do not need to stand in lines for a long period of time. You may just need to ask an assistant what is the best for you, but please get the help you will need it.

For the cruise you may not even need to fold it up, we do not. It fits between the bed and wall so no need to do anything special with it.

Do not worry and enjoy your cruise.

Thanks...fortunately we only have one non-stop airfare, from a small lovely airport, and then will be cruising back to our home port. I figured I would park it in the room somewhere ..there are 3 of us sharing cabin, but if need be, I can walk some distance with out, so can always stash it in the shower stall during the night :p.

Yes and no is the answer to your question. Yes you are required to gate check it if the plane does not have a closet (and lots do not) as it will not fit in the overhead bin. No, you don't have to gate check it if the plane has a closet it can fit in. But even if the plane has a closet if you are not the first person who requests the use of the closet someone else may need it for their walker/wheelchair and by the time you check in the space will be gone. I've had a paint scrape (mine is burgundy so I noticed) and a minor dent but no damage that prevented its use.

Eileen, thanks for the bungee cord tip. That is only thing I dislike bout rollator, it doesn't stay folded! On the last cruise I put rollator on the balcony & used it for an extra seat as there were 4 of us in a cabin!

But even if the plane has a closet if you are not the first person who requests the use of the closet someone else may need it for their walker/wheelchair and by the time you check in the space will be gone.

I have never had any luck with putting a walker in the closet space on the plane. The closet space is always full of the pilots and attendants cases.

When I flew with my walker, ( a large one with seat and basket) I put two zip ties on the basket to secure it to the walker... that way the two would not be separated during transit.

I was able to use it as far as the actual plane, then used my cane to get to my seat. The walker was left at the entrance and was stored in with the baggage, once landed I just stayed put until it was brought to the ramp and i used that to get to the tram they sent to get me to the luggage area. Just ask when at the airport, and you will get awesome service to assist you.

When I flew with my walker, ( a large one with seat and basket) I put two zip ties on the basket to secure it to the walker... that way the two would not be separated during transit.

I was able to use it as far as the actual plane, then used my cane to get to my seat. The walker was left at the entrance and was stored in with the baggage, once landed I just stayed put until it was brought to the ramp and i used that to get to the tram they sent to get me to the luggage area. Just ask when at the airport, and you will get awesome service to assist you.

Thank you...I like the idea of not having to lug the basket on board with, so the zip ties wuold work. We fly out of a small airport so not too concerned I will not be able to walk a bit of distance...and will see how we fair in Honolulu. This has been very distressing for me...I had knee repalced so I could walk around and enjoy this vacation and now my othe knee is worse than the first one ever was !!! I am even considering booking a wheelchair for our cruise through cruise vacations in case I have a bad day. Then again, I know most cruise lines have wc's that can be used for ocassional use, so trying to decide if it is worth it to pay all that money for a "might need a wheelchair" or not. Has anyone had experience with borrowing as needed a cruise line wheelchair ?? I certainly do not want to take both a walker and a wheelchair with us. I figure walker can be stored in shower at night, and w/c can be folded up and tucked in corner by bed and balconydoor/wall.

*** Sigh****so not what I had planned. But darnit...not going to let it ruin my vacation.

Thanks again for all the tips everyone.

I borrowed a wheelchair from the cruise line once, rented a transport chair once and now own a travelscoot scooter. The borrowed chair was what a would call a clunker. The wheels rattled and it seemed to be ready to fall apart. I understand that borrowing one can be an iffy proposition now and would not rely on it. I will never again use a transport chair. These chairs have small rear wheels and are very uncomfortable. For all of these reasons I bought a travelscoot (not inexpensive) and am now a happy camper. You will probably find that you can rent a chair at home much cheaper than from a group that supplies the cruise line. I think it is somewhat easy to travel with both a walker and a wheelchair. I sit in the chair with the collapsed walker over my knees. I can still stand for short periods and walk short distances. My primary problem is post-polio but I have had three knee replacements and one hip. The primary benefit from the surgeries for me has been the ability to sleep. I do like not waking up every time I turn over due to the joint pain.

• 10 months later...
Do airlines require you to gate check a rollator? If so, has anyone had problems with damage? Thanks

We once had the handle/brake on a rollator break. The airline sent it to be repaired and provided us with a replacement to use until ours was returned.

Do airlines require you to gate check a rollator? If so, has anyone had problems with damage? Thanks

I had taken a cruise on the Adventure of the Seas. I had gate checked my Rollerator in Atlanta, but neglected to inform the flight crew that my rollerator was on the Jetway, as a result the rollerator did not make the flight and I wasted some time in San Juan at lost luggage. They said that they would try to get the rollerator on the next available flight. Came time for the ship to sail and I did not see my rollerator. Not too much of a problem since I had arranged to have a scooter delivered to my cabin, but I was somewhat annoyed. However, the Rollerator did magically appear in my cabin the next day at sea, so it had been delivered to the ship, jut too late to be delivered to my cabin. To avoid this kind of hassle, make sure you inform the flight crew that you have a gate checked item and they can make sure it gets on the plane.

• 3 weeks later...

I use one and have always gate checked it and then waited till the other passengers left and it was waiting for me. However, because of the long walks I also have a wheelchair waiting for me and my husband rolled the walker. That way I had the walker at the next gate to go to the bathroom and to the gate. I would however call the airline and make sure that they know that you need to have it gate checked and you need a wheelchair. I usually take my basket onto the airline just to keep it safe but maybe next time I will have my husband bring some zip ties just in case. Air France it seems is a little less lenient with things so not sure if they will make me leave it. I have to call Delta yet to confirm that it won't be a problem with when we fly to France next month.

tigercat

I've had an Evergreen "rollator" (large, extra heavy duty) since 2006, and it has been with me on numerous air flights and 10 cruises (plus a number of shore excursions). (Too bad it doesn't have its own frequent traveler number!)

As for airports, I get wheelchair assistance and ride, holding my walker (which doesn't fold very much). 'Gate check' means get a tag for the walker (which should say what airport it is to be returned to you, on the jetway). Then, either I'm rolled down the jetway in wheelchair, or I walk myself with walker down the jetway (boarding in first group). Either way, the walker is left at the end of the jetway (like moms do with strollers). So far, (knock on wood) walker has always reappeared at the next jetway. If it shows up before the wheelchair person, then I may walk myself up the jetway to the terminal, and get wheelchair assistance there to my connecting gate (or luggage claim if at my destination).

Since my walker has a large wire basket (under the seat), I leave the basket at home and use a canvas tote looped, tied, or bungeed to the front of my walker. (I attach that bag after I board the ship.) I noted that someone uses nylon ties to hold their wire basket to their walker, but I'm afraid my basket might not survive.

Meanwhile, I have seen rollators with canvas bags (a little longer than the size to hold a 6-pack). I may try to find such a bag for mine. (The usual bag that hangs on the front of a 'standard' aluminum walker does not have long enough straps to be attached to my walker.)

Be sure that the cruise line knows you will want wheelchair assistance at the embarking (and disbarking) port(s).

Since traveling has a fair amount of time "waiting around" , use your rollator seat to rest your knee whenever you can. Bon voyage!

The last few cruises I have used a cane but this is the first time I am using a rollator/walker. I thought this was such a great idea since I tire so using a cane but as the time nears, I have questions. How do I get up & down the steep gangways? Do you leave it outside of the restaurants on the ship and if so will it be there when I come out? I know the pros---could someone tell me the cons so that I will be prepared.

The last few cruises I have used a cane but this is the first time I am using a rollator/walker. I thought this was such a great idea since I tire so using a cane but as the time nears, I have questions. How do I get up & down the steep gangways? Do you leave it outside of the restaurants on the ship and if so will it be there when I come out? I know the pros---could someone tell me the cons so that I will be prepared.

First off, I need my rollator to walk, so it always goes with me (or, rather, I go with it!) So far, (on HAL, Celebrity, and RCL), there has always been a willing crew member to take my rollator down (and up) the steep gangways, as I walk myself up, using the hand rails (at ports of call). The guys manning the security scan will call someone over if needed. (I ask for wheelchair assistance at embarkation and disembarkation.) My rollator has also gone with me on tenders, and tender staff have helped. (It may be put somewhere or I may hold it in front of me.)

I also take mine to my table in the dining room, and a waiter or assistant will take it and "park" it relatively close by. Keep an eye on where they put it, so you can ask someone (may not be same waiter who took it) to return it to you so you can leave the dining room. (Personally, I do not allow them to put my rollator outside the dining room -- I want it in the same room with me.)

One "advantage" of using a rollator (vs. a cane) is that support staff are more aware that you may need assistance! Various crew have always been helpful to me.

• 5 months later...

I am new to thiis board and joined because we'll be taking our first cruise on the Disney Dream in November. I have walking issues and decided to get a rollator, which just arrived today. I didn't realize that they don't fold up as well as I would like, but I'm so happy to have found this thread, because the bungee cord idea is a truly welcomed tip! I also feel better knowing that I won't be the only one who has ever used a rollator on a cruise, it makes me feel more at ease.

I am new to thiis board and joined because we'll be taking our first cruise on the Disney Dream in November. I have walking issues and decided to get a rollator, which just arrived today. I didn't realize that they don't fold up as well as I would like, but I'm so happy to have found this thread, because the bungee cord idea is a truly welcomed tip! I also feel better knowing that I won't be the only one who has ever used a rollator on a cruise, it makes me feel more at ease.

Welcome and glad you found us !

You definitely won't be the first to use a rollator on a cruise. Though I rent a mobility scooter for the cruise, I still take my rollator. Make certain you put a luggage tag on it. I also place a couple address return labels on various parts of the rollator just in case the luggage tag falls off.

Welcome and glad you found us !

You definitely won't be the first to use a rollator on a cruise. Though I rent a mobility scooter for the cruise, I still take my rollator. Make certain you put a luggage tag on it. I also place a couple address return labels on various parts of the rollator just in case the luggage tag falls off.

Thank you so much for the helpful hints. I'm so happy I found this wonderful group of people. Like I said, we've never been on a cruise before. We live near Disney and go often and I usually use a wheelchair, but many times, I prefer to walk and I use my chair as a walker. I like the idea of the rollator and ordered one and I think it's going to work out great.

Thanks again.

Archived