Where to go whale watching

tkq

We are traveling on the NCL Star this June with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Prince Rupert. All my reading tells me the best place to whale watch is in Juneau, but we have limited time there and would like to do the Glacier. For those of you that have been to these ports, which is the best option for whale watching?

Although i havnt been yet i have been checking out the shore excursions for NCL and there is an excursion where you can do both. I got this from there website

Alaskas whales and rainforest trails.

Juneau is a spectacular place of diverse, natural habitats from valley glaciers, to temperate forests and natural fjords. This exploratory journey introduces you to this pristine wilderness in an intimate setting with a Certified Naturalist Guide as your leader. Whale sightings are guaranteed on this small group outing combining a marine exploration with a gentle hike at the Mendenhall Glacier on a rain forest trail. Your trip begins with your guide sharing stories and perspectives as you travel out to the Mendenhall Glacier. A short hike takes you along a wooded path once completely covered by the massive glacier. Spend an hour exploring amid forested moraines and sweeping glacial landscapes—even track the glacier's recession over the past 100 years. This small corner of the Tongass National Forest is home to beavers, eagles, salmon, porcupines and black bears. Following a short drive, you’ll climb aboard an exploration vessel specifically designed for up-close wildlife viewing. The customized covered watercraft puts you eye-to-eye with the denizens that thrive in these protected waters. Humpback whales, orcas, sea lions, porpoises, seals and sea birds are commonly seen. Keep a camera handy as you travel from place to place or drift quietly to capture the behaviors and antics of these notable marine residents. The small group size of this tour ensures a personal and interactive atmosphere making the most of this authentic Alaska experience. Note: Participants must be able to walk on their own for over an hour covering a distance up to a mile. Infants must be carried in an infant backpack. We recommend you dress in layers and wear sturdy, comfortable walking shoes. Walking distance is approximately 1.5 miles on an improved level trail. This tour operates in all weather conditions. Liability waiver required to be signed in the presence of the tour operator. Whale sightings are guaranteed or you’ll receive $100 cash back ($50 for children) as you disembark the whale-watching vessel

It goes for 5 hours.

Not sure if its exactly what you are after, although you see the glacier by the reviews you dont actually get to "walk" on.

Hope this helps

Harv and Marv's or Orca, booked independently, are your very best options in Juneau. Don't be "scared" to go independant, often less price, but a tremendous better tour (more time, no big groups, etc.). It great to work the locals, You can just do a email search. Harv and Marv will even drop you off at Mendenhall. There are city shuttle buses that you catch right off the boat (just go up the hill). I think it only cost $10-15.00 round trip. Mendenhall hall is a easy tour to do by yourself. Save some $$ for your other ports. We are going for our 3rd summer in a row, and I will only book directly over a ship tour...with never a problem...the local operators are great to work with and will malke you feel comfortable.

You'll love Alaska!

As the OP states, they are only there a short port time. IF Mendenhall is a priority, a suggestion would be to get off the ship as soon as it clears- then get a cab direct to Mendenhall. Orca Enterprises, in the past, has had 9:30am whale watches scheduled- VERIFY this. Inquire, what time the boat leaves Auke Bay and take a cab DIRECT to there, 45 minutes prior. You should have about an hour at Mendenhall, if you have a 7am port time.

The combo ship tour, is another possibility, but, their "hiking" is NOT of the glacier and with no glacier viewing. All wooded, once they are on the walk. Depending on the cost- this is easily done for free, via the Trail of Time, which is very well marked. Most people are interested in the Nugget Falls trail, up to the water falls, with full glacier viewing the entire walk.

Hubby and I went whale watching with Harv and Marv in 2009 and they were wonderful. Small boats with very personal attention. I am going back in May with some girlfriends and I have already booked a repeat trip with them. I'm sure that trip will be as good as my first one!

Archived