I can't swim.....HELP!!

caramel37

You do not need to swim for the stingray city part of any tour - you climb off the boat via a ladder onto a sand bar (about 3 feet deep) to feed and interact (or kiss :o) the rays.

My kids did the dolphin thing in Cozumel and wore life jackets the entire time. Most of the time they were standing in shallow water or on a submerged platform - the only time you needed to "swim/float" was when you were waiting to ride on the dolphin's fin. Explain your issue to the guides and they should be able to help you out. Have a good cruise! :)

You do not need to swim for the stingray city part of any tour - you climb off the boat via a ladder onto a sand bar (about 3 feet deep) to feed and interact (or kiss :o) the rays.

My kids did the dolphin thing in Cozumel and wore life jackets the entire time. Most of the time they were standing in shallow water or on a submerged platform - the only time you needed to "swim/float" was when you were waiting to ride on the dolphin's fin. Explain your issue to the guides and they should be able to help you out. Have a good cruise! :)

Thanks for the info. Hopefully, it'll all work out.

You should really learn how to swim. You never know when you're going to be in a situation where you'll need it. What if you go watch your kids swim somewhere and they get in trouble? You can't go in to help them if you can't swim. It's not that hard and never too late to learn, go take some classes!

My boys and I would like to do stingray city and the dolphin swim, but I can't swim, is it really necessary to know how to swim when doing the dolphin excursion? Just want to make sure so I won't drown. :)

I know our boat stopped and anchored in about 10 feet of water and the swim to the sand bar was about 20 feet. My wife, who is a very poor swimmer, basically rode on my back the 20 feet to the sand bar. The water there is 3 to 4 feet deep depending on the tide. I am sure if you go with a reputable group that they will have life vests. It is worth the effort as these creatures are incredible. I hope you and your kids have a wonderful time as I know it is something you all will talk about the rest of your life.

Cheers, Kenn

We have done both types of excursions.

For the dolphin swim, you will be in water deep enough for the Dolphins to swim. They will give you life vests but you will need to be comfortable with this to enjoy it.

For Stingray City, the boats will get in close and the water is not very deep. Here, you can walk around and most people don't wear life vests but I am sure you could.

3762631601_44a057c0ec.jpg

We've been to stingray sandbar several times and all but once we were in fairly shallow water. On our first visit, the water was up to my chin (I'm 5') and I was standing on my tip-toes. This came as a complete surprise since I read that the water was pretty shallow. That particular day there were a lot of boats at the sandbar, so maybe it just depends on where the boat can anchor, but I am glad this has not happened again. It's something we enjoy doing whenever we're visiting the island.

You should really learn how to swim. You never know when you're going to be in a situation where you'll need it. What if you go watch your kids swim somewhere and they get in trouble? You can't go in to help them if you can't swim. It's not that hard and never too late to learn, go take some classes!

Great advice! I started taking classes on the 19th, actually. Hopefully, I'll be able to swim by the 1st of April. I only can take two more classes before we leave for the cruise and I'll continue when we get back.

Archived