FLorence,Pisa/Lucca or Cinque Terre HELP

Emma1

Going on med cruise on July 9th with Disney and stopping in LaSpezia. My family's first trip there (DH,DS12,DD14,DD15). Our choices are:

1)Go to Florence. Maybe stop at Tower of Pisa

2)Pisa/Lucca -actually have a Romeinlimo tour booked here

3)Cinque Terra

This is the day of my son's 12th birthday. I thought going to Florence was way to long in the car ( but this day actually follows a day at sea). So thought going to the Tower was a closer good option and then to Lucca and maybe somewhere else.

But should we do Cinque Terre instead? Going to Florence may be better on a separate trip where we could stay a few days. Plus what if it rains and I have a private tour booked.

I am really confused on this day - I keep flipflopping on my decision. Any input would be helpful. I am so afraid of stressing the family out on this day.

Florence would mean four hours in the car, and that's assuming you don't hit any bad traffic. That doesn't leave you with a lot of time to see one of the most history and art dense cities in the world. Plus, it's July and will be hot-hot-hot in the city.

Pisa and Lucca is about half of that time and seems more logical than Florence.

However, I think the best idea is to stay local and spend your day exploring Cinque Terre. Especially after a sea day, it's a great opportunity to get out and stretch your legs. You can walk several of the paths, and take the train between towns when you're tired, or hot, or don't want to push yourselves. You can also take the ferry and see the area from the water. Also, it's on the water, so it should be at least a tad cooler than the city.

Some sites you may want to look at:

the national park site: http://www.parco****onale5terre.it/?id_lingue=2

general tourist info: http://cinqueterreonline.com/index.html

I would second Cingue Terra - only problem is you will want to return! Easy train ride to all 5 towns where each is a little different and lots to see or do.

Too much to do in Florence for one day.

Haven't been to Pisa.

Florence/Pisa/Lucca is better for land trip or ships arriving in Livorno port while La Spezia is not easy to reach. If your ship stops in La Spezia, take this chance to explore Cinque Terre. Keep other places for later!

Several years ago while on a cruise, we did a Florence walking tour with time on our own excursion, which we booked through the ship. It was the end of June. My 2 kids were 12 and 14 at the time. The bus dropped us off, the tour guide explained some of the sites to us and then we were free to wander around for a few hours. My husband and I and our kids enjoyed it very much. The shopping is very good, especially for leather goods. The famous Ponte Vecchia bridge offers many jewelry stores. My kids loved the gelato. Florence is a very beautiful city and your kids should go there at least once. So, if you think you are going to get back to Italy, then I would do Florence then when there was more time.

Last summer, while on another cruise, we decided to go to Cinque Terre. My parents, who are in their mid-70's joined us. It was the end of July, so it was hot also. We booked the excursion through the ship, because it offered easy transportation and a guide. The bus dropped us off at the top of the second town, and we walked along lover's path to the first town and caught the ferry boat which took us to the fourth town past the second town that we had been dropped off at and past the third town (I guess there weren't touristy things in that town). We went to the fourth town and then the fifth town on the ferry boat where we had extra time to explore on our own. We met the bus there at the end of the day. If the waters are rough, you would take the train instead. I was really glad we got to take the ferry boat, because being on the water offered us a break from the heat which really wasn't that bad to begin with and the views are spectacular. If this is where you decide to go, don't forget to take a padlock to place on the rails. It is supposed to ensure everlasting love for you and your DH. There are thousands of them all along lover's path and many were elaborately decorated. How great would it be if your kids went back to Cinque Terre when they get older and found your padlock still there after many years.

The choice is a difficult one to make because both places offer a completely different kind of day, but if you are absolutely sure that you will be returning to Florence in the future, then go to Cinque Terre this time.

Good luck with your decision.

We would echo Euro (and the others) thoughts that if you are in La Spezia it just makes the most sense to spend you day on Cinque Terre. In fact, many travel a long distance to get to this area on day trips so you are fortunate to be right in La Spezia where you can easily grab a train over to Riomaggiore to start exploring the 5 villages (or fewer if that is your plan).

Hank

Cinque Terra gets my vote. Skip Pisa, buy a postcard. Lucca is really charming. We stayed 6 days in Florence and Umbria and still did not do it justice. The drive to florence is long from the port and its your sons b-day and you will want to spend lots of time in museums. ENJOY!! You will want to go back!

Going on med cruise on July 9th with Disney and stopping in LaSpezia. My family's first trip there (DH,DS12,DD14,DD15). Our choices are:

1)Go to Florence. Maybe stop at Tower of Pisa

2)Pisa/Lucca -actually have a Romeinlimo tour booked here

3)Cinque Terra

This is the day of my son's 12th birthday. I thought going to Florence was way to long in the car ( but this day actually follows a day at sea). So thought going to the Tower was a closer good option and then to Lucca and maybe somewhere else.

But should we do Cinque Terre instead? Going to Florence may be better on a separate trip where we could stay a few days. Plus what if it rains and I have a private tour booked.

I am really confused on this day - I keep flipflopping on my decision. Any input would be helpful. I am so afraid of stressing the family out on this day.

Another vote for Cinque Terre - taking advantage of the fact that your ship is stopping there. It means you have to take another cruise another time and stop in Livorno to go to Florence and Pisa.

Have fun. I have heard great things about the Disney Med cruise. It is a great itinerary.

What does the birthday boy want to do? Show him the choices and let him pick! (having said that, as much as I adore Florence and Lucca, I think any boy would jump at the chance to go walking along mountainside cliffs).

• 3 weeks later...

cinque terre-my kids all loved it there, we thought it was a fantastic place, and would return in a heartbeat. florence is also fantastic, but cinque terre is relaxing, water based, you can swim if you wish, just such a cool set of towns.

My best friend and I took our 21 year old sons to Italy two years ago. Hand down cinque terre was a highlight of their trip. Its like real life pirates of the carribian. We were there two nights and they loved it.

Archived