Weather end of first week of January???

Chip and Dale

All I can say is, totally unpredictable. It can be slightly below freezing or in the high 70's or even 80's. It all depends on which cold fronts make it down this far. We had snow one year, 2 years ago, in December and other years have worn shorts most of December. The best chance would probably be somewhere in the mid 50's and 60's but really, you will have to wait and see before packing for your first 2 days or so. We have taken many cruises out of New Orleans (several in Dec. and Jan.) You usually need a light jacket the first sea day then it warms up then you may need it the last sea day back up the river.

All I can say is, totally unpredictable. It can be slightly below freezing or in the high 70's or even 80's. It all depends on which cold fronts make it down this far. We had snow one year, 2 years ago, in December and other years have worn shorts most of December. The best chance would probably be somewhere in the mid 50's and 60's but really, you will have to wait and see before packing for your first 2 days or so. We have taken many cruises out of New Orleans (several in Dec. and Jan.) You usually need a light jacket the first sea day then it warms up then you may need it the last sea day back up the river.

Thanks for your help!

We did the Mexican Riviera out of LA in 2009 and were blown apart and froze on 2 of the sea days. DH wants to do this one, He has always wanted me to see NO after going to the city for a conference. We had planned to go and had to cancel after Katrina. I have visions of the same freezing weather to and from NO. We go away in the winter to escape the cold, we live in northern Ontario. We have always wanted to do a cruise for New Year's Eve. I guess we will keep our fingers crossed that the weather holds out and is unseasonably warm for us:D

Thanks again!

Dee

• 3 weeks later...

We spent 7 days in NOLA during the third week in January and the temps ranged from the mid 40s on one day to nearly 70 degrees on another. My recommendation is to bring layers and prepare for almost anything.

• 1 month later...

Yep prepare for anything. It's best to check the weather websites for temperatures. In Dec/Jan...sometimes it can be cold sometimes it can be hot! The only sure heat is summer time.:)

• 1 month later...

I agree with what everyone has said, it varies. And one thing you should know at that time of year is that the water crossing the Gulf can be very choppy. But that varies too, so just be prepared. The cruise down the river is something I really enjoyed. Have a great trip.

• 1 month later...

As others have said, the weather can be anything. But it's usually not too extreme on the cold side. Our experience has been that it's cool the morning of the first day at sea out of New Orleans and the afternoon of the last sea day going back to New Orleans.

Archived