scuba diving question

talula79

I was wondering if it would be better to scuba dive in Grand Caymen or in Cozumel? My DH is certified for open water, and I would like to try the uncertified introductory (30 ft) dive. Any suggestions?

Thanx

Both islands have excellent diving. If you want to do a discover scuba (aka resort course) Grand Cayman might be a better choice. There are some pretty good shore dives there and relatively no current, unlike Cozumel which is know for it's drift diving.

If you do a discover scuba in Grand Cayman, not thru the ship, it is likely that DH could tag along with you. Right in Georgetown where the tenders come ashore there is an easy shore dive, Eden Rock. There are 2 dive shops also right by the dive site, Edenrock diving and Abanks watersports . Contact them for more information. I am not recommending either of them personally, just providing you with information the help you plan.

If I was to do a shore dive in Grand Cayman, I would go to Divetech do the shore dive right by their shop. Even thought I haven't dived with them, I have read enough recommendations for them from people I trust. The dive site is likely to be in better condition and less crowded too. The only 2 drawbacks to going with divetech are: discover scuba cost more there, and you have to take a taxi to get there as opposed to just walking to Edenrock.

If you wanted to dive both islands, I would, then in Cozumel Eagleraydivers specializes in cruisers who want to scuba. They can accommodate both of you. They will take care of you so any current won't be an issue, it will be only fun. Actually, the current in Cozumel, while almost always present, is usually quite mild. You just go with the flow and gently drift along. You don't have to kick as much either.

I agree with Bruce,if your a newbie diver shore diving is great.It lets you go at your pace.The reef at divetech I believe it's called turtle reef(its been a while),very nice reef and very uncrowded.In fact I'm looking at my dive log right now and it says turtle reef ledge and turtle reef wall.The only thing is at this spot there was a slight current,from what my dive log says.Mike

My husband did the introductory uncertified dive with Abanks in Grand Cayman on 3/3/05 and had an amazing time!

He did not need a reservation and was able to walk up that morning and sign up...even with 7 other ships in port. And...there was only one other person who dove with him besides the guide. The most they do with one guide is 4. He said it was amazing! They went about 40 feet down and swam thru tunnels in the reef and saw some amazing things. The reef is literally right off the shore. The instruction was about 20-30 minutes and the dive was 45 minutes.

He was originally scheduled with Eden Rock Dive Center which is next to Abanks but found that Abanks was a little cheaper ($75) and the people were much friendlier...so he switched.

To get to either Abanks or Eden Rock...turn right once you get off the tender and follow the shoreline. You can't miss them. If you are on the boat...you can see both buildings Abanks is a red building with a scuba flag on the roof and Eden Rock is the Blue building next to it.

Archived