No more lounge chairs on balcony??

I was on Adventure Feb. 26 sailing in JS 9624. We had two chairs, one very small table, and a chair with an attached foot rest on the balcony. In the past I have asked the steward to remove the foot rest chair and bring a lounger. The steward said he couldn't bring a lounger. I asked if I could get one myself but he said that he remove it. He said the cabins weren't allowed to have loungers anymore due to fire risks.

My aunt put a pool towel on the balcony to lay on since we couldn't have a lounger.

I had a GS on Liberty in December. We had 2 loungers on that balcony.

We were on the radiance last April in a Junior Suite and asked for a lounger our steward who wasn't that great first denied us. We subsequently had some issues with the suite, leaking water from the tub. The floor supervisor as a token of good faith secured a lounger.

I posted a similar thread concerning freedom of the seas. We were really looking forward to spending lots of time on the loungers on our corner aft balcony. I emailed rci to inquire, but they did not respond. We took the advice of a previous cruiser in the room and bought travel hammocks just in case the loungers are gone. I wonder if we could get in trouble for using them? He told us where to attach them away from the railing to be extra safe.

If you go over to the Princess and Celebrity boards, you'll find this is also a topic of conversation there. Supposedly the loungers are not fire-proof. The pool area has sprinklers, but the balconies do not, so that's why some of the furniture can't be placed there. The new furniture that was ordered (in Princess' case), was very uncomfortable, with a tiny table.

It's just not Royal Caribbean.

It is being said that the larger suites get to keep their loungers, so are they the old style of did RCCL order new ones for the larger suites? I may be wrong, but don't think the larger suites have sprinklers on their balconies either.

I heard from a cruiser just off of the Freedom who said that there is indeed loungers on aft balconies and all suite balconies and that you can still request them for other balconies that are large enough to hold one. Yay!!!! :D

ooo thank you - that just made my day!! :D

Finally heard back from RCI and they said as long as there is room on The balcony you can have lounge chairs no matter if you are in a suite or not. They said there will be two already on our balcony and we can request up to two more if needed. If we are denied then we should go directly to guest services.

I'd like to specifically email them about loungers on an AFT JS on Explorer. Hoping I get the same positive email response back and will have a copy with me in case I get the run around while onboard.

On Jewel Aft balconies on deck 8 ( oversized d2) we had 1 loungers, 2 chairs, and one of those chairs with the foot rest. This was very nice and I would only pay for a room like this ( we upgraded to this one from and E1 after a price drop) if they can provide the extra amenity of having the lounger.

As long as this is a crap shoot, ( getting a lounger) I'm not spending my money to get the larger balconies or suites. RCL does not have enough perks to justify they extra expenses in categories.- especially suites. My next balcony is a D 8 and my money is staying in MY pocket till they are willing to provide some value for it!

• 2 weeks later...

I emailed RCI asking: "Does Liberty of the Seas provide loungers on the aft balconies ?" This is the reply I received today: "Regrettably, the aft balcony staterooms do not offer lounge chairs on the balcony. These staterooms will include a table and chairs only. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause."

I emailed RCI asking: "Does Liberty of the Seas provide loungers on the aft balconies ?" This is the reply I received today: "Regrettably, the aft balcony staterooms do not offer lounge chairs on the balcony. These staterooms will include a table and chairs only. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause."
So sorry that RCI haven't changed their policy on this ship since May 2011 when they wouldn't let us have them on our aft balcony.

• 2 months later...
they have apparently relented. I was in an aft - 1400 on Liberty - two weeks ago, and we had two loungers, a chair and a table. Every balcony that I could see appeared to have loungers as well

We had them on Liberty #1700 but not on our B2B aft cabin before that:confused:

We were not allowed lounge chairs on our Aft balcony a deck or two below our 1700 cabin the 14 nights before.

They said it had to do with the sprinklers and the distance etc. they had to cover....we had many excuses.

WOW, I sure hope so, as we are booked again on Liberty in the Fall. Fingers crossed they have relented.....

We are in 7708 on the Liberty in August, and hoping that there are loungers. It does seem that 1400 and 1700 on Deck 10 on Liberty have from what people are reporting but I saw a recent YouTube video of 7408 on the other side of deck 7 from us and it didn't have any loungers. I might just have to pack one of those portable hammocks!

Archived