Portable GPS Navigation in Venice - For Hire

Having watched a BBC holiday programme at the weekend about Venice, the presenter mentioned (and demonstrated) a new portable 'navigation' system that can be hired in St. Marks Square for 15 Euros per day. It looked really good.

I've done a quick search and I think this is what was being used http://www.planetaudioguide.com/index2.html

Laura

Laura, Thanks for the post - I think it's a great concept & sure takes the guesswork out of where you are. But at 28E for two people for 6 hours (converted from our lowly Cdn $$), I may have to stick with my guide book. However, the cost of this device vs. hiring a guide may be worthwhile as you have the option of going at your own pace and in whatever order you wish to see places.

Cathi,

From the page of the BBC website about this particular travel item

Ginny chose to use a cheaper alternative to a personal guide, an electronic one based on a satellite navigation system (GPS). Instead of giving you directions, it gives you information automatically about places of interest around Venice via a satellite. The device is prompted into action as you near certain famous landmarks. Ginny found that it took a bit of getting used to but that it was simple to use and threw up interesting facts and information as she explored. She also loved the fact that by using an electronic guide, she could choose when to have a break. In the back streets Ginny discovered plenty of good cheap places to have a rest, and was pleased to get a coffee for as little as 1.50 Euros, rather than eight Euros in the main areas.

Laura

My wife told me when we left Venice after our 4 day visit in 2003 that before we went back she wanted a GPS street navigation device the next time we visited. Now we can rent one. Cool!

Thanks for the information.

Archived