Do they give you a map?

moejoe4

We are boarding the Star in 3 days. YIPEE!! I have never been on a cruise before. I keep reading all the food locations, shows, etc that people are posting about. I have NO CLUE where these places are on the ship! Do they give you a map when you board or is there one in your room? I'll never find these places otherwise.

Thanks,

Dana

We are boarding the Star in 3 days. YIPEE!! I have never been on a cruise before. I keep reading all the food locations, shows, etc that people are posting about. I have NO CLUE where these places are on the ship! Do they give you a map when you board or is there one in your room? I'll never find these places otherwise.

Thanks,

Dana

If they don't give you one when you check in, go to the desk in the atrium on deck 7 and they will have them. You may see them on the counter, also. They are about 4 inches square and fold out.

I honestly can't remember if they give you a map or not (it's been a while), but I do know that have maps posted at several locations on each public floor of the ship. And I'm sure you could ask for one from the front desk, too.

I think it depends on the port you depart from. The Manhattan New York Port gave us the ship map with the first issue of the Freestyle Daily upon entering the ship. However, other times the map was in our cabin. However, the ship clearly marks locations throughout the ship. On the Gem, the Dolphins on the carpet are swimming towards the front of the ship. This is a great clue in the event you get turned around. :)

I've always received a little map/diagram either at check-in or in my cabin. But it sometimes seems hard to interpret, so I would suggest printing copies of the plans for "public" decks from the website (if you can figure out how to do that). I made photocopies out of their "vacation guide" brochure.

There should have been a deck map in the back of your "welcome aboard" pamphlet that came with your luggage tags. Although mine was wrong since it still had the spinnaker on deck 12. You can also get a copy at the front desk.

I always print out the deck plans from the ncl web site as these are bigger than anything that you will get on the ship.

The 2 main diningrooms are easy to remember one being mid ship 6th deck and the other aft 6th deck but you have to get to them from deck 5 or 7 not straight through deck 6. Your buffet is right next to the pool on deck 12. Right at the elevators on the side walls of each deck is the ship deck layout of the deck that you are on. The bow (front) of the boat picture points in the direction of the bow of the ship as well there are arrows.

There have always been maps available when checking in, at our port in Seattle. Also, they are available at the customer service desk in the atrium on deck 7. Sometimes there is even one in your room when you first check in.

But what I have found most helpful (for myself) ahead of cruising on a ship for the first time is to go to NCL's website and locate your ship, then just study the floor plans. It's helpful too when you are curious what is above and below you in a certain area of the ship.

Here is a little tip for a first time cruiser: (If you're interested)

For a cool, unique view when you are departing a port city, go to the very back of the ship on deck 7. It is open air, but under cover and usually we have the place to ourselves. It's fun to see the skyline of the city disappearing and you see the wake that the ship is leaving as it cuts through the water too. If you are there early in the morning you will really get some yummy smells wafting up from the bakery which is 4 decks below. For that reason alone, I'm not sure I could handle one of the aft balcony rooms! :D

Enjoy your cruise! Can't wait to hear from you when you get back. Please take care of the Star. We have been on her 3 times previously and have our 4th booked in less than 6 months from now.

On the Gem, the Dolphins on the carpet are swimming towards the front of the ship. This is a great clue in the event you get turned around. :)

I think this is true for all NCL ships--it's at least true for the one's I've been on (see below).

What, you haven't gone online and studied the deck plans over and over again since you booked your cruise?!! :confused::p:eek::o

Also, you can tell a lot by cabin numbers... Like if you are heading forward or aft, and if you are on the port or starboard.

I think this is true for all NCL ships--it's at least true for the one's I've been on (see below).

No the dawn had fishies but the star doesn't. It was just geometrical designs looked the same coming or going.

Yeah I have been on the Gem, Dawn and Majesty and only the Gem had the dolphins in the carpet facing the front of the ship. Maybe eventually all the ships will have the same pattern on the carpet.

I doubt they will eventually all have, since the Star just came out of dry dock and doesn’t have anything swimming in the direction of the bow.

I think it probably makes for good entertainment for the staff to see someone close the door to their cabin and then proceed to look up and down the hall in bewilderment as to which direction they should be going. I can’t possibly be the only passenger that’s inner compass goes haywire when on a ship. Our cabin steward would just smile when he’d see me do this and ask “where do you wish to go Miss Che” Thank goodness each side of the ship has different coloured cabin doors since when you get off the elevator doing the same thing, at least if you know the colour of your cabin door you can go directly to the right side of the ship to locate your cabin.

"...If you’re ever confused as to where you are in the ship simply look down at the carpet. Red carpet means you’re in the middle of the ship, green is aft, and blue is forward. "

After this posting I looked back to my photos of my cruise 2 weeks ago and Ottawapuppy’s and I don’t see this connection to the hallways. Unless you are just referring to the deck 7 which I really had no problem with because there is so much on that deck different. It’s when you are on a deck that everything looks the same, like a cabin hallway. Deck 10 has the same hallway rug from front to back. And the new cabins where spinnaker was on deck 12 have a beige rug.

Archived